Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Nightshade Free Support Thread page 4

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    I've moved on to the fifth and final stage of grieving.... acceptance.
    Laughing.....but only because it is too damned true

Quote Originally Posted by periquin View Post

Mustard is really no problem. I don't use much mustard, but when I do I make it. Basics--mustard powder from the spice rack and some water. That makes an Asian style mustard, hot, like in a Chinese restaurant. For other flavors I add whatever spice I feel like tasting. Vinegar also is an ingredient of mustards. I use apple cider vinegar instead of white vinegar. White vinegar can be a petroleum product and it isn't required to add that fact to a label. Even if it isn't a petroleum product it is usually made with corn, which is verboten for me as well.
    Hi Periquin - thanks for the clarification. I would hate for someone reading this to think that they can't eat mustard. Where I get in to trouble, is that a lot of store mustard has paprika in it! Enough to cause me problems. I didn't think about making my own - it's a good idea.

Thanks!

This is sort of an expansion of the mango salsa, but I think this would be great - gotta leave out the peppers and tomatoes though.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/p...ipe/index.html

I have been avoiding artichokes and blueberries because I read they have high levels of solanine which is suspected to be the problematic compound in nightshades. Anyone else doing this? Do you find it matters?

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Bushrat: hot things---ginger, garlic, mustard, radish (wasabi)\
    chili substitute--not perfect, but try chutney based things, especially with extra ginger. Experiment some till you find the taste you want.

About blueberries-- I couldn't find anything conclusive about any hazard from blueberries. Some sites I visited list blueberries artichokes, okra,apples, and more as containing solanine, but they didn't rate them as having as severe an affect as the nightshades. I need to experiment some. I consume green apples and blueberries. They are nearly the only fruits I eat regularly on an anti fungal diet that I follow. Okra and artichokes are staples for me too. I do need to do some experimenting. I hope that the blueberries and apples don't bother me.

I don't know if I should be happy or not learning about solanine and blueberries. Life goes on!
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Quote Originally Posted by periquin View Post

About blueberries-- I couldn't find anything conclusive about any hazard from blueberries. Some sites I visited list blueberries artichokes, okra,apples, and more as containing solanine, but they didn't rate them as having as severe an affect as the nightshades. I need to experiment some. I consume green apples and blueberries. They are nearly the only fruits I eat regularly on an anti fungal diet that I follow. Okra and artichokes are staples for me too. I do need to do some experimenting. I hope that the blueberries and apples don't bother me.

I don't know if I should be happy or not learning about solanine and blueberries. Life goes on!

Apples! I had no idea. I grew up on an apple farm. I've never gone more than 3 days without an apple in my whole life. I will have to leave them out for a while and see what happens. Oy Vey....it's always something

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    I'm so glad this thread is still alive! I NEED it!!

Jammies, I've read that about blueberries (but not apples!!) I would think if you cut them out for a week or two and then tried them again while maintaining a strict nightshade free diet, you'd be able to see if they were really impacting you... Just a thought!

Thanks for the mustard ideas periquin!! I tried making my own once and the results were...bleh. I have found a dijon with few ingredients that tastes good and has NO nightshades (yay!) so I'll prob. stick with that. (Easy :-)

Bushrat--I've seen cumin used as the major spice to replace hot things in nightshade free recipes. Also, black pepper is NOT a nightshade and fine to use in ample quantities. (THIS is my biggest challenge--I love peppers as a seasoning/spice...)

Nightshade free chili (I googled, but have not tried it): http://www.eatingwithfoodallergies.c...ree-chili.html

I found my joints were still aching a bit yesterday, and last night I got very little sleep for me (5.5 hours--I usually get 8) and my hips are just aching! I read that in another thread about folks' joints hurting from lack of sleep. I've noticed its true for me as well. May be lingering from my nightshade consumption as well...? More motivation to avoid avoid avoid!!

I'm craving mango salsa on chicken or fish...mmmm...

Yesterday I ate ketchup. I just wasn't thinking... I didn't even realize it, but I got halfway through my meal and realized I was eating it.....of course ketchup = tomatoes!!! DUMB. So last night/this morning I start dreaming about having to take all these people I know to the hospital, the first person with knee pain, the second with back pain....etc.

I woke up at about 4 in the morning....in pain. I am still having swelling and pain. Enough that I had to limp today. I wonder how many times I am going to have to learn this lesson I have a very long flight tomorrow evening. I sincerely hope I am better by then.

Nightshade are not my friend.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Sorry jammies. YIKES. I can (now) totally empathize. I hope you are feeling better really soon.
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It seems that if one does without something like nightshades, and then eats it as a challenge, the reaction is really intense, much more than it was when having the same thing most of the time. It surely does show where the trouble lies, though.

If someone is only slightly sensitive to nightshades and wants to eat potatoes, the solanine is concentrated just under the skin, so peeling the potatoes should get rid of a lot.

Has any of the literature about nightshades mentioned that the Ayurvedic herb ashwagandha is a nightshade? Any idea what alkaloids are in there? It's so good in so many ways. it would be a shame to have to avoid it.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast