Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cookies!!! page

Nathan Smetzer is offline Junior Member

Cool Cookies!!!

Shop Now
    So not a week after I started on the Primal Blueprint, my mom's package came with two huge bags of amazing cookies...ugh...good thing we have this 80% rule, I'll probably stick to eating 1 maybe 2 a day, but they are darn irresistable...just passed them out to my office and they're going nuts about them (idea on how good they are). Self-discipline, this one's going to be hard...

Okay well crisis averted, I passed as many as I could out to my office (they got sort-of tired of them after a few, they're pretty rich). And I just ate the rest, wasn't much, so the binge was limited and contained... :-)

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Yeah I brought in a couple bags of wasabi peas to the office. I LOVE wasabi peas, but they're sugary and gluteny. And our office park management hands out boxes of candy for "the holidays" so I've got that trap to avoid too.

JenCat is offline Senior Member
    We got two packages of Cheryl's Cookies on the same day - one from my hubby's boss, one from his mom. While they look amazing, I just can't do it. My daughter insisted that I try a bite. I took one tiny little nibble; they're just too sweet. It's more of an emotional response. I mean, it's Christmas, you ahve to have some cookies, right? Fortunately, I know immediately - after one bite - that my body doesn't want them.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Sugar is a trigger for me--makes my appetite insatiable, but it's also poison for me, as my arthritis flares up, etc., etc. I find that total abstinence is the only way I can control this. One bite of a cookie or a piece of candy, and I'm lost in a sugar haze as I gobble away.

Ironically, once I'm committed to NOT even one bite, I can be around sweets all day with nary a temptation.

I'm convinced that so much of this is psychological.

Well I definately got my sugar high on those cookies. Whew, I felt the crash coming, got some good strong coffee to level it out. I don't get off work until midnight anyways. I reset by only having veggies and meat, no fruit so the carb count, though coming from the wrong area, was stunted at the cookies. And yes, I definitely agree it's emotional, I mean, what kind of son would I be if I didn't have a few of my mom's cookies she took the time to bake and mail out here? She knows I love them (never was a cake person, always had cookies for my b-day!), so she send them when she can, almost as a test to my willpower...I lose normally...but I try to minimize the loss by spreading the wealth!!! Other than that, the stuff we have around here that pass as snacks were bland, prepackaged chips, muffins, etc etc and I really never touched those to begin with due to not really liking them anyways. Guess the biggest slap on the hand for me was the fact that I usually ate 1 or 2 sandwiches with wheat bread for dinner for at least 5 months (not knowledgable as I am now). I look at everyone else indulging and want to say something but somehow telling them that grains are not healthy seems like BS to them... can't get em to come around... oh well I guess...

anne is offline Member
    It's great to hear that all of you handled your cookie crisis so well, I hope you will be a good example for me

I'll have to bake cookies today for a christmas party on Monday, I wouldn't want to but I know that two friends will be very happy about it so I will just make a small selection and try not to eat too much of them. I'm worried though because I'll at least have to taste them to know whether they turned out right and for me there is still a big risk that things will go downhill from there and I'll end up having my first big sugar binge since going primal.

At least it will all be over on Monday. Much better than last year were I made 14 types of cookies for family and friends and snacked on them during the entire advent season. Yuck.

Enamel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by anne View Post
    I'm worried though because I'll at least have to taste them to know whether they turned out right and for me there is still a big risk that things will go downhill from there and I'll end up having my first big sugar binge since going primal.
    I had to get used to not tasting things I bake for other people when I found out I was allergic to wheat, and at first I'd tell myself 'oh nooo how will I know if they're good if I don't taste them?', but it's pretty hard to mess up a cookie if you've got a decent recipe.
    If you're worried about binging on sugar, I would advise you to have someone else taste the cookies. I don't know what it's like for you, but eating sugary things puts me into a really destructive mindset. That's unlikely to happen to most people, but sugar can definitely trigger a drug-like need to eat more and more of it, and you're pretty much guaranteed to feel sick after a lot of it.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    Sugar is a trigger for me--makes my appetite insatiable, but it's also poison for me, as my arthritis flares up, etc., etc. I find that total abstinence is the only way I can control this. One bite of a cookie or a piece of candy, and I'm lost in a sugar haze as I gobble away.

Ironically, once I'm committed to NOT even one bite, I can be around sweets all day with nary a temptation.

I'm convinced that so much of this is psychological.
    Sorry for the OT....but emmie, I am using this diet to treat arthritis. I am not super careful about sugar (i'm not eating gummy bears or anything, but I still get some sugar), you feel sugar by itself impacts your arthritis? What type of arthritis do you have? Thanks!!!

emmie is offline Senior Member
    jammies-
    I have rather severe osteoarthritis and have been off all meds (Rx or OTC) for the past 5 years by eating an anti-inflammatory diet and exercising (in water mostly). I've found that sugar is one of the worst things--if I indulge in a dessert, the next morning, my joints will be on fire. It's definitely the sugar. I avoid artificial sweeteners as well, but I'm not as sure about their inflammatory effects as I am about sugar--although I avoid them because my body seems to react to them like sugar--i.e., I get both tired and hungry almost immediately.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast