Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: anthony colpo on insulin not responsible for fat storage page

Sonnenblume is offline Senior Member

anthony colpo on insulin not responsible for fat storage

Through another thread here on the forum I found this:
    http://anthonycolpo.com/?p=586
    The author claims in a rather detailed article that insulin isn`t bad and that the insulin response triggered by carbs isn`t responsible for fat storage. Also, he shows that protein triggers insulin considerably, sometimes more than starches. As I have just read Gary Taubers "Good Calories, bad Calories" I felt like I had finally understood "how stuff works". Now there are new aspects to consider. Has anyone read this?

Dave01 is offline Junior Member
    Thats interesting. I can tell you for me once I reduced my carbs to 75-100 a day instead of 190 as my diabetic educator wanted I lost 85 lbs and my blood sugars went from the 110s to 70-80s. So I don't believe that protein triggers insulin considerably. I'm no longer on a insulin pump and my labs are great. I am also off all my other medications. My Endo doctor is very happy with me results and told me to continue what I'm doing and forget what my diabetic educator has told me.

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave01 View Post
    So I don't believe that protein triggers insulin considerably.
    But it does. Your experience is further proof that insulin is not the "cause" of fat storage.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I think eating shit is the cause of fat storage, especially when you eat shit in large quantities.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    For an insulin trigger to occur there must be a raise in BG levels first, yes?

Gathwh is offline Senior Member
    Protein both release glucagon and insulin, unlike starch, and does not carry significant calories. It is also very satiating.

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
    For an insulin trigger to occur there must be a raise in BG levels first, yes?
    No. Whey does not raise BG but will cause an insulin trigger.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chima_p View Post
    No. Whey does not raise BG but will cause an insulin trigger.
    Ok, just trying to understand how it works for "normal" people as I'm T1 diabetic and it works differently for me. I can eat quite a lot of protein with minimal raise in BG, so therefore don't have to take any insulin to cover it.

Dave01 is offline Junior Member
    "But it does. Your experience is further proof that insulin is not the "cause" of fat storage" No I didn't proof that insulin is not the "cause" of fat storage. Due to reducing my carbs and increasing my protein my insulin requirement went down and no longer needed insulin injections. With insulin requirment going down and blood sugar statilizing to normal levels and no continued upward insulin spikes I began to loss weight. "For an insulin trigger to occur there must be a raise in BG levels first, yes?" So insulin does cause fat storage to occur.
    All you have to do is look at any diabetic that is over weight and look at what they eat....Carbs and with carbs increased insulin levels.

Sam Cree is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Having been on both low carb and low fat diets, I've noticed that the people promoting them all can quote believable studies to support their positions. For myself, I lost a lot of weight on both low carb and low fat diets, but had cravings and felt like I was dying slowly on the low fat diet, while I felt good on the low carb diet. Mark's PB is actually somewhere between low fat and low carb and I'm generally pretty happy about that, since I don't have cravings at all on the PB, although I have reintroduced certain starches.

Isn't diabetes often cured by cutting back on sugars and starches? That in itself ought to tell us something about insulin and fat storage.

My feeling is that nobody really has all this nailed down yet, but I generally feel good about the PB point of view. I'm also am coming to the conclusion that wheat and sugar/fructose are our main bete noires on the nutrition side.
    Last edited by Sam Cree; 12-09-2010 at 09:28 AM.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast