Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Primal Diet: Enough Daily Fiber? page

wilberfan is offline Senior Member

Question The Primal Diet: Enough Daily Fiber?

Shop Now
    I was vegan from early 1993 until about 2 months ago (mid-October). About 2 weeks into Primaldom, I started to experience a worsening of my hemorrhoids. I recall no straining during elimination during this period, wasn't constipated, wasn't spending long amounts of time on the toilet--in other words, everything seemed normal in that regard...

By two weeks ago I developed a hum-dinger of a prolapsed internal hemorrhoid. Those of you who have been down this path know how incredibly painful those suckers are. Last week I saw a doctor who told me I needed it surgically removed. Today I had a consult with a surgeon; she essentially agreed (if it got no better on it's own). I have an appointment in about a month for a hemorrhoidectomy.

During the consult this afternoon, the doctor said, in effect, that you only get hemorrhoids from straining, sitting too long on the pot, and/or not eating enough fiber. She essentially said that we all need to take fiber supplements because it's difficult for us to get the 40-50 grams of fiber that we (well, men--women need a little less?) need every day.

I took great exception to the idea that I wasn't getting enough fiber--and argued that 500,000 years ago, we were NOT taking fiber supplements on the African Veldt.

By the time I got home, though, I was starting to wonder just how much fiber I AM getting.

I crunched some numbers via Livestrong.com, and to my horror came to the conclusion that maybe I'm NOT getting anywhere near my 30-40 grams!

I (and others over the past couple of weeks) have wondered if my current painful condition is a RESULT of changing from a vegan to Primal diet. I poo-poo'd the notion (pardon the pun)--being in the early-adopter, true-believer, smug-newbie, this-diet-can-do-no-wrong phase of Primaldom...

But now, I'm starting to wonder...

On the other hand, I just turned 57--and I've read that age alone can be a factor in hemorrhoid onslaught? (I've had various flare-ups of H's over the past 10-15 years... H's are not new to me--but the severity this time is what's noteworthy.)

I hate the idea that I may have "done this to myself" by embracing this 'new' diet, and/or not following it properly... I've encountered many Primal Enthusiasts (much younger than myself) who regale cyberspace with lusty tales of eating mostly meat all day, every day. That being the case, how are they getting 'enough' fiber?

I guess my question is--how many of you pay attention to your daily fiber intake, and/or how many of you are sure you're getting the requisite 30-40 grams a day of the stuff?

Or are those numbers just "Conventional Wisdom"? What ARE good "Primal Fiber Numbers"? What do the Primal-Paleo experts say about fiber consumption?

RSL
    RSL is offline Senior Member
    I feel your pain. I have had several outpatient procedures and one ten-day hospitalization for the problem 30 years ago. I have found that stress (and pregnancy) bring on my problems, and not constipation or lack of fiber. Right now, I am getting less than 20 grams of fiber a day, and I am not having any problems.
    Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Click the banner below to visit my blog:

Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
    Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
    So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
    Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
    Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I have never suffered from hemorrhoids, but for the first 3 months on primal, constipation was my only complaint. People on this forum reassured me that as my gut flora adjusted to the new food and my gut healed from too many years of high fiber, it would get better. And it did...everything is working way better now than it was before I went primal. So hopefully things will heal up for you too, without needing surgery.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilberfan View Post
    I guess my question is--how many of you pay attention to your daily fiber intake, and/or how many of you are sure you're getting the requisite 30-40 grams a day of the stuff?

Or are those numbers just "Conventional Wisdom"? What ARE good "Primal Fiber Numbers"? What do the Primal-Paleo experts say about fiber consumption?
    Those are all just CW. I might have a salad once or twice a week, but I never worry about fiber numbers, because they don't matter. Fat is a far better intestinal lubricant than any amount of fiber.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    If you don't already I would recommend squatting when at the water closet. I've never had problems with hemorrhoids myself, but I've heard that squatting helps to relieve them, and it's better for colon health in general anyway. Nature's Platform seems to be a well-regarded brand, and if you don't want to pay the $158 (!!!) they're even nice enough to show a DIY version you can make yourself with some bricks and board.

chickenbackside is offline Senior Member
    I had the same problem when I first started primal eating.

Everything was resolved when I discovered this very basic thing: I wasn't eating enough fat.

Bowel movements are almost a pleasure now, haha...

emmie is online now Senior Member
    I have had chronic constipation all my life, and the only thing that "works" for me is added fiber. I use psyllium powder that I mix with foods--about 2 T a day will keep me fairly regular. My GI has never been concerned about this and tells me that the psyllium is no problem--i.e., he would recommend added fiber for my condition.

drbrik is offline Member
    Going primal was what cured me of my hemorrhoids,

My wife who has had chronic constipation all her life and has tried everything, told me yesterday that for the first time she has had a normal, soft, easy poo. She has only been primal for 2 months. It was a great conversation over dinner.

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Fat is a far better intestinal lubricant than any amount of fiber.
    Can you elaborate, this is fascinating, I havn't come across this idea before. Can you link to info?? Thanks
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

batty is offline Senior Member
    obviously, your situation is different, i am not a medical professional and i am not trying to play Dr. Internet. with that being said:

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/f...-fore-and-aft/

some fiber is good, but saying we *need* that huge mount of fiber daily is very CW and actually incredibly damaging. ensuring your gut flora is happy and well is where it's at. this is achieved by - like griff said - making sure you get your fat on, and restoring gut flora with either a probiotic, or fermented food like yogurt, kefir, or kraut will help immensely.

anecdata: i suffered from some pretty severe IBS back in the CW days. now i don't. my diet rarely sees 15g of fiber a day.
    Last edited by batty; 12-11-2010 at 05:29 AM.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast