Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mainlining Health: Shat's Journal page

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member

Mainlining Health: Shat's Journal

Primal Fuel
    Hello fellow primals. I have been lurking around these parts for a couple of weeks and decided to start a journal to chart my progress. My goals are to increase my energy levels and decrease my autoimmune symptoms. "Looking good naked" would be an added bonus or at least walking around the beach in a decent swimsuit I'm the 45 year old mom of a 7 year old, so the energy is important. I'm also married to a marathon runner which isn't easy when I'm as out of shape as I am now due mostly to a very stressful situation I went through a few years back that just beat me down. Of course, those carbs were ever so comforting:/

For years I thought I was making good, healthy choices by listening to every health tip the mainstream media spewed with forked tongue. Lots of whole grains, soy, low fat, with a protein "garnish" made me tired, fat, and sick. I got in great shape by reading Mercola and following the Fat Flush program by Ann Louise Gittleman. The only problem is that it wasn't sustainable for me due to two little fat (I'm now figuring out) and too much structure. I wandered into MDA by way of the Healthy Skeptic Blog and I think this is going to be a total game changer for me. In less than three weeks, starting the week before Thanksgiving!, I have gained energy and lost pain from fibro and Sjogren's.

Sometime ago, I swore off of the scale, with the realization that I did not want to let a number rule my life. I have been much happier without weighing, but still overweight obviously. I think the Primal Blueprint is the perfect fit for me because my favorite exercise is walking and hiking. I don't mind the occasional sprint and lifting heavy things will work for me now that I have permission not to do so compulsively In these few short weeks, I have clearly lost weight and even have a little more tummy definition. There's no freaking way I want to be the tired, fat couch potato in my family compared to my active, energetic, lean husband and daughter. I think the Primal Blueprint is my blueprint for the life I've always wanted to live. I also think I can lure my husband and daughter down this path with bacon!
    Last edited by TornadoGirl; 12-09-2010 at 06:02 PM.

jazmin is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! I am sure you will continue to have great success with the PB. So many of us have!

I am especially interested to hear how your fibromyalgia progresses. My mom also has it (she is quite a bit older than you), and I am very worried about her. She is on quite an array of medications and has become reliant on Ambien to be able to fall asleep at night. She has some interest in trying the PB, but I think if I could show her stories of others with fibromyalgia this has worked for, then she might be more gung-ho about it. Right now I think she feels it is a permanent condition... and I hope that's not the case, for her or for you!

Anyway, good to 'meet' you!
    Jazmin

Hi Jazmin, I read almost your whole journal yesterday while home sick with strep throat. Hate the strep but enjoyed your journal With fibro, I definitely expect to keep seeing improvement. What has worked so far: low intensity activity: elliptical and walking, low weight high rep weights for range of motion on my sore muscles, calcium and magnesium, clean diet is helping and this will probably only get better. Mastering Leptin by Byron Richards has an interesting chapter about fibromyalgia. It has definitely motivated me to work on my lymphatic system which a naturopath told me was horribly blocked. I have started with a lymphatic massage and the supplement that he recommends. I will be interested to see if this makes a difference. I also need to get back on my rebounder which is supposed to help the lymphatic system work better.

Probably because I started this journal yesterday, I have been pondering what has brought me to the place I am now, health-wise, weight-wise. I began having weird health symptoms in early childhood: rashes and allergy symptoms mostly. This progressed to gastrointestinal complaints in later childhood, many more skin issues, achy joints, worse GI trouble in adolescence, horrible skin problems (BAD acne, eczema). Somewhere along the way, I arrived at the conclusion that I just have a delicate constitution and am definitely sensitive to many chemicals. Interestingly, in early childhood the doctor couldn't figure out what I was allergic to (maybe the Poptart and fruit loop diet, perhaps?)

At one point I was allergic to chocolate, then cats, then I could only eat green apples not red. Meanwhile, I awoke daily with so much gunk in my eyes that they had to be steamed open with a hot compress (no joke!) I fortunately grew out of that and happily went on to eat chocolate and red apples without symptoms and could even have a kitty. But the odd symptoms and the delicate constitution never went away they just changed over time.

At some point, I realized that conventional medicine did not have the answer and started on an equally frustrating odyssey through natural healing. Frustrating because I am coming to the painful realization that I have been a victim of misinformation for many years. When I started trying to improve my diet and my health, I believed what the mass media had to say. Whole grains? You betcha! Soy? Load me up! Low fat? It must be the answer! Looking back and with my growing knowledge of paleo/primal, I now see my problems really began when I read that first damned book on low fat eating because up went the carbs and down went any semblance of healthy fat. Ultimately, my weight went up and my health? Yep, you guessed it. Right into the toilet. Interestingly, my dental health absolutely went south and I gained many amalgam fillings about this time. Within five years, I had a couple of autoimmune disorders as parting gifts, not to mention chemical sensitivity and the most sensitive skin on the planet, frequent colds and flus, etc.

I could weep for those years of lackluster health in what should have been my peak health years, but I am choosing to move on and make the best from here on. I am convinced I have finally found the right path. I have a sneaking suspicion that I didn't really have a delicate constitution after all. I think my body is just more sensitive to wheat, gluten and excessive carbs than others. I expect a transformation.

A brief word about stats: I am a 45 years old, 5'7' and weighed 166 at the doc yesterday. I don't plan on getting carried away with weighing, measuring, obsessing. To me, that's not the spirit of Grok and I had sworn off the scale before I got to Primaland. I will measure my progress anecdotally by how I feel physically, how comfortable I feel in my skin (muffin top overhang and thighs rubbing together are no bueno for me.) I live in South Texas, so comfort in a tanktop and swimsuit would be a huge bonus.

jazmin is offline Senior Member
    I could weep for those years of lackluster health in what should have been my peak health years, but I am choosing to move on and make the best from here on. I am convinced I have finally found the right path. I have a sneaking suspicion that I didn't really have a delicate constitution after all. I think my body is just more sensitive to wheat, gluten and excessive carbs than others. I expect a transformation.
    I feel exactly the same way!!! My twenties were lost in a haze of tiredness and depression and pain. And now I believe that it was from my own dietary choices. This absolutely kills me. I am so sad that I lost more than a decade of my life... but then, it has made me grateful for what I have now, which is pretty darn good health and energy! And ... as someone recently quoted in their journal: "Regret for wasted time is more wasted time." So there's that.

I expect you to have a transformation too! Can't wait to witness it!

If in fact you are excessively sensitive to wheat/gluten, then you may want to keep in mind something Robb Wolf says (OK, not sure if this is 100% proven, but it makes sense, and seems to be true in me): it takes 10-14 days for the gut to heal after gluten has passed through. So, that is why people who try to cut way back on wheat but don't completely eliminate it tend not to heal that well. Anyway, food for thought.

Ugh, strep throat. Sending good wishes your way.

And thanks for the fibro info. I will pass it on to my mom.

strom is offline Senior Member

Well, strom, it's funny you ask, because it is, technically, the past participle of shit. This point was hammered home to me by a dear friend while she was kicking my butt in a death match scrabble-thon (she had a master's in English and about a 150 IQ and I have a love of words and a competitive streak--the master's in psych not so helpful in scrabble). So she spelled shat on a triple word score at the very end and I challenged and lo, and behold, it is in the official scrabble dictionary. I think she savored that victory more than any other LOL. Later, she noticed me signing my name with first initial and last name and as luck would have it the first four letters are shat. So she occasionally would tease me about that and she died this summer, may she rest in peace. So I'm shat which is/was our little inside joke and it's pretty much what the health/medical advice I've gotten over the years turned out to be...

Jazmin, that's so true about wasted time, very profound, I will have to remember that. Interesting what you say about the wheat, because I never would have considered giving it up until now. I've been totally off for about two weeks and I really don't even want it. Every other time I've tried a low carb diet, I couldn't wait to get out of "phase one" and run into the waiting arms (or tentacles) of my sprouted wheat bread. Uhhh. It was truly my gateway food drug. It's amazing how I don't crave other stuff without this dietary "crack" in the picture.
    Last edited by TornadoGirl; 12-10-2010 at 03:06 PM.

I am recovering from strep throat. I almost always get sick after I start a new regimen of healthy eating and/or exercising. The only theory I have for this is that toxins and other bad stuff leaving my body try to inflict one last blow on its way out. I always find this so disheartening when I'm doing all the right stuff only to be waylayed by strep, flu, etc. Usually this serves to derail my efforts and I succumb to sickbed saltines and ginger ale and other unhealthy choices. This time I found myself thinking of primal stuff constantly and cobbling together the best primal meals I could on no energy and waning grocery supplies. I managed on some leftover turkey carcass soup from Thanksgiving, scrambled eggs, a little fruit and some chinese chicken and veg which resulted from a botched order for chinese veg soup. I count this as a huge victory because illness has derailed so many efforts in the past. There was a little IF here and there when I was feeling too terrible to move. Now I'm on the mend and can't wait to get moving again. I will be glad to get strong enough to LHT. That was my goal this week before I took sick.

I think what is the most amazing thing to me about this way of life is that I just don't think about food all of the time. Grains just put me on a blood sugar roller coaster and all I think about is how to feed the beast. What a relief.
    Last edited by TornadoGirl; 12-10-2010 at 05:47 PM.

Still recovering nicely from strep. I know my newfound diet is helping.

Breakfast: frittata with spinach, onion, garlic, red pepper and bacon with a greek yogurt and cherry "parfait"

Want the primal cookbook. Wonder if I can find it locally? Too impatient to wait for amazon. Also want to find the Vegetarian Myth. I have a lot of meat eater's guilt and Buddhist leanings which bother me some with meat consumption. Maybe that'll help?

Another happy thing: my blood pressure was 118/78 at the doc on Thursday. It tends to be high and I was in so much pain with strep that I was considering a do it yourself tonsillectomy.

Two awesome developments: I forgot to eat lunch yesterday. This may not seem like that big of a deal, but I used to never forget to eat. I was on a crazy train of blood sugar highs and lows and now my body is running like a well oiled, efficient machine. I found myself around 2pm yesterday wondering why I was feeling a little weak and "funny" between meals. I finally realized that I wasn't between lunch and dinner like I was thinking because there had been no lunch so I made a big ass salad.

I also realized yesterday that I had downsized to my smaller pants which are in the 8/10 range down from the 10/12 range. My favorite jeans fit and feel perfect. Even though my primary purpose here is wellness, I'm excited to look sleeker and my muffin top is shrinking quickly. I'm going to London and Paris in the summer and don't want to look like a fat American. At this rate, I will be a very skinny American

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast