Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Nightshade Free Support Thread page 2

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
    Woo hoo! Annie's dijon mustard looks nightshade free! Yay!

http://www.anniesnaturals.com/organic_condiments
    Great find....thanks for sharing Mustard with paprika is a problem for me. Plus, I never even THOUGHT about pimentos. No wonder I felt so crappy after that dirty martini with three olives in it
    Last edited by jammies; 12-09-2010 at 07:25 PM.

For me, the biggest nightshade I get caught off guard by is paprika. It is stuck in lots of things....marinades or spice rubs on meat, it's often on the rotisserie chicken at the grocery, in tons of sausages, soups, etc. It pretty much make the few remaining primal convenience foods off limits. I am sure I still get some on occasion, but I am getting better at finding it!

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I fail to see how 1 (or hell, let's live on the edge with 2!) teaspoon(s) of paprika in a recipe that serves 4 could possibly spark an autoimmune response. (?!) This just seems crazy to me....
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    I fail to see how 1 (or hell, let's live on the edge with 2!) teaspoon(s) of paprika in a recipe that serves 4 could possibly spark an autoimmune response. (?!) This just seems crazy to me....

In sensitized individuals it can take VERY tiny amounts of the offending agent to induce an immune response. A teaspoon of peanut butter in a dish would be more than enough to cause an immune response in an allergic person. Some celiac patients have been shown to react to extremely tiny amounts of gluten. A single bee sting can kill an individual who is allergic.

I think in people with autoimmune conditions, the immune system is already ramped up and ready to go. Tiny amounts of antigen can go a long way.

However, I will say, there is enough variability in my disease from day to day, that is NOT an exact science figuring out what triggers things, so small amounts may not be the culprit. It could be something entirely different and I just blame it on trace sneaky nightshades

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    My son has no real allergies. But he has multiple food sensitivities. A trace amount--like not even a 'pinch'--of corn _anything_ will lead to him having an awful, burning rash on his butt within a day. It's crazy how powerful tiny amounts of some substances can be!

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Some celiac patients have been shown to react to extremely tiny amounts of gluten.
    My sister has gotten sick for days from ingesting trace amounts of gluten.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Well, the rheumatologist can rip this jar of mustard out of my cold, dead hands.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Well, the rheumatologist can rip this jar of mustard out of my cold, dead hands.
    Actual LOL!

LOL!

I've been on many forums, some paleo, and there are some folks who just *sort of* avoid nightshades b/c they get reactions from eating them in larger quantities. I don't think every person who has a problem with them needs to avoid them 100% to acheive decent results. Although I think some people are probably so sensitive (jammies, who knows--maybe me! ) that 100% will make a huge difference for them. I think it all depends on you, your body, and your own issues.

I've not complained of my joint pains in over a week I believe, and I've been mostly avoiding nightshades for 16 days now. BUT I've been eating paprika spiced mustard daily. I figure, if I strictly cut it out for the next few weeks or so, then see how I feel, THEN add back in trace nightshades (or even trial real big chunks of them--tomatoes, peppers, etc) I'll be able to better see how they impact me. It's taken me a LONG time to just attempt this. And I'm someone who quit dairy and gluten cold turkey long ago and didn't look back because of my son's food sensitivity issues. But nightshades--ahhh--so hard to let them go! It's probably been almost a year of me thinking about dropping them. *Something* I'm doing seems to be working now--whether its whole30 or avoiding nightshades. Its so cold here and my joints are suddenly *not* aching, for the first time in my adult life. A very good thing!!!

Here are a couple ideas for no-mato maeinara and enchilada sauces:

http://www.mothering.com/community/f...y-free-recipes
    for sauce what about a squash/pumpkin sweet potato sauce? I try to do wihtout tomatoes sometimes actually, because I would rather DD not have them all the time, and I SWEAR my dad reacts to them though he doesn't wnat to think about it, and I cook for them alot

For the pumpkin sauce, (I don't use exact recipes so this is approximating) you can do this two ways: You can use one can of pumpkin, or you can use a winter squash and a sweet potato roasted. I rost HUGE batches of root veggies and use them for sauce. Here's what I do: 1 butternut squash, a couple sweet potatoes, lots of carrots, and if I have turnips/parsnips use those too. I used to cube everything but that is SO much more work! So preheat the oven to 400, cut your squash in half, drizzle olive oil in a pan and lay it cut down, then rub the sweet potato skins with olive oil put in same baking dish. On another pan put a ton of carrots with olive oil/salt and pepper (like a couple pounds at least). the carrots will finish first, and after the squash is done, just scoop it all out, and peel the sweet potatoes. I also roast a head of garlic at the same time often. Just pulse everything in a food processor together, with a little chicken stock to make it more of a puree and not paste. you can use roasted garlic right in, or just make it plain to use as needed. It has SO much more flavor than just a can of pumpkin.

Another couple ideas is to use this as base for a "non tomato" type sauce. Just take some of your roasted veggie puree, add a little rich homemade chicken broth, and saute some onion, garlic, italitain seasonings satued and then toss it all with pasta.

Here's the actual recipe/method, it's very forgiving: (for an enchilada type sauce)
    2 cups or so of your veggie pure or a can of pumpkin or sweet potato (the small one)
    1-2 tsp each cumin, coriander, oregano
    couple garlic cloves minced
    apple cider vinegar - taste after 2 tblsp or so, i just use a couple good glugs may be more like 1/4 cup
    olive oil
    salt/pepper

FIrst use a good tbls or two olive oil and saute onion till soft, then add garlic, and spices and saute 30 seconds untill fragrant. Deglaze the pan with about 1/4 stock or water if you don't have it and simmer a minute to reduce and make sure all the yummy fried onion/spice stuff is together. Off the heat stir in a little apple cider vinegar, then stir in the pumpkin. I use a little sweetner like sucanat or raw sugar, that type whatever you have, maybe a tsp. Taste and add a little more vinegar if needed. If you love it you can make a big batch and freeze.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast