Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Nightshade Free Support Thread page 3

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Mango salsa is also a good sub for the more traditional kind. I just realized this the other day.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/e...ipe/index.html

FairyRae: I always find it so interesting what food item people struggle with to let go. For everybody, there's always SOMETHING. I walked away from nightshades (hands off my damned mustard, tho!) without even so much as a glance back, but struggle with dairy. And you're exactly the opposite.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    TigerLily, I think I was really lucky (in a really weird way) that my son had clear food sensitivities and reactions to gluten, dairy, corn and soy, while nursing. I basically _had_ to cut them or continue watching him in pain. It felt like I didn't have an option, it was just something I HAD to do for my baby, as his mother, and in ways I'm grateful, b/c I probably never would have followed this path had I not dropped those foods back then. (I had no CLUE how much of an impact on my life it would have.)

I also went through serious withdrawl from gluten and dairy and thought it was INSANE how addictive foods could feel. And prior to quitting, I clung to gluten like there was no tomorrow, trying to justify why I should keep it in, how that couldn't be an issue for him, etc...Once it was out of my system, I have had almost no urge for gluten--esp bread--which was shocking to me--at all. I've had urges for sweets made with gluten free flours, but I think that is more sugar related than gluten related--gluten free subs for sweets have always been acceptable to my pallette, while gf bread is just NOT--blech. (A major reason I wanted to do the whole30 is that I still have a sugar issue. )

Nightshades--my ds shows no sign of having issues with nightshades. So, the motivation is quite different. This is only about me now (I don't *have* to do it for my baby's health). Its also always seemed harder for me to make that decision to drop something than to actually do it--once I do that, it feels a lot easier, prob. because I realize that food--whatever it is--is not necessary for my life, or for my food to be delicious. And now that I'm not having joint issues (seriously, a week ago or so I was in horrible pain b/c its so cold here), I'm super motivated to stick to this, and maybe go all the way with it.

I'm really liking the whole30 as well. In a lot of ways, I'm really an all-or-nothing person, and having the 20% option may have muddied things in *my* head. (I don't know that I would have gone primal without that option in the first place, but now I'm at a place where whole30 seems like something that could really work for me now.)

Fascinating stuff for sure!

Do you like mango salsa in Mexican style dishes? I'm intrigued! My sister LOVES fruit salsas on fish, ever since her honeymoon in Jamaica (fresh fish every day with various fruit salsas--I was drooling with every one of her descriptions--she mostly talked about the food! )

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I am SUPER excited for both of the recipes posted! I am trying them both this week. The pumpkin marina is going over spaghetti squash and the mango salsa (minus the peppers) is going to go over grilled chicken thighs with avocado. I LOVE having new meals to try.

Thanks!

Bumping--tried any recipes yet jammies? I just got some pumpkin, sweet potato, and butternut squash yesterday. Planning on doing something sauce-wise with them. Also got a mango--would love to make a mango salsa to serve over chicken or fish...mmmmm...

So I've been mostly nightshade free for a/b 3 weeks. As nightshades are not out on the whole30 (my other current experiment) I thought I'd try them last night to see what happened, and to see if my joint pain had just alleviated from so strictly avoiding sugar for the past few weeks...

Approx 1/2 cup of tomato puree + 1/2 hour later and WOW! My knees started to ache, then my hips! It kept getting worse and once an hour had passed felt just like it used to (almost all the time--I can't believe I lived like that!) So, I'm absolutely sensitive to nightshades in anything more than trace amounts. The pain lasted all night until I went to bed (I hate ache-y hips in bed!) Feel just about all better today--my knees feel sensitive but are not in bad pain.

I'm blown away. I honestly can't believe I endured this awful joint pain for at least my whole adult life without ever realizing this or making a change. Its INSANE how much this has impacted my quality of life before now. It's absolutely the reason I've loved yoga since the start (alleviated the joint pain a bit for me). I am really really amazed at how greatly I was impacted in such a short amount of time. I don't even want to trial any other nightshades in any large amount because the pain sucks so bad. CRAZY!!

I guess I should get started on some of those nightshade free recipes... And I will continue to work on getting all the trace nightshades out of my life as well to see how that makes me feel...

WOW!

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    WOW, WOMAN!
    It's a good thing you've undergone this reinclusion experiment, or you never would have known! Amazing what pops up.

As for me, I am doing great keeping away from the 'shades. It's been surprisingly easy, really. (Let's not discuss dairy, however. Ahem....) Now that I've realized there's a substitute for my beloved tomato-based salsa and pico de gallo, I am okay. I've moved on to the fifth and final stage of grieving.... acceptance.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

periquin is offline Senior Member
    I also avoid nightshades, and for the same reasons posted above--joint pain. No nightshades equals no joint pains for me.

I appreciate the two salsa recipes that were posted.

Mustard is really no problem. I don't use much mustard, but when I do I make it. Basics--mustard powder from the spice rack and some water. That makes an Asian style mustard, hot, like in a Chinese restaurant. For other flavors I add whatever spice I feel like tasting. Vinegar also is an ingredient of mustards. I use apple cider vinegar instead of white vinegar. White vinegar can be a petroleum product and it isn't required to add that fact to a label. Even if it isn't a petroleum product it is usually made with corn, which is verboten for me as well.

Mustards are a fairly easy green to grow. Just the leaves as a green in a salad or stew, whatever, impart some mustard taste. If it goes to seed, collect the seeds and crush them and use the paste to make a mustard.

It took a long time to quit nightshades. So many dishes pretty much are based on them. They taste too good too. After a time they aren't missed.
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Have you found a way to replace chilli? And what sort of spices give that 'hot' affect to food but aren't nightshades?

jammies is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
    So I've been mostly nightshade free for a/b 3 weeks. As nightshades are not out on the whole30 (my other current experiment) I thought I'd try them last night to see what happened, and to see if my joint pain had just alleviated from so strictly avoiding sugar for the past few weeks...

Approx 1/2 cup of tomato puree + 1/2 hour later and WOW! My knees started to ache, then my hips! It kept getting worse and once an hour had passed felt just like it used to (almost all the time--I can't believe I lived like that!) So, I'm absolutely sensitive to nightshades in anything more than trace amounts. The pain lasted all night until I went to bed (I hate ache-y hips in bed!) Feel just about all better today--my knees feel sensitive but are not in bad pain.

I'm blown away. I honestly can't believe I endured this awful joint pain for at least my whole adult life without ever realizing this or making a change. Its INSANE how much this has impacted my quality of life before now. It's absolutely the reason I've loved yoga since the start (alleviated the joint pain a bit for me). I am really really amazed at how greatly I was impacted in such a short amount of time. I don't even want to trial any other nightshades in any large amount because the pain sucks so bad. CRAZY!!

I guess I should get started on some of those nightshade free recipes... And I will continue to work on getting all the trace nightshades out of my life as well to see how that makes me feel...

WOW!
    It was a plate of mashed potatoes that really showed my the truth on nightshades. It took me 12 hours and then my right knee was so swollen my pants were tight on that knee. It was so painful. I lived with those swollen joints for years....what a waste.

It really is a pain to avoid them, but once you know what they are doing to you, it sure makes you think twice before cheating!

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast