Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What can I do? page 3

Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Annlee View Post
    If the weather is truly nasty outside, you can also do some bodyweight exercises - and you get more work if you have more to lose LOL.

Here's a routine I like, which is exhausting, and for which you drive the pace:

6 exercises, done for 30 sec each, alternating body area emphasis (so the round of exercises totals 3 minutes)
    1. squats (air squats) - work with your limits until you can get the crease of your hips below your knees
    2. pushups (Mark's PB Fitness - FREE!! - has a fine progression if you can't do "real" pushups)
    3. lunges
    4. pullups (or any pulling exercise - lift something heavy from down to up)
    5. twists
    6. get-ups (get down to the floor and get up from the floor - very good for flexibility)
    rest 1 minute
    repeat the cycle 2 more times (4 if you're a real stud)

These are example exercises, and lots of variations are possible. The point to do as much as you can of that exercise for 30 seconds and immediately start the next exercise. I have a countdown timer on my watch, and I set it for 32 seconds with a repeat (giving me 2 seconds to change positions, if necessary). Pick exercises you can do, some easier than others.

Mix something like that in with your walking, and I think you'll find (after the soreness abates) that the feeling of strength and being capable of movement is astonishing. And addictive.

Wow! Thank you very much.

I looked through Mark's fitness information last night. I am very impressed with the amount of information he gives us. I will start incorporating these moves into our routine.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    http://rosstraining.com/blog/2010/09...-loss-journey/

We're not huge fans of endurance events around here but I thought this video was worth sharing in this case...

Quote Originally Posted by arthurb999 View Post
    http://rosstraining.com/blog/2010/09...-loss-journey/

We're not huge fans of endurance events around here but I thought this video was worth sharing in this case...
    That made me cry. Very inspirational, I'm going to save that link and refer to it often.

Thank you for sharing.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    That video brought a tear to my eye.

FeelingBetterAlready: Have you seen Mark Sisson's blog entry from yesterday (Friday)? If not, you'd better go look. I spit my food at the computer screen when I saw the after photos. Was NOT expecting what I saw.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    You may not be there yet, but you're closer than you were yesterday. A year of hard work later... you're there.
    It's that simple.

Welcome to the Primal Blueprint.

-Arthur

Quote Originally Posted by arthurb999 View Post
    You may not be there yet, but you're closer than you were yesterday. A year of hard work later... you're there.
    It's that simple.

Welcome to the Primal Blueprint.

-Arthur

Arthur, thank you for the encouragement. It means a lot.

TigerLily: Thank you also for pointing out Mark's blog. I hadn't read it. I'm glad I did. When I read she started in May of this year - OMG that's truly AMAZING!!!

My husband and I have decided for the next 30 days we are going to walk/ski every day for a minimum of 15 minutes. We'll cross the days off on the calendar that we've actually done that. We will probably incorporate some of the Mark's PB body weight exercises too. We're just determined to get moving.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Hey, FBA, not sure if this would be too much for someone your size but I figure I'd post it anyway:

These are all the Level 1 progressions of a program called Convict Conditioning. It's a strictly bodyweight program.

The steps you and your husband can most definitely start with right away are the top left and top right corners. Wall push-ups and wall pull-ups (or rows) respectively. Both of these are low impact but done in higher rep ranges will start to develop strength in your arms, shoulders, chest, back and core. All the others can be a bit much. The top middle exercise I wouldn't recommend, but it's the precursor to doing squats so maybe start with half-squats, lower yourself only halfway then stand up. I think you should also be able to do the bottom left and bottom middle movements. Bottom right is tough even for me and I'm pretty light. Holding a headstand is harder than it looks, I can hold a handstand better, which makes no sense to me.

Good luck! and be careful of course. You can follow the youtube link to level 2, 3 and so on... If you need detailed explanations on any just ask or send me a PM.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    You can buy a cheap or used treadmill or elliptical machine to use when the weather elements are bad. You can add resistance training by using your own body weight with squats, planks, pushups. And you can use resistance bands/cords that are pretty cheap to buy and use it for hundreds of different exercises. You can also skip some rope. There are tons of activity you can do in your home even with limited space on bad weather days. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Hey, FBA, not sure if this would be too much for someone your size but I figure I'd post it anyway:

These are all the Level 1 progressions of a program called Convict Conditioning. It's a strictly bodyweight program.

The steps you and your husband can most definitely start with right away are the top left and top right corners. Wall push-ups and wall pull-ups (or rows) respectively. Both of these are low impact but done in higher rep ranges will start to develop strength in your arms, shoulders, chest, back and core. All the others can be a bit much. The top middle exercise I wouldn't recommend, but it's the precursor to doing squats so maybe start with half-squats, lower yourself only halfway then stand up. I think you should also be able to do the bottom left and bottom middle movements. Bottom right is tough even for me and I'm pretty light. Holding a headstand is harder than it looks, I can hold a handstand better, which makes no sense to me.

Good luck! and be careful of course. You can follow the youtube link to level 2, 3 and so on... If you need detailed explanations on any just ask or send me a PM.

Hey iniQuity- Thanks for the video. I can definitely do the wall push-ups/pull-ups and the bottom middle. (Our chiropractor actually recommended that exercise to my husband to strengthen his back.) The bottom left will be difficult for me but I'll do the best I can. How many reps/sets should we shoot for? Just go until we can't do it anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    You can buy a cheap or used treadmill or elliptical machine to use when the weather elements are bad. You can add resistance training by using your own body weight with squats, planks, pushups. And you can use resistance bands/cords that are pretty cheap to buy and use it for hundreds of different exercises. You can also skip some rope. There are tons of activity you can do in your home even with limited space on bad weather days. Good luck!
    Ironically, I had a treadmill years ago and sold it. (I moved out of state and didn't want to drag it with me. I should have hung on to it.) I'll look into the resistance bands. I imagine there will be exercise instructions with those so I know what to do with them.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast