Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CARBnation: Are carbs the American drug of choice? page

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member

CARBnation: Are carbs the American drug of choice?

Shop Now
    Now that the drug-like, depressant, effect of excessive carbs is coming to light in alternative health circles, could carbs be our true drug of choice? Discuss...

profdjj is offline Senior Member
    I think you're preaching to the choir here...

Well, I'm not actually intending to preach but just curious if many others view carbs that way as I have come to see them over the last few years of reading and trying different low carb strategies. I think some people handle it better than others, obviously, but the use of carbs in this country today makes me think of the feel-good drug soma in Brave New World.

Not sure that alcohol and marijuana are more destructive to our society than excessive carbs in terms of productivity and health care costs...

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    Carbs are no-where near as fun as alcohol and marijuana.. But ya, I see where you are going. Sugar junkies are almost as bad as crackheads.

Ha ha, slowcooker. I think there are some carbheads that might argue the first point with you, but I agree in theory. I wonder if excessive alcohol consumption is linked to excessive carb consumption. I think I have read something about this. Not exactly this but close: http://www.scienceblog.com/community...200000173.html Anecdotally, I notice much less of a craving for alcohol while low carbing but re-introduction of wheat has been the gateway to carb hell for me and more alcohol consumption.

strom is offline Senior Member

Right, strom, but many people now think of alcohol as a drug and other carbs as food not drugs. I think people in alternative health circles are starting to see excessive food carbs as food with a drug-like effect while the mainstream just keep right on "pushing" them to the detriment of our health. I think the first person I read that equated food with a drug-like effect was Barry Sears. He was misguided in a lot of ways but ahead of his time in some others and was on the front line of the low carb brigade. He took so much crap from the mainstream media.

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    I know it's mine. I drink alcohol maybe 2x a week max. I don't like pot or tobacco and I reserve caffeine for when life won't let me get enough sleep. I've been working on primal for 9 months now but I still haven't managed to fully kick sugar. (I will be making another big push against it in the coming weeks though, now that school is out for the term)

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    well, in some bodies, sugar, flour, etc have the same chemical effect as alcohol or other drugs might on other bodies.

you know how some people can drink alcohol and not be addicts? well, some people can have sugar and not be addicts. But some people, they have sugar, and they behave like addicts.

i never really realized it until a friend of mine-- a food addict in food addict's anonymous and such --told me about her experiences when she ate any sugar, flour, wheat, and so on. she can do whole grains (rice, quinoa, etc), but does so sparingly. anyway, her experience is that she goes "manic" and is a "crazy drunk" on that stuff. and her friend pointed out to her tht birthday cake and beer had the exact same results in her behaviors.

there is definitely an intense, biochemical experience in regards to our foods, as we all know. and i would say that more people are "addicts" than they would believe. people think it's about self control--it's not. it is addiction for many people. flat out, why they cannot quit, is because they are addicted, nto because they lack capacity or will power.

anyway, that's my take on it.

Figlio di Moros is offline Senior Member
    I think we need to be cautious about what we consider drugs. Labelling caffeine's bad enough, but understandable because it's a specific, non-necessary chemical with certain effects. Carbs, whether or not an excess of them have a negative effect on us, are a nutrition; unless you're prepared to call oxygen-bars drugs, too, then it seems silly to label carbs one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast