Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gluten and milk are "necessary" components of a diet and I'm a bad mom page

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member

Gluten and milk are "necessary" components of a diet and I'm a bad mom

Primal Fuel
    I had my final exam in pathophysiology today. Our essay question was about a mother whose child had elevated IgE responses to wheat, milk, eggs, and peanuts. Then 6 months later they "returned to normal." The mother had been telling people the kid was allergic to multiple foods and demanded bloodwork. The whole premise was that the mother was crazy because no one else had seen food reactions in the child and she was making it up. I wrote what he wanted me to write:

Diagnosis: Munchausen syndrome by proxy (basically mother is crazy, making stuff up, demanding ridiculous testing, withholding necessary things from the child, etc).

The whole scenario the prof gave basically demeaned the mother for "withholding age-appropriate food" from the child and how "dangerous" it was. You know, because milk, wheat, and peanuts are completely necessary for growth.

The fact that my daughter never tested positive to these foods, but I don't give them to her because of health, makes me even crazier probably. Of course the reactions of diaper rash, temperment flares, and crying fits aren't at all signs those aren't appropriate foods for her.

I'm just disgusted at the state of our medical system.
    Last edited by ShannonPA-S; 12-10-2010 at 09:34 AM.

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    Isn't it sick that you have to lie and BS your way through your education? It would be nice if our society (especially the medical education system) would finally take off its nutritional blinders.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    What a drag Shannon. :-/

this is not nearly as frustrating, but I'm studying to be an MFT (therapist) and there's no mention whatsoever of diet being an issue with depression. I'm not even sure I'd be able to mention diet to a client... sad state of affairs...
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    As a parallel (read, nothing to do with Primal whatsoever), to get your Professional Engineer's license, you have to prove minimal competency in all the basic engineering varieties and a strong proficiencies in one branch if one variety. For example, I specialize in Hydraulics and Hydrology in Civil Engineering. When I take the PE test, I am required to exhibit basic circuits knowledge, Dynamics knowledge, Heat and Mass transfer, engineering economics (that one I can at least understand requiring), biology, chemistry (more than basic, Chem I & chem II), and dif eq (a theoretical math course that is never used because empirical formulae work so much better.) All this as well as my proficiency test in H&H. The theory is that a PE can switch hit between engineerings given enough practice and these basic courses (a holdover from back when electrical engineering was in its infancy so for the most part only civil and mechanical existed.). The reality is that most people, even if they change fields, stay within their basic discipline (for example, I might switch to transportation engineering, but I stay within the bounds of civil engineering.) Engineers have been railing against this for YEARS. NCEES still hasn't accepted reality. The scary part is, any engineer can theoretically sign off on any set of plans and be held liable. I dunno abt you, but I don't want a bridge designer responsible for the chipset in my computer.
    All this long winded thing was to say, the health field ain't the only one that's been fouled like that.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

aktres is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Minxxa View Post
    What a drag Shannon. :-/

this is not nearly as frustrating, but I'm studying to be an MFT (therapist) and there's no mention whatsoever of diet being an issue with depression. I'm not even sure I'd be able to mention diet to a client... sad state of affairs...
    My therapist was fascinated when I told her my mood improved after Vit D supplementation and PB diet. Nutritional influence on mood had never occurred to her before. And she had done clinical work in a hospital setting. Amazing. I think she got more out of our sessions than I did.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aktres View Post
    My therapist was fascinated when I told her my mood improved after Vit D supplementation and PB diet. Nutritional influence on mood had never occurred to her before. And she had done clinical work in a hospital setting. Amazing. I think she got more out of our sessions than I did.
    LOL, I bet she did. And yes it's never spoken about. I'm going to have to investigate on my own to see if I can even suggest changes and additions (under the care of a physician OF COURSE). Maybe I'll just ahve to find a good doctor to be able to refer to...

Naiad, that is crazy. Not surprising, but yes, crazy. It's amazing how non-adaptable our society has become.

And BTW Shannon forgot to mention the obvious-- you're being a good mom. Sucks when your studies are intimating something as serious as Munchausen by proxy because someone notices the effects of foods on their child better than a doctor that hardly knows or sees them. Grrrr.
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Minxxa, I'm sure you're reading this blog, but in case you haven't: http://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogspot.com/

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Actres, this points out something important. Information can flow in both directions between a doctor and a patient. These days, it seems to flow more often from the patient to the doctor than vice verse, especially for non-drug alternatives.

Once in a great while, only a doctor will do. For the rest of the time, in my opinion, people are usually better off avoiding them. It all seems to be the result of a system where research is tied to possible profits from pharmaceuticals, which is REALLY TOO BAD.

Quote Originally Posted by piano-doctor-lady View Post
    Actres, this points out something important. Information can flow in both directions between a doctor and a patient. These days, it seems to flow more often from the patient to the doctor than vice verse, especially for non-drug alternatives.

Once in a great while, only a doctor will do. For the rest of the time, in my opinion, people are usually better off avoiding them. It all seems to be the result of a system where research is tied to possible profits from pharmaceuticals, which is REALLY TOO BAD.
    The pharmaceutical industry is FUBAR. I started reading this article this week, and really hope I never have to take prescription drugs of any kind:

Deadly Medicine

Prescription drugs kill some 200,000 Americans every year. Will that number go up, now that most clinical trials are conducted overseas—on sick Russians, homeless Poles, and slum-dwelling Chinese—in places where regulation is virtually nonexistent, the F.D.A. doesn’t reach, and “mistakes” can end up in pauper’s graves? The authors investigate the globalization of the pharmaceutical industry, and the U.S. Government’s failure to rein in a lethal profit machine.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    I remember dropping gluten, dairy, soy and corn (b/4 becoming primal) b/c of my child's reactions to them. I remember feeling so upset--thinking "what are we going to eat?" after reading the ingredient labels of most of the foods I commonly ate.

It's SO crazy how limited the SAD is, when every single item people are eating on a regular basis contain the same 3 or 4 ingredients. 2 or 4 foods, necessary for life and growth? Now that is a lack of knowledge on nutrition!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast