Thread: Staying Primal Even when in finals, sleep deprived, and depressed page

jpace is offline Junior Member

Staying Primal Even when in finals, sleep deprived, and depressed

Shop Now
    Hi guys. I'm a college student at a rigorous university and my primal habits have gone haywire with lack of sleep, stress, and depression (from some external circumstances going on in my life that have nothing to do with school). I'm having a lot of trouble and have been bingeing on milk chocolate covered almonds, bready stuff (I normally have NO trouble resisting bread), sweet potatoes (not horrible but I had 3 yesterday), etc. I sit there and eat this stuff and feel bad about it but I don't seem to care too much and have no willpower. Anyone have any insight into why we eat sugars and carbs when we're really tired or sad? I'm normally pretty good primally and love the way it makes me feel and turn to the website when I have trouble or need some motivation but this is just different. Thanks!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I imagine it has something to do with serotonin. Chewing also produces serotonin, so find some beef jerky and replace your carbs with fat (coconut manna works well for me, as a quicky source...)

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Also try to find a completely different outlet at times. I know for me if I'm really craving a certain food then no amount of other snacks are going to make me happy. SO try going for a walk or run, take a nap, read a book, play a video game or something.

Other than that it is a case of you really deciding you want to stay clean about what you are eating and just say no to the bad stuff. I know what you mean though when you are in the middle of a slump and all you want is junk and it seems like to much effort to deal with eating well. Just keep after it and you can do it!

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    In times like these, it's best to keep your food as simple and no-brainer as possible, maybe even eating pretty much the same thing each day (e.g., eggs and fruit for breakfast, BAS for lunch, half a chicken and some greens for dinner) until finals blow over.

Also, look into 5-HTP. It helps with: (1) binge eating; (2) depression; (3) insomnia; (4) low energy. As 5-HTP is a precursor to serotonin, it will fix all that right up. I've been using it with great success. It is surreal for me to say I have not binged since June, when I started taking it. But it does take a while to kick in, so it won't help in the near-term to get you through finals.
    Last edited by TigerLily; 12-10-2010 at 08:46 AM.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates