Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cramps? page

infinite is offline Junior Member

Cramps?

Primal Fuel
    I've been eating two banana's a day for a while now, 2 months, but I am feeling like my legs are getting close to having random cramps when at rest. When I was on Atkins I had a couple episodes where some major leg muscles cramped up in my sleep. It was so painful that I almost woke up screaming from the pain.

Does anyone have suggestions.

Kitty is offline Member
    Hi,

Correct me if I'm wrong but I have thought there are a few reasons for cramps;
    low potassium [suspect not if you are eating a couple bananas a day?]
    dehydration
    Low sodium

I found that when I stopped adding sea salt and eating processed foods that I would get twinges. I kinda go by the Panu thought and add sea salt as I like - becuase, well, I like it though I use nowhere near as much as I used to,

There is a train of thought that low carb can cause cramping? But I dont know about that - any thoughts?
    Dont know how much sodium, water or carbs you currently intake.

Kitty

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Aside from the 2 bananas a day what does the rest of your diet and workout regimen look like?

Grizz is offline Banned
    Leg Cramps are caused by vitamin deficiency. Details here:
    http://www.buzzle.com/articles/leg-cramp-causes.html

Grizz

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by infinite View Post
    I've been eating two banana's a day for a while now, 2 months, but I am feeling like my legs are getting close to having random cramps when at rest. When I was on Atkins I had a couple episodes where some major leg muscles cramped up in my sleep. It was so painful that I almost woke up screaming from the pain.

Does anyone have suggestions.
    Sounds like more magnesium is in order. Possibly more potassium (K) as well, but especially Mg. The bananas supply around 800 mg K but your daily K requirement is at least 3500mg (RDI) and maybe 2-3x that.

There is some excellent magnesium and potassium reading in my linked google doc below. kripspin.com also has great info.

Fwiw I can't tolerate any magnesium citrate (incl natural calm) or any magnesium glycinate. I use Jigsaw Health Magnesium which is a time released mg dimalate formulation. If anything less expensive were tolerable, I'd be taking it

I take potassium citrate or gluconate as needed to round out my K intake but prefer to get sufficient K via food (produce mostly but also meat). I also try to keep the K:Na ratio at a reasonable level by keeping Na intake fairly low. Sometimes. lol

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I concur with the magnesium recommendation (especially since you've got the potassium covered with the two bananas a day). I recently added magnesium because my legs were cramping like crazy and driving me absolutely nuts. The first two nights, it was actually worse, but then quickly settled down after that. No problems since.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

ShankInBunkers is offline Junior Member
    You could need more Calcium too. I found that when I cramp up it's not potasium or sodium, it's calcium that helps.
    Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out -
Robert Collier
    Danielle Shank Photography
    My Primal Journey

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    (especially since you've got the potassium covered with the two bananas a day).
    We need at least 3500 mg potassium per day, probably much more.

2 bananas offer up 800 mg potassium iirc.

2 bananas per day will not cover potassium needs.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member
    I'll throw my hat in the magnesium ring. And eating lots of vegetables will go further with potassium than bananas, and it'll boost your magnesium to boot. Think spinach, artichokes, avocados, etc...

erica057 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Pumpkin seeds are an excellent source of magnesium. If you buy the salted kind you also get sodium with it.
    My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast