Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Totally not worth it! page

Totally not worth it!

Shop Now
    Monday will be four weeks for my husband and I. I have been doing very well. I've eaten Primal 99.9% of the time, my husband a little less. We've noticed some incredible changes in the last month: feeling soooooo much better, having energy to last all day long, my aches and pains are much better, especially in my knees.

My husband has lost 6.5 pounds and .5 inches from his waist. I'm down at least 5 pounds and 2.5" gone from my waist. (I wasn't able to weigh myself the first week so that's 5 pounds in 2.5 weeks, which I'm pleased with. It would have been nice to know where I started though.)

We went for a long walk. Before Primal we would walk a very short .4-mile and I'd be done and exhausted. (I'd have to stop a couple of times during that short walk.) This time we walked to the end of our country road, which is 1.6 miles RT. What an accomplishment for me!! To give you some perspective, I weigh over 350 pounds. I felt exhilarated afterwards and I want to be more active, which I will be. (It's cold here though - right now it's only 6 degrees outside - and it's going to be a challenge.)

Anyway, we're excited about the first month - feeling great - even my reluctant husband... then why the negative title? Because yesterday we ate a non-primal meal - on purpose. We had discussed that once a month we'd eat one of our favorite pre-primal meals. Well yesterday we opted for Pizza Hut pizza, bread sticks and ice cream. (Oh, just writing that we ate that intentionally is embarrassing.) That did not go well! It tasted horrible and we are both uncomfortable this morning. Bloated and gas-y all night. Tired. Constipated. We're in deep regret. It was totally not worth it.

My brother had suggested we try pre-primal food and compare how we feel. (He's been primal since this summer and is looking and feeling great.) Well, I can say, I definitely don't miss feeling this way. The contrast is so clear and obvious it's amazing!

I don't think we'll be "planning" a cheat meal once a month. There's nothing to look forward to - IT'S JUST NOT WORTH IT!! It was not satisfying in any way, shape or form.

I had asked my husband if he would try this with me for 30 days. As I said before, he was reluctant to begin with but I just asked him if he wanted to continue. He looked me like it was a ridiculous question and said, "Yes, don't you?" I'm happy he's on board with me. I'm very happy.

Now it's time to get busy and get active in a morbidly obese body with a spirit that wants to sprint barefoot through the woods and pick up heavy things.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations on feeling some big changes in your first month!!

Yeah, I would be completely wrecked for several days if I ate Pizza Hut. It is so not worth it, I agree. I think of it as Primal/Paleo's built-in cheat prevention mechanism.

Isn't it crazy to think that we used to walk around eating stuff like this all the time?!
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Awesome post, I have nothing to really add except keep going and I'm also very happy you have somebody doing this with you. I also feel crappy if I do a lot of grains at once, but I'm glad you experienced it for yourself and learned from it.

Primal food is just so much better tasting anyway. Keep going and congrats on the long walk!

Izzylu is offline Senior Member
    What an amazing accomplishment all around. Your weight loss, your eating, your realizations and your walk. I loved this the most!..."morbidly obese body with a spirit that wants to sprint barefoot through the woods and pick up heavy things."

I've been there. It's amazing how much my life has changed. You will be doing all that and more sooner than you think!
    Strong is the new Skinny!

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FeelingBetterAlready View Post

Now it's time to get busy and get active in a morbidly obese body with a spirit that wants to sprint barefoot through the woods and pick up heavy things.
    HOORAY!

great job and keep it up!

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    That's a dilly of a cheat you had. It's hard to say what made you feel crappier: the dairy, the wheat, the sugar, or the triple-whammy combo.

So good that you're noticing changes beyond mere weight loss. Makes it much easier to stick with, doesn't it?

ritz is offline Junior Member
    congrats on the progress and successes!!

I'm in a similar situation (husband along for the ride but doesn't really do the research behind it). I'm feeling great and hoping he sticks with it enough to reach the same conclusion! So wonderful that you got your husband on board and that you are both seeing the results together.

your pizza hut experience makes me scared to have a full on "cheat" luckily I'm not really craving one...

keep up the great work!

Thank you for the well wishes. They will help us get back and stay on track.

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Well done, you must be feeling so good that you can now walk without pain.

I am new to Primal but was doing low carb. I'd so dearly love my OH to do it, he sits opposite me and eats pasta and rice (no problems there, I'm gluten intolerant and they don't really appeal) but it is the potato chips that I fond hardest to resist, I never met a potato I didn't like!

I first started low carb 5 years ago at 131 kgs (289 lbs). I lost 29.5 kgs (65 lbs) in 5 months, and then, stupidly, fell off the wagon after a car accident and a lot of stress. Back on it now and have lost 5.9kgs in 5 days and feeling great again. Stick with it, this is all that works for life I think.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations on your growing fitness! (Isn't it brilliant? Same experience here - the hill that used to make me breathless and miserable to walk up is now actually fun on the bike.)

I'm having similar feelings about 'cheats'. My husband bought me beautiful top quality chocolates for my birthday. On the one hand, yum, and I am never giving this up. And on the other hand, fuzzy head, indigestion (I'd forgotten that existed), and spots.

Makes me start to wonder about things I can treat myself to that aren't food.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast