Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When you IF... page

IntrinsicArt is offline Senior Member

When you IF...

Primal Fuel
    I have been working on not eating after dinner (we usually eat around 5 p.m.) and then eating again at breakfast which is after 7 a.m. I get a good 14 hours without food.

Last Saturday, I had a really late breakfast and then skipped lunch (I had a little bit of coconut oil and milk). I felt good. Went for a walk. Wasn't ravenous by dinner, so I kept my portion reasonable.

Today, I am trying to skip lunch. I had a good breakfast (ham, avocado, olives, and a few slices of peach).

My question is: When you I.F. do you just work through the growly tummy? I'm hungry, but not to the point of going to find anything I can to eat. I feel alert and awake. Just hungry

My plan is to hold out until dinner...if I can...

Rhoda

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    In short, yes.

Make sure though, that you don't just spiral into eating less and less and less. Fasting and eating high fat/primal will help satiety and tune you into when you are actually hungry, but you don't want to just never eat either. I know I'm going extreme with that example, but I like to warn new fasters. It kind of happened to me. Now I make sure I eat big when I'm hungry, and still fast about 14-16 hours daily.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i've been doing IF for a while, so i don't really get hungry anymore. some smells may trigger the sensation of hunger, but that goes away when i'm away from the smell. when i was first starting out, though, i would just work through whatever hunger i had. mostly, what you're going to feel is psychological hunger. if you can take a walk or do some engaging activity, you should push through it just fine

Make sure though, that you don't just spiral into eating less and less and less.
    I noticed this. I have been tracking my meals on "My Plate". The scale (I know, I know...one habit at a time) is stuck!! I wanted to see where my carbs were.
    I am averaging 1200-1300 calories, but I noticed that they were only about 1050 - 1100 on Saturday and Sunday. And, I really haven't brought them up much so far.

some smells may trigger the sensation of hunger, but that goes away when i'm away from the smell.
    LOL. I teach high school art. I walked during my lunch break and when I came back in the building I could smell ALL the food. And then during my next class I could smell it on my kids. My sense of smell has always been good, but I think it is getting stronger!!

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm going to make it and then eat a yummy dinner!!

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    Our bodies get used to eating or not eating at the same times every day. When our bodies are expecting to be fed they release the hormone grehlin and you feel hungry. I think that it helps to get into a routine and I find that personally I have no desire for food before lunch time anymore.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    When I am hungry, I drink water or green tea.

I usually IF from 7 PM to 12 PM. Occasionally, I will skip lunch for a 24 hour fast. Occasionally, on weekends, I will eat breakfast.

Our bodies get used to eating or not eating at the same times every day.
    I notice this a lot working at school. We only have a 30 minute window to eat lunch. On weekends, my body tells me when it is 11:40 a.m. Lunch time! Unless I eat a late breakfast.

When I am hungry, I drink water or green tea.
    I've drank my entire water bottle in the last 3 hours (24 oz.) That helped. I also grabbed a stick of gum around 2:30. That really helped!! I'm over the growling tummy part.
    I feel fine.
    I lived. No emotional damage I'm thinking I will try it once a week. See how it goes...

Thanks for all the input.

Rhoda

ephemeral10jf is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IntrinsicArt View Post
    I have been working on not eating after dinner (we usually eat around 5 p.m.) and then eating again at breakfast which is after 7 a.m. I get a good 14 hours without food.

Last Saturday, I had a really late breakfast and then skipped lunch (I had a little bit of coconut oil and milk). I felt good. Went for a walk. Wasn't ravenous by dinner, so I kept my portion reasonable.

Today, I am trying to skip lunch. I had a good breakfast (ham, avocado, olives, and a few slices of peach).

My question is: When you I.F. do you just work through the growly tummy? I'm hungry, but not to the point of going to find anything I can to eat. I feel alert and awake. Just hungry

My plan is to hold out until dinner...if I can...

Rhoda
    For the first couple of months I began incorporating IFs into my lifestyle, I had to consciously ignore my stomach. However, my body has apparently switched into some other gear, because now I can fast for very long periods of time without any growling or discomfort in my stomach. That's not to say I don't feel hunger after a certain point, but the experience of hunger is quite different.

I apologize if I'm not making any sense. It's an experience that is difficult to describe with words. My advice to you is to set up a "target" fast time, and ignore any hunger pangs you experience during your fast. After a while, I think you'll break through conventional feelings of hunger entirely.

I apologize if I'm not making any sense. It's an experience that is difficult to describe with words. My advice to you is to set up a "target" fast time, and ignore any hunger pangs you experience during your fast. After a while, I think you'll break through conventional feelings of hunger entirely.
    That makes sense. I wondered if that wasn't how the process worked. Most posts about IF state that they feel great while they are doing it, but I wondered if it started out with the hunger and expectation to eat, and then became second nature.

My plan is try them on Wednesday's. They will be my "Walk-Away-Wednesday's".

Before Primal, I never would have attempted this. I was always blurry eyed, fuzzy headed, and blah if I went longer than 3 or 4 hours without a meal. I am going on 8 1/2 hours since my last meal and I am as clear headed and ready to go as ever.

I'm Groking it!!

solovus is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Make sure though, that you don't just spiral into eating less and less and less. Fasting and eating high fat/primal will help satiety and tune you into when you are actually hungry, but you don't want to just never eat either. I know I'm going extreme with that example, but I like to warn new fasters. It kind of happened to me. Now I make sure I eat big when I'm hungry, and still fast about 14-16 hours daily.
    This is so true. It seems so easy to just not eat sometimes that Ive begun regularly skipping an entire meal or two without even realizing it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast