Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What can I do? page 2

Primal Fuel
    I live in a very rural area. The only public pool is associated with a school. They do have open swim times but there are a lot kids that go too. I have friends that bring their kids to the open swim times. I would not feel comfortable going there this winter.

The closest mall is 45 miles away one way. I rarely go there.

I like the idea of the dance video. I can brush up my skills for the next wedding or gathering we attend that has a dance. I will see what I can find through the library.

Otherwise, I will walk. I've been thinking about getting out my cross-country skies. It's been awhile since I've done that but it is great exercise. I learned how to cross country ski when I was very young and have done it periodically throughout the years. I've got the balance and coordination because of that. It probably wouldn't be safe if I had never done it before.

When it's too cold/windy to be outside, we do have a flight of stairs in our house. As my knees continue to feel better, I can jog up and down those too.

I will also check out the PB fitness workout.

I will find ways to play too. My husband and I can still toss a football around in the middle of winter or have a snowball fight or just play with the dog in the snow. I guess, there really are a log of options.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FeelingBetterAlready View Post
    I live in a very rural area. The only public pool is associated with a school. They do have open swim times but there are a lot kids that go too. I have friends that bring their kids to the open swim times. I would not feel comfortable going there this winter.

The closest mall is 45 miles away one way. I rarely go there.

I like the idea of the dance video. I can brush up my skills for the next wedding or gathering we attend that has a dance. I will see what I can find through the library.

Otherwise, I will walk. I've been thinking about getting out my cross-country skies. It's been awhile since I've done that but it is great exercise. I learned how to cross country ski when I was very young and have done it periodically throughout the years. I've got the balance and coordination because of that. It probably wouldn't be safe if I had never done it before.

When it's too cold/windy to be outside, we do have a flight of stairs in our house. As my knees continue to feel better, I can jog up and down those too.

I will also check out the PB fitness workout.

I will find ways to play too. My husband and I can still toss a football around in the middle of winter or have a snowball fight or just play with the dog in the snow. I guess, there really are a log of options.

Thank you all for your suggestions.
    Looks like you covered most of my suggestions right there!
    I like to say there is no such thing as bad weather, there is just being dressed wrong for it!
    So just make sure you layer up so you can shed or add layers as needed and head outside! ENJOY the crisp air! Play in the snow. Watch the frost glisten on the trees. Find the magic in the moisture freezing out of the very air so that even the AIR is sparkly. Laugh and make Calvin and Hobbs faces when your boogers freeze. There is no reason to be afraid of the cold!

Oh. And you might try snowshoeing too! Just about as simple as walking but a good way to get out in the snow and get a good workout going!

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Shoveling snow/clearing walkways! And because you're such a great neighbor, do theirs too.

Chopping wood! It doesn't even need to be actual wood -- just go through the motion. The reverse of that movement -- called the reverse ax -- is one my physical therapist has me do. Oh yeah, you'll get buff!

Dragging kid or dog in sled!
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Understandable RE: pool. Sounds like a great plan overall!
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Walk Away the Pounds videos by Leslie Sansone. That's how I started several years ago. You can do it all on a 4 X 6 foot rug in front of your tv.

Quote Originally Posted by Noctiluca View Post
    I like to say there is no such thing as bad weather, there is just being dressed wrong for it!
    So just make sure you layer up so you can shed or add layers as needed and head outside! ENJOY the crisp air! Play in the snow. Watch the frost glisten on the trees. Find the magic in the moisture freezing out of the very air so that even the AIR is sparkly. Laugh and make Calvin and Hobbs faces when your boogers freeze. There is no reason to be afraid of the cold!

Oh. And you might try snowshoeing too! Just about as simple as walking but a good way to get out in the snow and get a good workout going!
    I learned a long time ago to enjoy even love the magic of winter. It is beautiful. I decided that if I'm going to live here, I better enjoy it.

That being said. We are heading for the dead of winter and there will be days when our high won't even hit zero for the day. (Tomorrow is actually forecast for that already.) That will usually be joined by a wind chill factor that will make it feel it is -30 or -40. We can stay there for days at a time. When the weather is like that it is dangerous to spend extended periods outdoors. I'm just trying to be practical and think ahead for when we are in the deep freeze and I can't exercise outside for a week.

I've always wanted to try snowshoeing but I haven't thought I could do it. Maybe this year I'll try it. There must be someplace I can rent a pair in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    Shoveling snow/clearing walkways! And because you're such a great neighbor, do theirs too.

Chopping wood! It doesn't even need to be actual wood -- just go through the motion. The reverse of that movement -- called the reverse ax -- is one my physical therapist has me do. Oh yeah, you'll get buff!
    Last time it snowed, I asked my husband to let me do some of the shoveling. He didn't. Next time I'll just have to beat him to the task. :-D

I love the idea of chopping wood, except I want to actually do it. I can definitely find some wood to chop.

bblean is offline Junior Member
    Walking is great and is how I lost alot of weight a couple of years ago. Don't get discouraged during the winter. Inclement weather and longer nights may be a deterrent for some. Take it slow and easy at first increasing your distance over time. Snowshoeing is great too and a beginner pair for trekking on easy trails in local are fine to start with. Treadmill indoors may be boring but is also an option to supplement walking outside. Walking up hills and stairs are great. Stick with it and when the weather gets better there are better options and real fun begins

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    I am an older woman who is very obese too. I'm just starting to walk due to old and newer injuries. As you have stairs you can do step exercises on the bottom two steps, just one up and back down, changing the leading foot eery so often. When your muscles start to tighten up or you feel breathless, then you've done enough.

In our house I'm lucky, I can do a loop, but then, our climate is mild and sub-tropical so the only thing to stop me walking outside is rain.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If the weather is truly nasty outside, you can also do some bodyweight exercises - and you get more work if you have more to lose LOL.

Here's a routine I like, which is exhausting, and for which you drive the pace:

6 exercises, done for 30 sec each, alternating body area emphasis (so the round of exercises totals 3 minutes)
    1. squats (air squats) - work with your limits until you can get the crease of your hips below your knees
    2. pushups (Mark's PB Fitness - FREE!! - has a fine progression if you can't do "real" pushups)
    3. lunges
    4. pullups (or any pulling exercise - lift something heavy from down to up)
    5. twists
    6. get-ups (get down to the floor and get up from the floor - very good for flexibility)
    rest 1 minute
    repeat the cycle 2 more times (4 if you're a real stud)

These are example exercises, and lots of variations are possible. The point to do as much as you can of that exercise for 30 seconds and immediately start the next exercise. I have a countdown timer on my watch, and I set it for 32 seconds with a repeat (giving me 2 seconds to change positions, if necessary). Pick exercises you can do, some easier than others.

Mix something like that in with your walking, and I think you'll find (after the soreness abates) that the feeling of strength and being capable of movement is astonishing. And addictive.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast