Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What can I do? page

What can I do?

Shop Now
    I've been eating Primal for about a month and that's going well. I am now anxious to become more active. I've increased the distance I'm able to walk.

I live in a very cold climate.

I am a morbidly obese woman. What suggestions do you have to safely increase my activity? I tried planks the other day. I could do two.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Do you have access to a parks and rec or other public pool (at gym or otherwise)? There will be various sorts of water exercise classes (including lifting weights), which will be great for you. Did you know it is possible to do ab crunches in the middle of a swimming pool with drowning yourself? Yes, it is! You might not be so lucky, but my pool (city parks and rec) has a flowing river feature where you can choose to either walk along with the flow or against it (upstream), depending on your fitness level. Add some water fitness gloves to work your arms and shoulders as well.

Do you like to dance?
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    I'd second that. An indoor pool definitely helps, and it's comfortable once you're in the water regardless of fitness level. Easy on your joints, too, which is key.

The walking is surely helpful too. If you're that obese then that's a pretty significant exercise in and of itself. You could increase walking speed or duration if you wanted more intense exercise. But as you say you live in a cold climate, so that might become more troublesome over time.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    When I first started losing weight, I walked. My mom got me a cheap treadmill and I walked while I watched tv. With time and confidence I tried running and only lasted 30 seconds. Then I tried another day and made it to 45 seconds, a minute, two minutes... but mostly I just started walking.

I second the water, and the dancing. Anything that gets you moving around will be good for you.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    +1 on water exercising and dancing/walking more. i'd also take a look at marks PB fitness plan for some starting points. he really presents things at a beginner level, including wall pushups, easier planks, squats, etc.

I like the idea of water exercises but I'm not ready to be in a public pool in a swimming suit. Even shorts and a t-shirt would be very unattractive.

I do enjoy dancing. I would like to know how to do it better. My husband likes it too but he has a hard time because of a foot injury. He has major problems with chronic pain.

By summer, I'm hoping I will feel more confident to go swimming in lakes. My husband enjoys that too and it will be good for both of us. We'll have to find times or a lake that doesn't have a lot of people.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I would highly recommend doing the PB Fitness workout (perhaps without sprints at first, unless you have access to a rowing machine.) It's free (Sticky on the Fitness forum) and progressive, no matter what your fitness level. If you follow Mark's directions and videos the workout is safe and will help you to feel more confident as you increase your activity. Believe it or not, I think LHT (lifting heavy things) is a better bet while you are so overweight--less stress on the joints and less chance of injury. Walking is great, but don't do it on an unsafe (icy) surface! Definitely swimming when you feel comfortable.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Everyone there will be either elderly, overweight, or rehabbing a serious back injury. The elderly won't remember anything they saw in 10 minutes anyway, the overweight gals are probably wondering where you got that cute suit, and the back injury folks are so hopped up on good drugs, they don't care about aaaaanything. I'm sure you must be worried, but you shouldn't be. Really, nobody cares. And you're probably not going to be the largest person there. (And if you are, who cares?! At least you're getting out there and taking action!!)

As far as dancing, I was thinking of some beginner videos you could do at home throughout the winter. There's Richard Simmons, and I know he has a disco sweat video. I don't know if you like country line dancing, but doesn't this look totally doable and fun? (click on video clip to preview)

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-...nce-party-5943

Do you have a Wii or Nintendo? I was at my friend's house and we were playing these dancing games, and she was showing me some cheering games. OK, I am a rocker girl and I can't be SEEN doing cheering games, but just between you and me, they look so fun.

The main thing is to find something you actually LIKE to do. That way it won't seem like exercise at all.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Many malls have walking programs. You might want to see if a mall near you has one. If not, you could still go and just walk laps inside the weatherproof mall.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Ahh yes the mall is a fantastic option! I go to the mall every now and then through the winter to get in a little extra "moving slowly." Unfortunately I can lap my entire mall in less than 45 minutes. The stairs will add another element to your workout also.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast