Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Nightshade Free Support Thread page 10

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsewoman View Post
    I so wish that was true! I never even suspected I would have an issue with potatoes when I reintroduced them, I thought the symptoms that vanished when I went primal were down to going grain free. It was a very unpleasant surprise when the joint pain kicked in.
    I completely agree. I started off primal right away with a low lectin plan that excluded nightshades. However, I NEVER expected them to be a trigger for me. I found out completely by accident when I went to a conference and was served a plate of mashed potatoes and broiled chicken. By the next morning I could hardly walk. I just never really bought in to nightshade story....boy was I wrong! Now my life is completely changed because I figured it out.

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalTatoolover View Post
    no nightshades in sweet potatoes..very strange..you have no luck with food we shall create a new class of carbs just for you!
    I don't have a problem with sweet potatoes, unless you know something I don't? lol

But yeah, I don't have much luck with food. I guess that's what about 20 years of undiagnosed celiac disease can do to a person!
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by brahnamin View Post
    Hrm. Dunno how I missed this thread back when it was started, but I wanted to share a few things (forgive me if these were already covered - I tried to read all the posts but might still have missed something). My wife isn't necessarily *nightshade sensitive* in the normal sense, but the women in her family share a genetic condition that causes them to develop arthritis early and I've found the more I can cut nightshades from her diet the better she feels (she's a potato addict and a vegetarian so it's hard to eliminate them completely).

Heat Source - Horseradish and Wasabi are fair ways to spice things up, though it is a different kind of burn than that associated with peppers. Dry mustard powder also works well.

Paprika - The most useless yet overused spice on the planet, IMO. Forget about it in any recipe that includes it, but be on the lookout when other people are cooking for you.

Southwest Flavor - From tacos to chili - anything you'd normally use Taco Seasoning (I challenge you to find one without MSG anyway), Chili Powder, Fajita Seasoning, etc - can be replaced with straight Cumin. Adding garlic and/or lime rounds things out nicely. Mustard powder (IMO) is a better heat source than horseradish to add spice to a southwest style dish.

Fruit Salsa - They tend to be annoyingly sweet - which means they do great on fish and chicken, less great on tacos (though they can work well with fajitas (and when I say Tacos and Fajitas, I am - of course - excluding the tortilla or corn shell). But I've found a fix that works fairly well and it's based around garlic and vinegar to replace the acidity and tartness of the tomatoes.

My basic fruit salsa is pineapple based but can include any tropical fruits (mango is very popular, though I hate cutting the bastards up both because of the clingy seed in the middle and because the skin has oils that are very similar in nature to poison ivy oil).

Ingredients
    1 cup fresh diced pineapple (if you are heathen enough to use canned pineapple, ditch the juice - or save it to use in a marinade or something - and rinse the pineapple).
    1/4 cup fresh diced red onion
    2 tbsp chopped spring onion (or 1 tbsp chives or dried green onion)
    1/2 tsp dried cilantro (or parsley if you just can't stand cilantro)
    1 tsp minced garlic
    Juice of 1 lime

1/4 cup each of at least 2 of the following (if you do more than 4 of the following double the ingredients above)

Diced Mango
    Diced Papaya
    Diced Kiwi
    Diced Peach
    Diced Plum
    Diced Pear (should be over ripe or roasted so it's really soft).
    Quartered blackberries
    Diced strawberries

(note: I do not recommend blueberries, grapes, or raspberries for any salsa that is going to end up as part of a southwest style dish)

For a less sweet version substitute any fairly flavorless vegetable for some of the diced fruit.

Diced zucchini or yellow squash, diced cucumber, diced jicama

To make the fruit salsa more southwest friendly add the following

1/4 tsp sea salt
    1/4 tsp coarse to medium black pepper (you can use fine black pepper, but only use 1/8 of a teaspoon
    1/4 cup apple cider or white vinegar
    1 tbsp minced garlic (in addition to what's called for above)
    1tsp ground cumin (or 1/2 tsp whole cumin seed)

1/2 to 2 tsp dried mustard powder if you want it hot

Directions
    This is a raw salsa recipe. Fruit salsas only get sweeter with heat. So you pretty much just mix everything together in a bowl. Southwest cooking is a pretty big thing in my house, and salsa never goes to waste. If you are cooking for just one or two people you can get by on half this recipe easy. But it does freeze well, so if you have leftovers you know you won't use in the next day or two, toss it in a ziplock and throw it in the freezer.

Guacamole - Not really an issue for Nighshades, just leave out the little bit of tomato some recipes call for, but I always make this with my salsa, so here's the recipe if anyone wants it.

Ingredients
    2 avocados
    1 tbsp diced onion
    1 tsp minced garlic
    juice from 1/2 lime
    Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
    Slice avocados in half, pull out the pit, scoop the meat into a bowl and mash with a potato masher or big fork. Stir in remaining ingredients.
    Thanks! These are great suggestions. Horseradish is a great additional to my spicy arsenal....I really do love it. I couldn't agree more about paprika. Why does everyone insist on using it! Kills me every time

I have also been finding a lot of fun "condiment" type relishes and such to add to my food and am really enjoying them. One I use right now is chopped red onion with lime, vinegar, salt, and cilantro. Let it sit for 30 minutes or so and add it to almost anything! I love it on grilled avocado.

Quote Originally Posted by Horsewoman View Post
    I don't have a problem with sweet potatoes, unless you know something I don't? lol

But yeah, I don't have much luck with food. I guess that's what about 20 years of undiagnosed celiac disease can do to a person!

Oddly enough sweet potatoes and white potatoes aren't really very closely related. The trigger in nightshades is though to be a substance called solanine and perhaps cachonine. while white potatoes have tons of it (especially in and under the skin), sweet potatoes do not. So enjoy.

I seem to have trouble with lots of foods as well. I don't really understand it. I did have severe bowel issues for about 20 years, but not a wheat intolerance - it was actually caused by oats. I wonder if that is what did it for me....

primalTatoolover is offline Senior Member
    ohh i had seen you say you were getting flare up with potatoes sweet potatoes and rice...maybe i misread lol

Orannhawk is offline Senior Member
    I've been off of nightshades for over a year now ... I had extensive testing done on food allergies, etc. - even ruled out sweet potatoes, garlic, mustard and quite a few other things. Celiac, so no more gluten or dairy either. The hardest things for me to deal with were the tomatoes, peppers and beans (pintos and kidney). I grew up on pinto beans, chili, lots of spicy hot foods ....
    Jalapenos were a staple food and I don't remember an absence of Tabasco sauce, or later Tapatio sauce (which btw is amazing on watermelon with fresh lime !) on the table. And strangely enough I used to eat vanilla ice cream sprinkled liberally with Tabasco or lots of coarse black pepper.
    When I moved to NM, I switched to more chile's instead of jalapenos ... and now I am off of all of them.

I use a lot of fresh ginger, tumeric, comino, onion powder for the heat, but frankly it doesn't come close to chiles and jalapenos. REALLY miss mustard !
    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

ohh i had seen you say you were getting flare up with potatoes sweet potatoes and rice...maybe i misread lol
    I added sweet potatoes, potatoes and white rice at the same time and had a flare. Sorry if I wasn't clear. Potatoes are suspect number one so I am trying that first, if taking them out doesn't fix it I will take out rice and see if that gets rid of it.

Unfortunately I got glutened yesterday so it'll be a couple of weeks before the joint soreness from that goes away, so I won't be able to tell if anything else is affecting me until that's over.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

primalTatoolover is offline Senior Member
    loll im going to use that term from now on...why do you feel like shit..ive been GLUTENED! haha urgh..nightshade talk depresses me im such a huge fan of ketchup and paprika..i use them on everythinggg does anyone know of something that has a similar taste to ketchup?

loll im going to use that term from now on...why do you feel like shit..ive been GLUTENED! haha urgh..nightshade talk depresses me im such a huge fan of ketchup and paprika..i use them on everythinggg does anyone know of something that has a similar taste to ketchup?
    Being glutened isn't very amusing if you're celiac.

Harold Whitman

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    does anyone know of something that has a similar taste to ketchup?
    Fresh, ripe tomatoes. I was actually surprised at how easy it was for me to give up ketchup on ground beef. Of course, YMMV, and it helps that last summer I had a garden overflowing with the delicious little bastards . . .

On a side note, *almost* ripe tomatoes and unripe tomatoes - meh - not so ketchuppy.

Colored my original post white. Good for a laugh in this thread if you want to highlight it and read it. Dunno WTF I was thinking.

Yeah. I got nothing.

On beef a mango or papaya salsa - particularly if you add vinegar - would be a nice sweet something, but yeah, it aint Ketchup.
    Last edited by brahnamin; 07-07-2011 at 08:14 AM.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast