Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Nightshade Free Support Thread page 7

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by periquin View Post
    Oh Happy Day! I just finished testing my reaction to blueberries, green apples, okra, and artichokes. No problems.

The only hardship was the few weeks without blueberries and apples.

I didn't really expect anything but since I read about the possibility last month--as reported earlier in this thread---I decided to prove things.
    I am glad to hear this! I have been avoiding blueberries and haven't dared to try them...I think I will now! Thanks for doing the guinea pig thing for us

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moo View Post
    Love this thread.

I am also nightshade free, well, to the extent I didn't know about Paprika and mustard both of which I don't eat much of anyhow.

Life without tomatoes is a hard thing to adjust to. One slice and I am in pain though.

My boys have been complaining of muscle aches daily. While it may be growing pains (?) it could also be attributed to the mashed potatoes for dinner? I have gotten them both off bread and pasta so potatoes were a big deal to them.

I think I will eliminate the potatoes and see how they do. I haven't eaten potatoes in years so I guess I just didn't make the connection with night shade.

Anyone else have muscle aches from potatoes?

Thanks for all the great stuff in this thread
    I am very sensitive to potatoes (more so than any of the grains) and get joint swelling and muscle fatigue from eating them. I can remember feeling crappy quite young, so if you can help your kids figure out if they are nightshade sensitive, you could be saving them years of suffering. That being said, it certainly would help if they wanted to be part of the experiment Maybe they would enjoy sweet potatoes? There are some faux mashed potato recipes on the forum that might be good to try.

Also -be careful about paprika....it is hidden in a surprising number prepared meats and other foods. Mustard itself is fine....unless of course it contains paprika, which many of them do.

Good luck!!

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Yeah--I react to potatoes as well. 1/2 cup will have my knees and hips in pain.

Ask me how I know. (Dumb dumb dumb...)
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

periquin is offline Senior Member
    jammies: Blueberries have a deleterious effect on some. That is what caused me to test them. I learned that there is no noticeable problem for me. I hope that is also true for you too.

moo: You mentioned muscle pain. That is a different matter than a joint problem. Years ago I was taking meds, and attending groups at the VA Medical center for learning to cope with fibromyalgia. Interesting that we were to learn to live with it instead of get cured. Anyway, I got off the meds and left the group and lived in comfort starting about two months after avoiding tap water.

Filtered water. Only filtered water. I use distilled water. Others use reverse osmosis with similar results.
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Keithallenlaw is offline Senior Member
    Looks like I wont be planting my normal tomatoes and peppers this year.
    I'll replace it with more squash,zucchinis, and greens. Thanks for sharing!

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by periquin View Post
    jammies: Years ago I was taking meds, and attending groups at the VA Medical center for learning to cope with fibromyalgia...Anyway, I got off the meds and left the group and lived in comfort starting about two months after avoiding tap water.

Filtered water. Only filtered water. I use distilled water. Others use reverse osmosis with similar results.
    that's really interesting, any idea what it is in tap water that gets to your system? How in the world did you figure that out?

Quote Originally Posted by Keithallenlaw View Post
    Looks like I wont be planting my normal tomatoes and peppers this year.
    I'll replace it with more squash,zucchinis, and greens. Thanks for sharing!
    Yum, under primal , if dairy is ok with you, stuffed fried squash blossoms are in!

Keithallenlaw is offline Senior Member
    "stuffed fried squash blossoms are in"

Enlighten me please. Thanks!

Here's a basic how-to http://www.bellalimento.com/2010/07/...tta-and-herbs/ you can fill them with a spoon. Be sure to leave room to twist the ends closed before battering and frying.

The filling is ricotta, garlic and herbs. Optional but delicious todie for addition to the basic filing is sauteed pancetta cubes and the rendered fat...Then they are battered and fried. I would dip the stuffed blossoms in beaten egg and then in the cheapest parmesan, then fry.

An even simpler version is to put a finger of cheese in the blossom, batter and fry, bacon optional .

I usually accompany them with a simple tomato marinara, but in view of no nightshades a lemon aioli or any other sauše which is compatible with cheese and garlic will work.
    Last edited by Adrianag; 01-30-2011 at 07:52 AM.

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member
    I've been thinking about this recently and was wondering if someone could help me out.

I've not been able to find a definitive nightshade food list other than potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, and peppers.

So i'm curious as to what spices are out as far as nightshades go.

What I use on a daily basis for my own salad dressings with olive oil, cidar vinegar, and lemon juice are black pepper, garlic, onion/chives, oregano, and sometimes instead of just plain oregano i use an "italian spice blend" which has oregano, rosemary, marjoram, thyme, and sage. Is this all good? What about white pepper, turmeric, and mustard seed?

I do use paprika and spicy mustard so I know those are out. Looking to make my own mustard I guess.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast