Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Admittedly an odd topic: Root Canals page

Bill_89 is offline Member

Admittedly an odd topic: Root Canals

I came across a rather disconcerting topic recently . . . an alleged link between root canals and systemic disease, particularly cardiovascular and neurological. The idea is that bacteria can fester inside the anaerobic environment of a tooth that received a root canal and potentially mutate and spread throughout the body, leading to degenerative disease . . .

My initial source for this was a video from Dr. Mercola. Some say he is a quack, but I find his information generally helpful and credible. The original source for this research seems to be Weston A. Price.

The "mainstream" perspective is that this research has since been discredited. I certainly hope there is no validity to this hypothesis because I've already had at least three root canals at the ripe age of 21 (for the record, it wasn't from poor dental care, but from having my teeth knocked out on three separate occasions).

Can anybody clear this up? I really would prefer not to believe this . . .

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Don't remember the source, but it was definitely alternative and definitely discredited this link. Just read it last week. If I can find the source I will post again...

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    I read that article by Dr. Mercola. I decided that I didn't need to fret as much as he did over "authoritative" research carried out in the year 1900. When I read partway through the article, that harmless large bacteria mutate to become tiny harmful bacteria in the tubules of the dead tooth, and that they once more mutate to turn from aerobic to anaerobic, my BS detector was screaming too loudly, and I exited the article.

He can bring up some very good ideas and topics -- and then, there is all the rest of it. Plus, too much of what he says is tied to something he is selling.

I still keep in touch with his website. Now and then he's got something really good.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    I've never read the Mercola article, but i've read this from other sources. essentially, there is a positive CORRELATION between root canals and rates of other diseases, esp. cardiovascular diseases. it COULD possibly be due to the procedure itself trapping bacteria that are just left to fester, but more likely, there is a correlation between caries and disease in general.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Definitely a correlation and almost certainly diet related. I have had too many root canals and have coronary artery disease. My dental health has improved immensely since adopting PB, although my teeth are now stained from cocoa and red wine
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Bill_89 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Don't remember the source, but it was definitely alternative and definitely discredited this link. Just read it last week. If I can find the source I will post again...
    Good to hear.

Because if this turned out being valid, I would have to seriously consider having teeth removed, and that would be a lot of money and trouble.

It was a distressing thing to read to say the least.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    I had one root canal about 10 years ago. I can't remember the technology (maybe ultra-sound?) but the area was magnified and projected onto a screen so that the dentist could see the area as he worked on it. The canal was scraped totally clean, and then (I think) it was filled with some kind of inert substance. Anyway, if there was going to be any sort of infection, I should think it would show up immediately, not years later.

I'm not losing any sleep over it.

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    If you are concerned about bacteria in your mouth, google oil pulling. It saved me a bundle on periodontal treatments and got my gums in great shape. I'm hoping primal will change the tendency toward gum disease that I have. Oil pulling seems a little out there but empirically it changed the health of my mouth in a short and many others report successes. I don't know if it would actually pull bacteria from a root canal but I can certainly attest to it cleaning my gums and the "pockets" that had developed and just leaves an awesome, squeaky clean feeling.

Flexi is offline Member
    +1 on oil pulling. A very old, traditional remedy from Russia.

Other traditional remedies are gargling with your own urine or salt water.

I have had a number of root canal treatments and no matter how good the dentist, there is no way that they can ever remove the whole nerve - to us it looks like a short nerve, but in actual fact it is fine and very long. Taking out only part of the nerve can potentially lead to an infection of the remaining nerve, even if it is dead. So, yes root canal treatments are to be considered carefully, however, the alternative is to pull out the whole tooth. If you don't put something in place of that hole, your teeth can start moving and your bite will not be aligned, which leads to a whole range of other problems. That something to fill the hole is likely to either be a bridge (something that connects to the teeth either side with something resembling a tooth in the middle or a titanium screw with a crown. Not a nice thought and in any case something foreign and metallic in your mouth.

I met a guy from the British Longevity Society (www.thebls.org) and he said that he is trying to repair the damage to his teeth by using nutrition....am interested to find out more about this.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    One problem not addressed above is a POSSIBILITY of a fungus becoming ensconced within the dead root. If that happens, there will be problems---systemic problems. Serious systemic problems that can imitate cancers, diabetes, arthritis, and so on.
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast