Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Bother? Any Other Tweaks? page

john_solo is offline Senior Member

Why Bother? Any Other Tweaks?

Shop Now
    Okay, so I know the answer to 'why bother,' but I am really getting frustrated. I've been living Primally, following the PB Fitness and Nutrition for over two months, and have seen just six pounds of movement on the scale. I've adjusted carbs down, adjusted carbs back up, I'm sprinting once a week, LHT twice a week, move slowly the rest of the week, Big Ass Salad's for lunch, meat and vegetables for dinner.

I LOVE the lifestyle, but am wondering if anyone else experienced this kind of slow weightloss? Any other tweaks I could make?

Thanks!

John

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    the PB isn't a crash diet. it's actually not a diet at all...it's a lifestyle. and through your life did you put weight on overnight? probably not, so you can't legitimately expect it to come off over night. it's going to take some time. granted, six pounds over two months isn't exactly a record breaker, but stop paying attention to the scale. do you have more energy? are your clothes a little looser?

in terms of extra tweaks, show us what you're eating on a regular basis, and maybe get a little more specific about your exercise...and we'll see if there are some changes you can make

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    6 lbs in 8 weeks is pretty good. How much do you have/want to lose? Do you have a lot of metabolic derangement/autoimmunity issues you're trying to reverse?

Also agree with primalrob. don't forget the importance of enough sleep, playing/relaxing and minimizing chronic stress (which being chained to the scale often only increases). are you looking/feeling/performing better?
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    6 lbs in 8 weeks IS good. My weight came off at about 1 lb per week. Some weeks were higher, and other weeks I lost none.

Also, consider the scale isn't the only measure of success. You may be losing some fat and gaining some muscle. That will cause the scale to move more slowly. That doesn't mean you're not making progress.

Ditto on getting plenty of sleep and reducing stress. That'll make it go much smoother.

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    truly the main point of following the PB is to improve health. weight loss is a side benefit. I know for so many it's the be-all end-all but I think we need to get over that.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    Also, consider the scale isn't the only measure of success. You may be losing some fat and gaining some muscle.
    +1 Very much THIS.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    6 lbs in 8 weeks IS good. My weight came off at about 1 lb per week. Some weeks were higher, and other weeks I lost none.

Also, consider the scale isn't the only measure of success. You may be losing some fat and gaining some muscle. That will cause the scale to move more slowly. That doesn't mean you're not making progress.

Ditto on getting plenty of sleep and reducing stress. That'll make it go much smoother.
    +100

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    The only way a scale is a useful tool is if you use fat caliper to find your change in BF and LBM. You would then know that over the last 8 weeks you have perhaps gained 5lbs of LBM and lost 11lbs of fat instead of being upset about 6lbs net.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Because 6lbs over 2 months becomes 36lbs after a year and because if you weren't doing this, you might have GAINED 6lbs. I think your expectations are too high and your goal is too immediate. Think longer term on a slow-and-steady basis.

I've been weight-stable since early September, but my body is still redistributing stuff. It's pretty cool when you start paying attention to that aspect rather than the number on the scale.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Canarygirl is offline Senior Member
    I LOVE the lifestyle, but am wondering if anyone else experienced this kind of slow weightloss?
    Me. I started out losing ~.5lb per week for the first 3 months, but then the weight loss stopped and I haven't lost anything more in the past 6 months. I have 20 lbs I still need to lose, too. I have a Tanika bodyfat scale and it has shown a net reduction of 1.5% BF since I started last March. No change in last 6 months in the BF % either.
    I'm a quitter...but I'm back now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast