Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how quickly do cholesterol numbers change page

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member

how quickly do cholesterol numbers change

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    A question more out of curiosity than anything else. How quickly do the key cholseterol numbers shift in response to diet (assuming testing in a fasted state)? Stated another way, how sensitive are our cholesterol levels to diet changes? Or, are the numbers a reflection of the last week of eating, the last month, the last 6 months? How quickly would you expect a response in the numbers following a diet shift?

Thanks,
    One Delta Ten Tango

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I seem to remember hearing that changes would take months to appear. But not sure who I heard that from.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

thanks for he reply, Liz.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I've been trying to find info on this, too.

Also, a related question: How much fluxuation in blood lipid numbers happens day to day? That is, if someone's trigs drop 5 or 10 or 30 points in a month, is that significant or merely two readings within that person's typical range?
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Interesting question. I know that I had higher cholesterol numbers about 6 months ago, but my thyroid levels were also up (which can cause that). Went back 4 months later and my overall cholesterol had dropped 40 points (I think it went from 225 to around 180). But then we had upped my thyroid meds a bit and brought it all back down. It definitely reminded me not to worry so much about it (though I'm still trying to get my HDL up as high as I can, just because...)
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Quote Originally Posted by BarbeyGirl View Post
    I've been trying to find info on this, too.

Also, a related question: How much fluxuation in blood lipid numbers happens day to day? That is, if someone's trigs drop 5 or 10 or 30 points in a month, is that significant or merely two readings within that person's typical range?
    Thanks, BarbeyGirl. Let's hope a few weigh in on this. Btw, nice blog. Nice life you have going on.

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    I had my cholesterol and Trigs measured 8 months before going primal and about 6 months after. My HDL had risen by 20. My LDL was also greater but my total cholesterol was very low before so it was still within normal and my Trigs had dropped significantly from very high to almost normal. I think they would have been normal had I not been on a pretty crappy eating streak for a few weeks before the test. From what I've read Triglyceride levels can change pretty rapidly up or down but HDL and LDL ratios take longer, as in atleast 6 months. HTH

Cid
    Cid is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    A question more out of curiosity than anything else. How quickly do the key cholseterol numbers shift in response to diet (assuming testing in a fasted state)? Stated another way, how sensitive are our cholesterol levels to diet changes? Or, are the numbers a reflection of the last week of eating, the last month, the last 6 months? How quickly would you expect a response in the numbers following a diet shift?

Thanks,
    One Delta Ten Tango
    I just saw your note. I got major changes on all cholesterol numbers in 4 months with some changes in diet only. I suspect the nu,bers can change more quickly but dont have proof.

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    From what I understand, serum cholesterol numbers change depending on the health or "state" of the person. The health or state of a person can can fluctuate within the course of a day, week, month etc.

This falls in the same line with blood pressure changes. BP can change to high or low depending on what is happening to us and how we are responding to the stimuli.

The point of eating & living Primal or Ancestral is to put our body and the insides of our body in a consistent "happy/balanced" state. This provides the liver (and other organs/processors) to do its job with greater ease. Cholesterol production will follow suit.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    I dropped my TC by 81 points last year through diet and exercise in 90 days. And have maintained it since. My numbers improved slightly when I went Primal, but my TC is 180 and my HDL, LDL and Tri's are all good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast