Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Nightshade Free Support Thread page 12

primalTatoolover is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    As for a ketchup substitute, I use chopped red onion with lime juice, vinegar, sea salt, and cilantro. I love it and whenever I serve it to guests they always eat tons of it and ask for the recipe. You could add a little honey if you wanted some sweetness.
    ouu that sounds really good! ill def. give it a shot thanks!

Solldara is offline Senior Member
    Well enough is enough so I'm joining the nightshade free crowd for the next 2 weeks.

I have had problems with one of my knees for years - its a nagging horrible pain which can keep me up at night. I had hoped that going Primal would cure it but its actually exposed the problem. Since eating this way I have unintentionally increased my nightshade consumption as I would eat quite a few tomatoes and red peppers every day and added to that one of my husbands favourite meals is mince and tomato stew which we tend to have 2 nights running as it makes so much.

Last week as I lay in bed in the small hours with knee pain and various other joints starting to act up that are usually fine or barely noticeable it occurred to me that I'd been the same the week before when I'd had the tomato and mince stew 2 nights running so I think I might be nightshade intolerant - if that proves to be the case then its genetic as my Mum and aunt also suffer from the same issue.

I decided to wait till this week to test the theory and we actually had the stew Sun, with pork yesterday to see if that made a difference, but after I ate the stew again tonight my knee is definitely worse.

So the plan is to cut out all nightshades for 2 weeks but allow yoghurt - if I'm still in pain I'll cut out the yoghurt the 3rd week to see if that helps (I cut out dairy totally for the first couple of months but seemed to be OK adding the yoghurt back in last week - without the nightshades it will give me more carbs to replace those I'll missing as I like to stay around 50-100g a day )

Any idea how long it should take to get results if nightshades are the culprit ?
    1st June 11 to 30st Aug 11 - 36lb removed in 13 weeks
    Messed about on and off for the rest of the year

June 2012 - Had the practice - now time to do it for real

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    I've just began looking into these nightshade foods... I've been doing mostly primal since Feb or so. Feeling much better. However, I still have 1 main problem that has not gone away (let's just call it less than ideal morning trips to the bathroom).

I used to always be bloated before switching to primal - and that has ended for the most part. The only 2 foods that still guarantee gas are peppers and eggplant. I hadn't even heard of nightshades before but I now realize that both are nightshades. I'm still not sure about tomatoes, if they do cause a problem it certainly is much more minor than the peppers and eggplant.

I also have hip pain that is quite uncomfortable but always associated that with running/lifting.

Is there anyway to be tested for a nightshade insensitivity or is elimination really the only way to go? I've just eliminated dairy thinking that might be the culprit and am feeling frustrated by the shrinking list of foods I can eat...

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I have stayed away from nightshades for the last month or so and the knee pain that was just "there" whenever I squatted or went up the stairs is gone now. I also had tummy issues from other veggies, but those are FODMAPs ones. It is a little discouraging to have a reduced set of foods to eat, but I'd rather that than having the knee pains and tummy issues. I thought they were just "me", but they were from foods that didn't work for my body.

Lorich, I didn't eliminate dairy, but since I am lactose intolerant, I just get lactaided up before I eat any. I can't take much of any dairy without lactaid if I want to avoid digestive issues. For me, elimination is the way to go. I have never heard of a nightshade test, although there are lactose intolerance tests.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member
    I skimmed through this thread and may have missed it but has anyone provided a comprehensive list of nightshades/foods to avoid when one's experiencing joint pain and stiffness? I recently got a new, physical job and my body's just wrecked. What's even worse is that this arthritis/tendinitis/whatever-the-fuck in both my feet and hands (with a smattering everywhere else) is making it so, so much harder than it has to be...not to mention the INTENSE mid-back pain as the shift goes on. My hips, knee, and shoulder occasionally hurt, but right now it's my feet and hands that are bothering me the most. My arms are also falling asleep and aching at night which keeps me awake. WTF!? I need this to go away ASAP.

I'm considering a meat, dairy, and fruit (mostly berries) diet. I'll try to get some green leafy veggies into my fruit smoothies where I can but I loath most of them so it's a challenge. Would that not be a relatively anti-joint pain/inflammation strategy?
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Good thread, thanks for the info.

I was doing great on Primal for over a year now (I am pretty strict because I am highly intolerant of gluten, so no cheating for me) UNTIL I went on a major coconut curry kick this month. I was SOOO excited to find the Thai Red Curry Paste and was cranking out all sorts of coconut curries. Until one day I could almost not get out of bed because of extreme back and knee pain. I had no idea what was going on until a week later I stopped eating curry, just got back to regular meat/ veggie combos for dinner and my back recovered. Then, just this Sunday I made coconut curry with the Thai Red Curry Paste (no preservatives, additives but Chilli Pepper is the 1st ingredient if you are not familiar with it) and, wow, within 30 minutes of eating that, I was back to being a total cripple with excruciating back pain. O.k., I know, I am "slow," lol, but I finally made the connection. Two days later now, NO nightshades of any kind and my back is recovering, still hurts but much better. Holy Cow!!!! Well, coconut curry is nice but being pain-free is MUCH nicer. So, no nightshades for me (btw, seasonal nightshades such as truly ripe fresh tomatoes in the summer do not actually bother me, it just seems that I cannot eat them in sauces/ condiments).

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by letsdothatagain View Post
    Good thread, thanks for the info.

I was doing great on Primal for over a year now (I am pretty strict because I am highly intolerant of gluten, so no cheating for me) UNTIL I went on a major coconut curry kick this month. I was SOOO excited to find the Thai Red Curry Paste and was cranking out all sorts of coconut curries. Until one day I could almost not get out of bed because of extreme back and knee pain. I had no idea what was going on until a week later I stopped eating curry, just got back to regular meat/ veggie combos for dinner and my back recovered. Then, just this Sunday I made coconut curry with the Thai Red Curry Paste (no preservatives, additives but Chilli Pepper is the 1st ingredient if you are not familiar with it) and, wow, within 30 minutes of eating that, I was back to being a total cripple with excruciating back pain. O.k., I know, I am "slow," lol, but I finally made the connection. Two days later now, NO nightshades of any kind and my back is recovering, still hurts but much better. Holy Cow!!!! Well, coconut curry is nice but being pain-free is MUCH nicer. So, no nightshades for me (btw, seasonal nightshades such as truly ripe fresh tomatoes in the summer do not actually bother me, it just seems that I cannot eat them in sauces/ condiments).
    I know the feeling. Nightshades just slay my joints. I went out for a nice primal dinner with prime rib, salad, and spinach. The salad and the prime rib had paprika in them, but i ate them anyway. I was literally awake in pain at 1 am that night and was limping with swollen knees the next day. It's such a pain in the but to avoid compared to grains, but it is non-negotiable for me now. Good luck!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokaman70 View Post
    I skimmed through this thread and may have missed it but has anyone provided a comprehensive list of nightshades/foods to avoid when one's experiencing joint pain and stiffness? I recently got a new, physical job and my body's just wrecked. What's even worse is that this arthritis/tendinitis/whatever-the-fuck in both my feet and hands (with a smattering everywhere else) is making it so, so much harder than it has to be...not to mention the INTENSE mid-back pain as the shift goes on. My hips, knee, and shoulder occasionally hurt, but right now it's my feet and hands that are bothering me the most. My arms are also falling asleep and aching at night which keeps me awake. WTF!? I need this to go away ASAP.

I'm considering a meat, dairy, and fruit (mostly berries) diet. I'll try to get some green leafy veggies into my fruit smoothies where I can but I loath most of them so it's a challenge. Would that not be a relatively anti-joint pain/inflammation strategy?
    Sorry - I didn't see this post until now. Things to avoid for sure: tomatoes, potatoes, peppers of any kind, tomatillos, and eggplant, Peppers can be hidden in all kinds of things - you'll frequently find paprika in mustard, pickles, sausages, and all kinds of sauces. Sweet potatoes, black pepper, and white pepper are okay.

There is also some solanine in a few other foods that are not nightshades - apples, blueberries, arthichokes, and cucumber (I think), but the levels are much lower. It may be worth avoiding those during your trial and then testing them individually.

Good luck!

I know the feeling. Nightshades just slay my joints. I went out for a nice primal dinner with prime rib, salad, and spinach. The salad and the prime rib had paprika in them, but i ate them anyway. I was literally awake in pain at 1 am that night and was limping with swollen knees the next day. It's such a pain in the but to avoid compared to grains, but it is non-negotiable for me now. Good luck!
    Thanks for that, sorry you are super sensitive also but this makes me feel less like a freak (kind of went through that feeling with gluten before, was not ready for the nightshades "shocker" as in "what's next" lol, still a heck of a lot better to figure things like that out than treat symptoms, go on meds, right?)

leanzorik is offline Member
    Wow just from paprika you had pain that fast? wow. sorry to hear that. But atleast you identified the specific cause. But that is tough.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast