Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close

Thread: Nightshade Free Support Thread

Threaded View

Lightbulb Nightshade Free Support Thread

I've been mostly-nightshade free for the past couple weeks, although I have been taking in trace amounts via mustard and a couple spices. I'm very interested in learning about how to be strictly nightshade free, and to gather a bunch of nightshade free related resources here. I put this here (instead of in the recipes section) because I'm hopeful those of you nightshade avoiders can share as much info as possible about how to successfully stick to being nightshade free, what products you can/cannot use, what it has done for you, why nightshades can be so harmful to some of us, etc....

In order to totally strip nightshades from my diet, I want to figure out any places they might be 'hidden'. Mostly sticking to whole foods, this should not be too big of a problem, but I know there is usually paprika in mustard, so that is a kind of 'hidden' nightshade. (I've read dijon does not have paprika? I'm planning to look into it...) Any other 'hidden' nightshades you all have found? Obviously most spice blends are out (paprika, peppers, etc). Along with anything that has the ingredient "spices". Any other commonly-used-by-primals food items that someone going nightshade free ought to be wary of? TIA!!

Here are a few resources I have found, and I'd love to add more to this list!!

whfoods: What are nightshades and in which foods are they found?

Foods considered to be nightshades

Nightshade vegetables and fruit

The most famous food members of the nightshade family include potatoes (Solanum tuberosum), tomatoes (Lycopersicon esculentum), many species of sweet and hot peppers (all species of Capsicum, including Capsicum annum), and eggplant (Solanum melongena). Less well know, but equally genuine nightshade foods include ground cherries (all species of Physalis), tomatillos (Physallis ixocapra), garden huckleberry (Solanum melanocerasum), tamarillos (Cyphomandra betacea), pepinos (Solanum muricatum), and naranjillas (Solanum quitoense). Pimentos (also called pimientos) belong to the nightshade family, and usually come from the pepper plant Capsicum annum. Pimento cheese and pimento-stuffed olives are therefore examples of foods that should be classified as containing nightshade components. Although the sweet potato, whose scientific name is Ipomoea batatas, belongs to the same plant order as the nightshades (Polemoniales), it does not belong to the Solanaceae family found in this order, but to a different plant family called Convolvulaceae.

Nightshade spices

The seasoning paprika is also derived from Capsicum annum, the common red pepper, and the seasoning cayenne comes from another nightshade, Capsicum frutenscens. Tabasco sauce, which contains large amounts of Capsicum annum, should also be considered as a nightshade food. It may be helpful to note here that black pepper, which belongs to the Piperaceae family, is not a member of the nightshade foods.
    Nightshade free recipes: (not all primal, but some are a helpful starting place!) (She also has a pretty helpful book that I own w/ recipes. I've not tried them out yet though.)

Looking forward to learning more about all this here!!
    Last edited by FairyRae; 12-09-2010 at 05:30 PM.