Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Analog6's Progress - like the Rake's but better! page

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia

Analog6's Progress - like the Rake's but better!

For my first post I'll repeat my intro and then go on from there.

I started (really restarted after 4 years+) my low carb eating plan on Sunday at 122.0 kgs - I'm very ashamed of putting so much back on (see background below). However, I have replaced the battery in the scales, now working perfectly again.

Drrrum rroll please - I've lost 5.9 kgs already! IN FIVE DAYS!! Down to 116.1!!!

My counts for the 5 days have been:
    Protein - Fat - Carb
    90.4 - 28.9 - 17.7
    102.9 - 91.4 - 21.2
    67.6 - 76.6 - 20.7
    148.5 - 81.0 - 18.8
    122.4 - 39.6 - 19.5

I had a suspicion that more fat would (a) leave me more satisfied and (b) promote weight loss and so far so good. I realise it won't be this easy all the time, but I only expected a kg or two at the most.

And this morning I went for a 20 min walk, about 1km. My knees started to pain a bit so I turned home. A little more each time. And it means my BMI has gone down from 42.21 to 40.17 in 5 days!

A bit of background:
    I first started Atkins on September 2005 at 53 years of age and 131 kgs (289lbs) on a 170cm (5'7")frame. I lost 29.6 kgs (65lbs) in 5 months and felt fantastic. I put on all my weight after an accident in 1997 to both Achilles tendons which I had surgically 'fixed' after 2 years (8-% left ankle and about 95% right). My favoured exercise of walking (5-8 kms daily) was denied me due to the injury and after the operation, due to my weight gain, it was just as hard and painful as before! So I just got fatter and fatter. I climbed to 131 kgs and was in constant pain from ankles, knees and back. I finally decided to act. I had picked up the Atkins book and had a read, thought (idly) I could do that, and then just sat on it - the information and my fatt bum! Then, after 15 months on the dole, I got a job! I started Atkins the same day and have never looked back. I no longer have pain, my blood pressure went from sky high (3 eye bleeds during coughing episodes when I had the flu last May) to 110/76, and I had so much energy.

The other plus was discovering I was gluten intolerant. After suffering migraines for my whole life, since infancy, I was migraine free after 5 days on low carb and have never had one since. And I had the whole range of food intolerance symptoms: migraine and headaches; gastro-intestinal symptoms including stomach aches, irritable bowel, diarrhoea, urinary urgency; eczema and other itchy skin rashes; nasal congestion (stuffy or runny nose); depression, unexplained tiredness, impairment of memory and concentration,; tachycardia (fast heart beat);; irritability, restlessness, inattention, difficulty settling to sleep, night waking. All caused by gluten and modern high carb foods

In March 2006 I had a car accident which initially slowed me up and sent me right off track. While I didn't go back to lots of refined carbs, I did go back to eating too much potatoes - and they were my big downfall. I had a bad deep tissue bruising injury to my left leg caused by the dashboard and steering wheel coming down and bouncing off it. SInce then I have languished terribly but am now really dedicated to getting back on track.

I found the link to Primal on a New Zealand low carb forum, of all places, and have been reading up on the Primal Lifestyle and I do think it is for me. Virtually what I am doing anyway. So here I am. I have downloaded what I can and will be ordering the book in a week or two when finances permit. In the meantime I will keep doing what I'm doing and reading up here.

Cheers from Oz!
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Last night (well I started at 1pm and we ate about 6pm) I made a lasagne - I adapted it by using spinach leaves for the base and a layer of large zucchini slices in the middle. I used ricotta instead of béchamel but it wen t a bit runny, any other suggestions for sauce replacement.

Here is my recipe

Lasagna (this is based on a recipe from Italian regional Cooking by Ada Boni, I have just altered the quantities somewhat)

Ragu (meat sauce)
    Sufficient for 4 packets of bought dried pasta mix (just for comparison).
    You will note there is no garlic in this recipe, if you want to add it do so at the onion stage, but it will flavour the Ragu very strongly and mask the subtle flavourings from the various meats. It really does not need it.

Ingredients
    Metric - Imperial - Ingredient
    100g - 4 oz - Butter
    Olive oil - as much as necessary
    1 large Red onion (or 2 small) finely diced
    2 large Carrots finely diced
    3-4 sticks Celery finely diced
    150g - 6 oz - Bacon, finely chopped
    180g - 7 oz - Pork minced or finely chopped
    1kg - 2.2 lbs - Minced (ground)beef
    2-3 Chicken livers, finely chopped (note these are easier to chop when half frozen)
    1 cup Chopped mushrooms (optional)
    200ml - 6 fl oz - White wine
    Salt & pepper to taste
    ˝ teaspoon Fennel seeds
    sprinkle Mixed herbs, I use Italian blend
    60g - 2 oz - Tomato paste (you can increase this if you want)
    300ml - ˝ pt - Beef or chicken stock
    200ml - 1/3 pint - Pure cream (not thickened)

Method
    Heat half the butter and all the oil in a heavy bottom fry pan. (I used to use a great electric frypan I had but the thermostat carked it, so if you have one they are good for this recipe.)
    Add the fennel seeds, onion and bacon and fry for a few minutes over a med-hot flame/element. Then add the carrots and celery, cook for a few minutes, stirring, till they just start to brown.
    Add all the meats, stir well and fry gently until they begin to brown. If fat comes out of the meat keep cooking until it is absorbed. Moisten with the wine and cook until it evaporates, then add the herbs.
    If using mushrooms, add them now.
    Dilute the tomato paste with the beef stock. (I also add a teaspoon of vegemite and some Worcestershire sauce and a few drops of Tabasco mixed with a little hot water here, but these are to our taste and are optional.) Stir into the sauce, cover, and cook slowly, stirring occasionally, for about 1 ˝ hours, adding the rest of the stock over this time. After 1 ˝ hours, stir in the cream and the rest of the butter and stir well. Some chopped parsely can be added, again, it is optional.
    To replace the pasta, I am going to use layered spinach leaves for the bottom course, and a large zucchini sliced for the middle pasta layers. Then spinach leaves again on top. You could use cabbage, silver beet, or any veg with large leaves.
    To replace the bechamel sauce I plan to try ricotta cheese.

So, to assemble.
    Line the baking tray with double baking paper.
    There is no need to grease.
    Layer spinach leaves thickly in the bottom of the pan, and then add a thin layer of ricotta, then the ragu, then sprinkle with parmesan, then repeat to the top, replacing at least one middle layer of spinach leaves with sliced zucchini, the larger the better, and not too thick.
    On the final layer of spinach leaves, sprinkle parmesan and some grated cheddar if you want a crispy top, and dot with a few small pieces of butter.
    Bake for about 20 mins at 350C

Enjoy. It came out really tasty, I use 1/6th per person with side salad
    Odille

I am feeling really good, I wake up clear headed, I have lots of energy, I'm not going round grumbling all day.

Last night I made chicken pieces crumbed with LSA and we fried them and had lovely green vegetables, delicious.
    Odille

Um - this Primal stuff is like Black Magic - lost another 2 kgs.
    Odille

Still going great guns. I have ordered my copy of the book now as the taxman cameth!. We are going out for dinner tonight so I may have a few non-primal things but there'll be no grains.
    Odille

Well, I didn't do too well at our dinner out as Warwick ordered a bowl of wedges and I succumbed - and I felt really bloated afterwards - silly me. My actual dinner was fine, grilled barramundi, a small roasted kipfler spud and salad, and a glass of wine (first for a week). But we did walk home, about 1.2 kms, I felt a bit better after it had all shaken down a bit.
    Odille

My two week weigh in.

Weight 111 kgs, down 11kgs
    and I have lost 10 cm off bust, 6 off waist and 9 off hips.

I'm very, very, very pleased.
    Last edited by Analog6; 12-18-2010 at 01:06 PM.
    Odille

We picked up our ham yesterday. I decided not to bake it (I was thinking about it ands some folks here kindly advised me on glaze etc) but then realised, because we have no stove and I do everything in our hooded BBQ or the Weber kettle, I didn't think I could keep the heat right, so we'll just go with it as it is.

When we picked it up our lovely butcher told us it had just finished cooking (the curing process) that morning! I have just had a few slices and it is absolutely awesome! I can see LOTS of ham being eaten in a very short while!
    Odille

Well haven't been in for a while but have been busy then following the dreadful flood crisis just to the north of us.

Well both my sets of scales are now totally cactus. The whizz bang electronic ones have gone cattywonkus, the day before yesterday they told me I had gone back up to 118, yesterday's reading was 96 and todays 73.6! I wish! In the bin with 'em. And the old step on the plate ones won't go past 60 kgs now. It's very frustrating, I like to weigh and record once a week - it's how I monitor myself.

But I feel good and am sticking to PB fairly well. All the stories here are so inspiring, keep 'em coming/
    Odille

pebblehead is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Odille, keep your story coming as well! I'm looking for inspiration and your fast start has been wonderful to read about. Keep it up!

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast