Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting big without getting fat! page 2

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    +25!! Awesome, Lady!!

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    In my experience, it's pretty hard to gain muscle without gaining SOME fat unless you go REALLY slow. I started seriously weight training about 2.5 years ago at a weight of ~145 (5'11"). Two years later I'd gained 15 pounds or so, most of which I believe was muscle. Most of this gain was while I was eating a non-primal diet and I think it can just be attributed to the fact that I was new to weight training.

After being at a plateau for a while, I decided to try the Leangains approach - but with simply higher calories from fat post-workout instead of carbs (I was still pretty carb-phobic at the time). I did this by drinking a good bit of heavy cream in addition to fairly large meals. I gained about 8 pounds (to 165), but definitely more fat than I would have liked. So I cut back on calories and went back down to what I consider my maintenance weight (~158).

Next I tried eating lots of carbs, but low fat post-workout as Martin of Leangains actually recommends. I've been doing this for the past 2-3 months. I've only gained 3-4 pounds so far, but I think it's more muscle than last time. If I get up the courage, I may post some progress pics to compare my fat vs. carb surplus approaches. When I track my food, I usually have around 1/3 calories each from fat protein and carb on workout days (this is because my dinner after the post-workout meal is somewhat higher in fat).

My point in this long-winded post is that carbs are not necessarily evil for everyone. Grains, yes, but not primal carbs (sweet potato, winter squash, etc.). I think this is especially true for people with healthy metabolisms (non-diabetic and non-insulin resistant). And I guess my other point is that if you are already quite lean, it may be difficult and take a looonng time to add muscle mass without a small amount of fat gain, regardless of your diet (or maybe I'm just doing it wrong; I'm definitely open to suggestions).

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenbackside View Post
    Definitely yes. That's my experience.

I went from 120kg to 64kg by dieting and running. Waist line went from 40 inches to 28 inches.

Then I started to do squats, dead lifts, military presses, bench presses, pull ups and dips in the gym. Rep range is 6-10. Within 6 months, my weight went up to 72kg, while my waist remained at 28 inches. Visually, it is very obvious that I packed on quite a bit of muscle and became leaner, as its confirmed by everyone who knows me, even those who see me often.

I do notice that it takes more to satisfy my appetite now as compared with before weight training. But still, I don't weigh or count anything. I eat when I'm hungry (usually once a day) and I don't stop eating til I'm full. Thats it. I think the trick to not gaining fat is simply to eat primally. I estimate my macronutrient ratio to be 60-80% fat, 20-30% protein and less than 10% carbs (from veggies and coconut only).

So in my experience, muscle gain without fat gain = lift really heavy 3 times a week (always fasted) + move slow as often as possible + eat primal foods to satiety + good sleep + plenty of sun + positive outlook in life (low stress).
    Excellent response... everything you need to know is within those line.

DiscoStew is offline Junior Member
    Do people have an opinion on a natural "leanness" one would achieve it one ate primally long-term? For example, was single-digit bodyfat the norm for primal man? Is it the norm for modern native tribes around the world?

DS

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    I'm in the 9% range now after 2 years or eating primal, lifting, running and doing yoga. It has been effortless really...

jelotr is offline Junior Member
    Before finding primal I tried the John Beradi approach (see my previous post) and found myself getting leaner to the point people were making lots of comments about how much I had lost - 28 lbs +. At the time I was still preoccupied with the bodybuilding look??? Most of this was fat but I was losing muscle as I wasn't training regularly.

However since going primal and starting training, predominantly strength, my weight loss has been small but I am gaining muscle. I put this down to muscle memory as I have previously been very large following a bodybuilding diet and training routine.

I have now got my mind set around looking lean, far more healthier, and I am aiming for the type of figures arthurb is displaying (well done by the way arthur).

I am the go to guy in my gym for training and diet advice due to my previous results though newcomers just look at me now and think what does he know he is not "big". The first requirement is consistency as chickenbacksides results display which is where I agree with arthurb, everything that chickenbackside said in their post is all you need.

Yodiewan - go on put up the pictures. I am approaching everything from the opposite direction (losing fat) and need a reason to put up some pictures (After being very physically large I have still to get my head around it being ok to display to the world I am not that big and muscular any more). Maybe we can get something going to encourage each other and help other????

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenbackside View Post
    Definitely yes. That's my experience.

I went from 120kg to 64kg by dieting and running. Waist line went from 40 inches to 28 inches.

Then I started to do squats, dead lifts, military presses, bench presses, pull ups and dips in the gym. Rep range is 6-10. Within 6 months, my weight went up to 72kg, while my waist remained at 28 inches. Visually, it is very obvious that I packed on quite a bit of muscle and became leaner, as its confirmed by everyone who knows me, even those who see me often.

I do notice that it takes more to satisfy my appetite now as compared with before weight training. But still, I don't weigh or count anything. I eat when I'm hungry (usually once a day) and I don't stop eating til I'm full. Thats it. I think the trick to not gaining fat is simply to eat primally. I estimate my macronutrient ratio to be 60-80% fat, 20-30% protein and less than 10% carbs (from veggies and coconut only).

So in my experience, muscle gain without fat gain = lift really heavy 3 times a week (always fasted) + move slow as often as possible + eat primal foods to satiety + good sleep + plenty of sun + positive outlook in life (low stress).
    Wow, good going CB!
    Have you posted a before, after and then after again pics?
    Last edited by Misabi; 12-12-2010 at 03:02 PM.

chickenbackside is offline Senior Member
    Nope. I didn't consciously take records. But I dug up a couple.

Dieting down:

3 months ago

RSL
    RSL is offline Senior Member
    Oh, my! (fanning herself)
    Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Click the banner below to visit my blog:

Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
    Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
    So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
    Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
    Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

chickenbackside is offline Senior Member
    Haha, thanks RSL.

But you know what, honestly, I am still having trouble accepting compliments about the way I look. My brain cannot come to the realization that I am not fat anymore. I guess 40 years of being called "fat boy" or "boob man" has taken its toll. I still do silly things like pull the front of my shirt every few seconds ( a habit formed from the need to prevent my shirt from sticking to my formerly cup A man boobs)...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast