Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What can I do? page 4

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Actually the max tension set of bodylastics bands would be a good starting point for you... pretty cheap too.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FeelingBetterAlready View Post
    Hey iniQuity- Thanks for the video. I can definitely do the wall push-ups/pull-ups and the bottom middle. (Our chiropractor actually recommended that exercise to my husband to strengthen his back.) The bottom left will be difficult for me but I'll do the best I can. How many reps/sets should we shoot for? Just go until we can't do it anymore?
    I forgot the exact number of reps asked for but maybe this can work:

Do each of them once until you can't anymore, then reduce that number of reps by let's say 5-10 and do 2-3 sets of that every other day.

So, let's say you did 30 wall push-ups, try working in sets of 20 to 25 and do 3 sets, taking as much rest as you need in between sets. See how you feel the next day, if you're not sore, do it again! if you're very sore, take a rest that day. Obviously if you never experience any soreness then maybe you're taking it too easy and you need to work on sets of 30, but you'll be able to tell how your muscles are responding. The important part now is to strengthen your joints and tendons. These exercises will help you do that. If the others are too challenging (and they certainly can be) then only do them once you both start seeing more weightloss in the next few months. Also, wall push ups and pull ups (and all the others) are meant to be done slow and with control, not ridiculously slow, but you shouldn't be in a rush when you do them. The book recommends a 2-1-2 count, two seconds going down, 1 second hold then 2 seconds coming up. At this pace, you'll certainly feel it. I don't like to do them that slow, but when I do, I feel it a lot more than when I don't. So, count at first and eventually you'll learn the speed.
    Last edited by iniQuity; 12-14-2010 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurb999 View Post
    Actually the max tension set of bodylastics bands would be a good starting point for you... pretty cheap too.
    I just checked these out. Very cool. We will find $60 in the budget to buy those. Thanks!

Would we use these together with the bodyweight exercises? Would we use the bands on the days we want a more intense workout?

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Yes. Alternate them.

I'm assuming iif you;re overweight, just regular air squats and lunges might be enough resistance for your lower body but you might have too much resistance to do standard pushups/pullups.

So a "typical" workouts might be.

Air squats and/or lunges
    Then do the following with the bands: chest press, rows, overhead press, pulldowns (think of it in terms of push/pull... push forward/pull back, push overhead, pull down)

iniQuity and Arthur - Great information. Thanks so much!

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Do you have a Wii? Wii Fit is a lot of fun, and a lot of the exercises are pretty easy for anyone to do.

Quote Originally Posted by DianeThePurple View Post
    Do you have a Wii? Wii Fit is a lot of fun, and a lot of the exercises are pretty easy for anyone to do.
    No, we don't have a Wii. Maybe someday. That would add a little variety.

Well, I'm going to go try the Convict Conditioning exercises... I'll let you know how it goes.

iniQuity - I tried 3 of the CC exercises you recommended. I was able to do 35 of the wall pushups. I felt it in my biceps, definitely! Across my chest and into my upper back. I think I did those right.

I don't think I did the wall pullups right. I did 40 of them and I felt it in my lower back, not my arms. That is a little scary. I felt like I was going to rip the trim off the door. Also I used an area a little wider than a typical door frame. It's going to be difficult to find a door frame I can use where I can lean back far enough without my body getting in the way. Are your toes supposed to be touching the wall and then lean out as far as possible? Any suggestions on how to get the form right? Should I feel it in my back?

I also did the bottom middle. What's the name of that one? I can't make it out in the video. I also felt that in my lower back, behind my legs and little in my abs. I did 30 of those.

When I do the sets (probably starting tomorrow), should I do all the sets of one before moving on to the next exercise or should I do it like a circuit?

I'm going to feel it in my arms from the pushups. Cool. :-D

Thanks!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Those numbers are very good! Hope you did them slow and with control, best way to start, best for your joints and tendons.

You definitely did the wall push-ups right, you’re absolutely supposed to feel them in your chest, shoulders and all across your arms.

As far as wall pull ups yes you’re supposed to have your toes close to the wall or door frame. You can really do these off any sturdy surface that isn’t too wide (so your arms are somewhat straight instead of too far apart hugging the object) so try to think of what that surface can be. Perhaps a column? Door frames are easiest because they allow you to get better range of motion (if you’re hugging a column you’ll have to stop short depending on the depth) -- Hey! I just had an idea, grab a towel or length of rope, wrap it around something sturdy (a column, strong pipe, anything) and grab onto the ends so that you're far apart enough from the object and can really pull yourself forward! that way you can use a secure object that won't budge but you're not limited in how close you can get to it.

As far as feeling them in your back yeah you should feel them in your back. You shouldn’t feel sharp pains, but a “burn” is okay. It’s possible that your upper back is stronger than your lower back and that’s why you felt it more in the lower back.

The bottom middle exercise is part of the “bridge” progression. I can’t recall the name, maybe half-bridges? And you’re supposed to feel them in your abs and legs (both quads and hamstrings) so I’d say you did that one right as well.

As far as how to go about doing sets, you can mix it up. I personally like circuits, I would do:

Wall push-ups, bridge, wall-pull-ups… the bridge will give your arms a rest. However, any combination would be fine, I just figure since you’re new-ish to training you will reap more benefit with longer rest between similar bodygroups (in this case, wall push ups and pull ups work your upper body, while bridges target the lower body a little more)

Happy training! Hope that cleared things up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Those numbers are very good! Hope you did them slow and with control, best way to start, best for your joints and tendons.

You definitely did the wall push-ups right, you’re absolutely supposed to feel them in your chest, shoulders and all across your arms.

As far as wall pull ups yes you’re supposed to have your toes close to the wall or door frame. You can really do these off any sturdy surface that isn’t too wide (so your arms are somewhat straight instead of too far apart hugging the object) so try to think of what that surface can be. Perhaps a column? Door frames are easiest because they allow you to get better range of motion (if you’re hugging a column you’ll have to stop short depending on the depth) -- Hey! I just had an idea, grab a towel or length of rope, wrap it around something sturdy (a column, strong pipe, anything) and grab onto the ends so that you're far apart enough from the object and can really pull yourself forward! that way you can use a secure object that won't budge but you're not limited in how close you can get to it.

As far as feeling them in your back yeah you should feel them in your back. You shouldn’t feel sharp pains, but a “burn” is okay. It’s possible that your upper back is stronger than your lower back and that’s why you felt it more in the lower back.

The bottom middle exercise is part of the “bridge” progression. I can’t recall the name, maybe half-bridges? And you’re supposed to feel them in your abs and legs (both quads and hamstrings) so I’d say you did that one right as well.

As far as how to go about doing sets, you can mix it up. I personally like circuits, I would do:

Wall push-ups, bridge, wall-pull-ups… the bridge will give your arms a rest. However, any combination would be fine, I just figure since you’re new-ish to training you will reap more benefit with longer rest between similar bodygroups (in this case, wall push ups and pull ups work your upper body, while bridges target the lower body a little more)

Happy training! Hope that cleared things up a bit.

I tried to keep the 2-1-2 count.

Great idea for using a column and towel. We have columns in our basement that should be secure for me to work on. If I decide using those columns is not a good idea, I'll use a tree.

Thanks again.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234