Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ShankInBunkers asks, "Are you gonna eat that Fat?" page

ShankInBunkers is offline Junior Member

ShankInBunkers asks, "Are you gonna eat that Fat?"

I think after some more reading recently and really working hard to up my fat in meals, today counts as my official first day of Primal. In our house finding fat is hard to come by since CW has brainwashed us that no-fat foods are best.

I will admit I am nervous about adding fat to my diet since everything I've known screams that eating fat will make you fat, but I have faith and seeing it work for so many people, I will do my best to ignore it. And as hard as it will be, I've decided to give up milk and cheese, and all dairy (once the cottage cheese is gone), to see what changes it makes (I've drank/eaten dairy my whole life and love it).

So on with it. Since it's early I only have one meal under my belt so far and here it is. Feed back and suggestions are ALWAYS welcomed.

Primal Journey:

Day 1
    @0900
    2 eggs, scrambled
    1 medium orange bell pepper, diced, sauteed in EVOO
    2oz deli ham
    1 medium avocado, sliced

So far I feel very satisfied, but not stuffed with that amount of food.

@1600
    Trader Joe's Raw Almonds

@1800
    2 fresh zuccini, sauteed in Avocado oil with garlic
    1 bunch of spinach, sauteed in avocado oil with garlic
    5oz New York Strip steak, BBQ
    Salad with EVOO, balsamic, garlic, fresh cracked black pepper

Todays break down:
    1200 calories (100g fat/ 74g protein/ 40g of carbs)

After Dinner tonight, I feel a bit full actually, I was going to have a coconut oil, coconut milk, handful of fresh raspberries in a smoothie, but at this point I'm too full.
    Last edited by ShankInBunkers; 12-10-2010 at 07:59 PM.
    Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out -
Robert Collier
    Danielle Shank Photography
    My Primal Journey

strom is offline Senior Member
    I'd eat twice that amount. Lots of fats in oils, fatter cuts of meats. Nuts may or may not work for you. you have to experiement to see what helps and what hinders weights loss. Omega 3 fish oil is a must.

jazmin is offline Senior Member
    Hi! Welcome!

Yep, you gotta eat more fat than you even want. Psychologically hard, but it works. I didn't even particularly want to lose weight on PB (I started it because I heard it might help with my terrible migraines). I was quite strict especially for the first 30 days, being very motivated to heal the headaches. I ate nothing but phatty phatty meat, colored veggies (meaning no potatoes), some fruit, and nuts. Occasionally some dairy, but I cut it out almost entirely when I realized it was making my head hurt. (Now the only dairy I use is pretty much heavy whipping cream in my coffee.)

Mostly though, I just eat meat and fat (lots of coconut oil. I throw coconut oil in everything, even a spoonful in my hot tea). And without even trying, I have lost 10 lb in the last two months. Having to buy new jeans is actually kind of a bummer - once you find your good sexy pair, and then they start to look like baggy work jeans.... oh the torture of shopping for the new perfect pair of jeans!

Have fun! Once you get over the cravings for your favorite old standby's, this way of eating is such a good time.

Like, I just had a fabulous session with a sliced up apple, hella almond butter, and a ton of cinnamon. Like a party for breakfast!

strom is offline Senior Member
    Also make sure your fats are more omega 9 (olive oil) and omega 3 fish. Omega 6's will stall fat loss.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    How do you feel about coconut products? I think it's pretty hard to miss dairy when you start slopping coconut milk all over everything!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    All good advice...and do take it slow at first with adding lots of fats if your body starts protesting. I got a bellyache if I ate too much fat in one meal during my first few weeks Primal.

Thanks guys for the advice! I just returned from shopping at Sprouts (awesome Primal store I learned). I got coconut oil, avocado oil, I found coconut milk and their produce is great.

Strom, nuts are fine with me. I usually go to them for a snack or "hold me over" until I can get something to eat. I'm really not a huge eater at one sitting, I've always been kind of a grazer usually on fruits in between meals.

Ok my next question. It's now 7.5 hours since my morning meal and I have been out and about all day, all I had to snack on about an hour ago was .5cups of raw almonds. Is my body telling me that I'm ok on calories for then or should I eat something anyways? This is very weird for me. I didn't even get any cravings for anything... I hope this is a sign that my body is better off and more ready for primal than my brain was telling me I was
Robert Collier
    My Primal Journey

grokka is offline Senior Member
    I like your title.

After seeing how much (or little according to some) I ate yesterday morning and that it lasted me throughout the day until around late afternoon, I was surprised. Also after calculating my intake, and with all the fat I ate, I for sure thought I was going to have a serious increase in caloric intake. Low and behold, to my surprise, I was right at 1200 calories. wow! I'm diggin this meal plan for sure, more satisfied on less... where can you go wrong?

Primal Journey

Day 2
    Breakfast:
    2tbls Coconut oil (delicious!)
    8oz Coconut milk, unsweetened
    10 raspberries, fresh
    1.5oz deli ham

This meal was half my carb allowance for the day and I'll see how that goes. I was a little short on the fat this morning compared to yesterday as well, so I'll see how long it holds me over today, until I feel hungry again. I can always throw in some nuts or something. Now time to venture out into the world.

Afternoon Snack:
    2oz New York Strip Steak
    Avocado
    12 green olives
    Grande Unsweetened green ice tea with 4oz coconut milk
    2 flaxseed gel caps

Felt hungry around 3pm. Slightly earlier than yesterday but not by much.

Dinner:
    Ahi tuna steak, with a asian wasabi slaw
    Sauteed spinach with tomatoes
    (Not sure on what the spinach was sauteed in since I went out for dinner tonight)

Todays Breakdown
    Total Calories 1270 (81g fat (50.5%), 133g Pro, 45g carbs)

Tonight I got a terrible head ache after dinner, I know I'm not dehydrated since I drink plenty of water throughout the day, so I'm hoping this is my brain throwing a temper tantrum from not getting it's carbs.
    Last edited by ShankInBunkers; 12-13-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Robert Collier
    My Primal Journey

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by grokka View Post
    I like your title.
    Me too
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast