Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Nightshade Free Support Thread page 8

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Madrox View Post

So i'm curious as to what spices are out as far as nightshades go.

What I use on a daily basis for my own salad dressings with olive oil, cidar vinegar, and lemon juice are black pepper, garlic, onion/chives, oregano, and sometimes instead of just plain oregano i use an "italian spice blend" which has oregano, rosemary, marjoram, thyme, and sage. Is this all good? What about white pepper, turmeric, and mustard seed?

I do use paprika and spicy mustard so I know those are out. Looking to make my own mustard I guess.
    Out - paprika, chili powder, taco seasoning, Tabasco, wing sauce, cayenne pepper, cajun seasoning, sun dried tomatoes, tomato paste.

In - pepper, oregano, basil, cumin, thyme, tarragon, ginger, cinnamom, mustard seed, celery seed, onion powder, garlic powder, dill, rosemary, chives, sage, coriander, bay.
    Last edited by Adrianag; 02-13-2011 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Moved pepper from out to in. Added a few more to in.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianag View Post
    Out - Pepper, paprika, chili powder, taco seasoning, Tabasco, wing sauce, cayenne pepper, cajun seasoning, sun dried tomatoes, tomato paste.

In - oregano, basil, cumin, thyme, tarragon, ginger, cinnamom, mustard seed, celery seed, onion powder, garlic powder, dill, rosemary, chives, sage.
    I think pepper is okay - as long as it is black pepper. http://plants.montara.com/ListPages/...es/Solana.html

Otherwise, that is pretty much the list I follow. Lots of things that just say "spices" end up having paprika if you dig deeper, so I tend to make my own spice mixes.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I think pepper is okay - as long as it is black pepper. http://plants.montara.com/ListPages/...es/Solana.html

Otherwise, that is pretty much the list I follow. Lots of things that just say "spices" end up having paprika if you dig deeper, so I tend to make my own spice mixes.
    You are correct, I added it at the last minute and put it in the wrong place. I 'm going to edit it now.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post

Black pepper and other spices contain oxalates which come with their own set of problems.

canadianwoman is offline Senior Member
    Count me in. I don't eat nightshades.

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Hi,
    I am going to have to trial going nightshade free sometime soon. I've done a whole30 and my shoulder soreness is much better but I still have some joint aches and pains. Staying completely away from gluten and corn is the biggie for me but I would like to get rid of these lingering symptoms.

I don't know when I'll do it as I have a lot of things to consider- also I think I am sensitive to coconut, want to try going nut free, and am working on a leaky gut and candida protocol. So I thought I'd hang out here for a while and get ideas on how to do it before taking the plunge.

No tomatoes, no aubergine, no chilli.... seriously I don't know how likfe will be worth living lol!!!
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Keithallenlaw is offline Senior Member
    I tossed out my dried red peppers, and I am not planting any this year along with tomatoes.
    So I'm with you to see if this helps. I will replace them with more zucchini and squash. So
    instead of battling the tobacco worms this year, I get to put up with squash bugs. Nasty
    pest.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Horsewoman View Post
    Hi,
    I am going to have to trial going nightshade free sometime soon. I've done a whole30 and my shoulder soreness is much better but I still have some joint aches and pains. Staying completely away from gluten and corn is the biggie for me but I would like to get rid of these lingering symptoms.

I don't know when I'll do it as I have a lot of things to consider- also I think I am sensitive to coconut, want to try going nut free, and am working on a leaky gut and candida protocol. So I thought I'd hang out here for a while and get ideas on how to do it before taking the plunge.

No tomatoes, no aubergine, no chilli.... seriously I don't know how likfe will be worth living lol!!!

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Good luck guys! It can be life changing if they impact you (they totally impact me!)...
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Life without the joint/muscle pain is so much tastier to me than even peppers!! Thanks for this thread. It has been quite interesting and helpful. I have been nightshade free exceot goji berries in one of the only gluten-free snacks at Borders this weekend. That one little snack was abig boo-boo. Anyway, I love being nightshade free. It has been a revelation. That and gluten-free have made great improvements.

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, inspiring to hear success stories. I am thinking maybe this is more important that going nut free for me, might do it first.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast