Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Nightshade Free Support Thread page 14

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    Nice thread. I started an elimination diet three days ago. I've been avoiding it, but my sinuses have gotten worse this month, and I'm really curious to see if this helps me.

For anyone who has successfully eliminated nightshades (and dairy and eggs) -- at what point did you start to notice a change in symptoms? Days? Weeks? I'm curious. So far I don't notice anything, and I'm somewhat resigned to always having allergies.
    For nightshades I noticed a difference in less than a week. I had major swelling and pain in most of my joints (in spite of treatment) and it was noticeably reduced in a few days. Eggs and dairy are less dramatic for me. Dairy causes fatigue for me - it takes at least a week or two of really strict avoidance for my energy to come back. Eggs are hit or miss - sometimes I can eat a few with no real problems, sometimes I get swelling in my knee with a day.

With nightshades, make sure to read labels like a crazy person....nothing listed as having "spices", no paprika, food starch, or thickeners.....it's hidden in everything.

A friend sent me this very interesting article of dietary lectins today. It makes a lot of sense that those of us with autoimmune conditions should stay low lectin/nightshade free after reading this.....

Do dietary lectins cause disease?

dianejaquay is offline Member
    This is such an interesting thread. I'd never even heard the term "nightshade" before I found MDA in August. I suffer from osteoarthritis in many parts of my body. My left knee was so bad this past year that I was most certainly facing a knee replacement operation. I started eating Primal on Sept. 1st, and the improvement in my joint pain has been unbelievable. But I suspect that most of the improvement has occurred from eliminating all grains because I only recently learned about nightshades. Fact is I've never been a huge lover of tomatoes, peppers or white potatoes, and I've never liked eggplant, but I do still eat them occasionally (once or twice a month) and they don't seem to affect me. So does that mean that some people, such as myself, are affected more strongly by grains than by nightshades as far as how it affects arthritis? I don't have an autoimmune disease that I know of. I could pretty easily eliminate nightshades, but like I said I don't notice a flair up in my joints when I eat them. I'm sure grains would be a totally different story though!

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    If I eat too much nightshade, my right thumb twitches. That's just an outward sign, I have no idea what it's doing to my nerves, etc. So I have a little hot sauce once in awhile. But I don't miss tomatoes, eggplant or the rest too often, especially since I can get away with the occasional cheat like an 8-pepper Kung Pao chicken (I love to sweat!) or a little hot sauce on my mackerel. I'm not picky and do fine on a narrow, regimented diet. All I eat are around ten basic food items which satisfy all of my nutritional requirements. Sometimes I'll splurge and get some almonds or something for fun. So I probably don't belong in a support thread since my contributed sentiment would be largely comprised of "Suck it up" and "What are you worried about? Just don't eat them!".

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Snauzoo is offline Senior Member
    I buy Amora or Maille made in France. The Maille sold in the US has xanthan and sulfites. Amora sold here does not. I use a fair amount in salad dressings and mayonnaise. Those two are too hot to use in huge amts like we used to put on burgers and dogs. You can get Maille and Amora at Amazon.com. No spices in Dijon bought in Dijon, not sure about English mustard like Colman.
    Last edited by Snauzoo; 02-19-2012 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peterli7123 View Post
    mustard qualifies nightshade??? ohhh lordy...im doomed lol

Mustard is NOT a nightshade, but prepared mustard frequently contains paprika which is a nightshade.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    I found out that I have pretty severe inflammation and I should do an elimination diet. I thought about it before but never bothered. Now I find it is unavoidable, although I am not sure what I am going to eat since tomato was a staple of my diet.
    A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Quote Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
    I found out that I have pretty severe inflammation and I should do an elimination diet. I thought about it before but never bothered. Now I find it is unavoidable, although I am not sure what I am going to eat since tomato was a staple of my diet.
    Nightshades are tough to avoid. I don't eat nuts, dairy, eggs, or nightshades in addition to normal primal and I think if I could add one back it would be nightshades. Avoiding them means that I pretty much have to cook all my meals. However, eliminating them made a bigger difference in my health than almost any other thing I have ever done. I will never go back to eating them regularly. I DO wish I could cure my intolerance but I have no idea where to start.

How did you find out you have inflammation? It's not something you notice?

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Nightshades are tough to avoid. I don't eat nuts, dairy, eggs, or nightshades in addition to normal primal and I think if I could add one back it would be nightshades. Avoiding them means that I pretty much have to cook all my meals. However, eliminating them made a bigger difference in my health than almost any other thing I have ever done. I will never go back to eating them regularly. I DO wish I could cure my intolerance but I have no idea where to start.

How did you find out you have inflammation? It's not something you notice?
    When I was diagnosed with CVID the immunologist warned me that inflammation would likely be a problem. I was recently tested for inflammation and it came back as being pretty bad.

Without dairy, nightshades and egg what meals form the staples of everyone diets?

What are their go to foods when they need something quick and easy?

Have you found any restaurant foods or takeaway that you can eat?

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast