Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diet: How Strict Are You? page

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member

Diet: How Strict Are You?

Shop Now
    I have been very strict for the past 9 months. I was at a birthday party and my crossfit coach had some chocolate cake (from wholefoods). I have a crush on her so it doesn't tarnish that but it was kind of like I just saw Mark Sisson slam three Big Macs. I feel like I can't give an inch (nor do I really want to) in regards to my own diet as I try to improve my body and performance; strict == easy.

I am curious how strict people are with maintaining their Primal/Paleo food regimens so I have a few questions to ask.

1. Are you trying to lose weight, maintain weight or increase weight/muscle?
    2. Do you "cheat" (pizza, Diet Coke, pumpkin pie, sandwiches etc.) ? Spur of the moment or purposefully?
    3. How much alcohol do you drink?
    4. How much coffee do you drink?
    5. Do you eat rice, dairy, beans, white potatoes, peppers, eggplants or legumes?
    6. Do you *want* to eat non-primal/non-paleo foods? Is it hard for you not to?

This isn't a Soap Box post - I am sort of wondering if I have an unhealthy issue with food where other Primes and Paleos seem to embrace the 80% rule.

my answers:

1. Maintain
    2. Twice in 9 months - while on vacation some burgers with bread and a piece of chocolate cake
    3. Not much booze - socially so maybe 5 times a month
    4. No coffee (very sensitive to caffeine)
    5. I stopped eating Dairy this past week to give Paleo a shot - no to everything else.
    6. I have no desire to eat non Primal/Paleo other than occasionally "missing" the food I used to eat like pizza.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    1. Maintain
    2. I don't cheat on the kinda stuff you listed. Just not tempted. I do eat dark chocolate fairly freely, but I don't consider that a cheat really.
    3. Maybe 2-3 glasses of wine a week.
    4. One caffeinated every morning, + caffeinated green tea a couple of times. Rest of day decaf coffee/tea or unsweetened cocoa
    5. I eat peppers pretty freely and potatoes occasionally. Tomatoes all the time. Quit dairy a month ago and (sigh) may need to keep that up. That's been the hardest thing by far.
    6. No, I really don't want non-primal food, with few exceptions. To my utter astonishment! Recently a piece of fresh naan bread tempted me for a second, but the twinge passed quickly and fully.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    (( I’m currently on whole30, so very clean eating, but I will respond as if I was not on it or how I eat most of the time ))

1. Are you trying to lose weight, maintain weight or increase weight/muscle? Primarily trying to shed body fat, but I work towards STRENGTH goals, meaning I’m not actively trying to put on muscle mass since I’m eating at a sensible calorie deficit. In short I guess I’m trying to lose weight.
    2. Do you "cheat" (pizza, Diet Coke, pumpkin pie, sandwiches etc.) ? Spur of the moment or purposefully? I don’t drink sodas. I avoid breads in big concentrations ie pizza, but I will have a burger with the bun on and munch on some fries about once every two weeks. Now that I’m on whole30 I haven’t, and I used to worry about it more than I think I will after finishing whole30. I think in moderation there’s no real reason why I couldn’t eat like that. I like burgers, so when I have them it’s very much on purpose. I’m really good at not giving in to other temptations in my day to day life.
    3. How much alcohol do you drink? I drink rarely. If I’m out and I actually want to get a buzz going I’ll have some drinks. If I’m responsible for driving or whatever I cut myself off at 2 or have none at all. I’m fine in social situations regarding drinking. If there’s some wine around I’ll have a glass for sure.
    4. How much coffee do you drink? A cup in the morning, sometimes another in the afternoon. Typically with some heavy cream, currently just black. Never with any sweetener added
    5. Do you eat rice, dairy, beans, white potatoes, peppers, eggplants or legumes? I try hard to avoid most grains. I don’t avoid nightshades (don’t think I have any sensitivities or issues stemming from eating them) my mom always soaks legumes overnight so I’ll have some if she makes them about once maybe twice a month. I don’t avoid dairy but I only have it in the form of cream and butter which I use mostly for cooking. I’ll have white potatoes sometimes, my culture is big on them, I don’t consider them to be too bad. Another once a month thing if it’s around.
    6. Do you *want* to eat non-primal/non-paleo foods? Is it hard for you not to? It depends on what you’re asking. I luckily had an upbringing that revolved around home-cooked meals and I never knew what it was like to have dinner come out of a box (unless it was noodles) so my transition to primal was mostly about eliminating certain things like white rice, sugars, sodas, white potatoes, etc. I went through a carb “scare” so to speak. I however did have to battle some harmful snacking though. I haven’t snacked in a while and believe now I’m mentally stronger than that, to the point where even slight indulgence won’t lead to a total relapse. I haven’t tested this theory yet. I don’t typically WANT to eat non-paleo and have to FORCE myself to eat paleo. I really love the meals I make (it’s really hard not to love eating meat and vegetables once you learn to cook them right, but it can be a bitch at fist when you have no notion of how to make things taste good) so the temptation isn’t too strong at all.

Sam Cree is offline Senior Member
    1. Are you trying to lose weight, maintain weight or increase weight/muscle? No to all of that, I went on PB for health benefits and because I thought the more random exercise would be better than the cardio stuff I was already doing.

2. Do you "cheat" (pizza, Diet Coke, pumpkin pie, sandwiches etc.) ? Spur of the moment or purposefully? Not often at all, but when I do, I don't worry about it. I ate quite a bit of desserts for Thanksgiving, but won't again any time soon, no big deal, I don't think.

3. How much alcohol do you drink? None, but I think it's OK to drink a little for those who do.

4. How much coffee do you drink? None, but if I liked it, I doubt I'd worry about it.

5. Do you eat rice, dairy, beans, white potatoes, peppers, eggplants or legumes? I eat the first four, not the last two. Not in large quantities, though.

6. Do you *want* to eat non-primal/non-paleo foods? Is it hard for you not to? I only eat them occasionally and I don't crave them, so it's not hard not to.

missnat is offline Junior Member
    1. lose body fat, maybe a couple of pounds
    2. I avoid grains as they play havoc with my digestion, since cutting them out my IBS is disapeared, I don't miss bread as my digestive problems have been a source of misery for years. I have a few squares of dark chocolate now and again
    3. I drink red wine at the weekend, maybe a bottle or so
    4. Still drinking coffee, I like a caffeine hit in the morning
    5. Don't eat rice, beans or potatoes, I still eat peppers though & dairy, just milk in coffee and an occaisional piece of cheese
    6. It is hard just now as I am living away from home so cooking resources are resticted, I try to follow it 80% of the time.

Enamel is offline Senior Member
    I'm not really striving for any of these things, just trying to eat as well as I can most of the time because I have problems with eating. (Binging on food and then vomiting.)
    2. Do you "cheat" (pizza, Diet Coke, pumpkin pie, sandwiches etc.) ? Spur of the moment or purposefully?
    I don't like the term 'cheat', but I don't try to deprive myself of things like dark chocolate and fruit. Sometimes I will indulge in ice cream (I did today because I knew if I kept trying to ignore the craving I'd just end up binging instead of having a normal serving size), but I try to avoid things with too much sugar because the taste can trigger my harmful mindset to take over, and I'll start eating with the intention of vomiting later, so I end up eating as much as I can and not even enjoying the taste at all.
    Barely any, maybe a few drinks a year.
    None, never appealed to me.
    5. Do you eat rice, dairy, beans, white potatoes, peppers, eggplants or legumes?
    I eat butter regularly, and occasionally I'll have cheese or yogurt. I also use ground chipotle pepper whenever I have shrimp, and I wouldn't say no to a jalapeno. Sometimes I'll eat cashews or peanut butter, but I never eat the other stuff on that list.
    When I'm doing well mentally, I pretty much have no desire for things I shouldn't be eating. Even when I'm doing poorly, it's not so much a matter of me actually WANTING the food as it is a matter of me wanting to harm myself.

So yeah, I lovelovelove meat and fat and vegetables, but I also have some food/body-image issues that can cause me to go way off-track even if I don't really desire the food itself. The good thing is that eating 'primally' has been the best way to deal with them.

If you're doing well with your current mindset, I see nothing wrong with it. Some people function great by following strict regimes - the problems come in if you feel stressed because of the way you're making yourself live. As long as you're enjoying life and not feeling stressed/deprived by being so strict about your diet, I think you're probably okay.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFastCat View Post

1. I am maintaining leanness and building muscle (focus on strength rather than size).

2. I "cheat" maybe once a month. It's intentional and pre-meditated, and I don't think of it as "cheating."

3. I drink alcohol (whiskey or red wine), usually only on Tuesday and Friday. 1-3 drinks. No legumes. Rare potatoes (1x/month or less). Frequent nightshades.

4. I drink 4 cups (coffee-maker size cups, that is, not mugs) of coffee daily.

5. Occasional, minimal dairy (butter or cream about 3x/week).

6. I rarely want to eat non-paleo foods. When I do, it's usually a brief, weak "want." If I REALLY want something, I'll have it. (See #2 above.)
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

southernlynn is offline Junior Member
    1. Are you trying to lose weight, maintain weight or increase weight/muscle? I am trying to improve blood glucose management (I have Type 2 diabetes) & triglycerides. I am neither overweight nor obese. I am doing a pretty good job of managing BG, but my lipid panel needs work. I could stand to lose 10-15 pounds of excess fat mass & would like to increase muscle mass.
    2. Do you "cheat" (pizza, Diet Coke, pumpkin pie, sandwiches etc.) ? Spur of the moment or purposefully? Rarely, if at all. If I do it, it is on purpose.
    3. How much alcohol do you drink? Normally, I will drink 2-3 glass of wine or beers a week. Since November 1st, I have been drinking at all because I'm trying to hone in on why I'm having so much trouble getting my trigs into healthy levels. I read that some people are "alcohol rebounders" for whom even small amounts of alcohol affect trig levels. So, I'm being my own lab test.
    4. How much coffee do you drink? Usually 1-2 cups in the morning only. I do drink iced tea, though, always unsweetened, sometimes decaf, sometimes not.
    5. Do you eat rice, dairy, beans, white potatoes, peppers, eggplants or legumes? No rice, white potatoes; some full fat dairy, mostly cheese, occasionally 4% cottage cheese - I do not drink milk at all; peppers & eggplants, yes; legumes, some of them - I eat to my glucometer so I find I can occasionally eat a small portion of black beans, for instance; but, pinto beans or lima beans are out.
    6. Do you *want* to eat non-primal/non-paleo foods? Is it hard for you not to? Just started the primal regime. Having been eating moderately low carb for several years.
    Lynn

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Lose fat, build muscle. I'm trying to get past the numbers on the scale and just get smaller and more dense.

2. Do you "cheat" (pizza, Diet Coke, pumpkin pie, sandwiches etc.)? Spur of the moment or purposefully?
    I don't cheat intentionally, or seek out cheats. It happens occasionally- last night had 4 pieces of sushi. I didn't plan it but I won't stress over it either.

None. I've pretty much lost my liking for alcohol, which leaves me wondering what I'm going to do with my rack full of wine.

Decaff daily. Caffeinated very rarely.

Dairy is limited to butter and rarely cheese. I've learned I don't care for cream and have recently cut that out. No beans. White potatoes are extremely rare. Peppers yes. Eggplant sometimes (don't like it much.) No legumes.

Nah, not really. Sometimes I think I do, then I do it and I regret it. Generally it's not difficult for me to avoid non-Primal foods completely.

anne is offline Member
    1. Are you trying to lose weight, maintain weight or increase weight/muscle? Lose fat, build muscle.

2. Do you "cheat" (pizza, Diet Coke, pumpkin pie, sandwiches etc.)? Spur of the moment or purposefully? Diet coke and sometimes even Red Bull. Trying to get rid of that habit but I have strange working hours at the moment due to working in a different time zone.

3. How much alcohol do you drink? 1-2 glasses per month.

4. How much coffee do you drink? None.

5. Do you eat rice, dairy, beans, white potatoes, peppers, eggplants or legumes? Peppers and eggplants.

6. Do you *want* to eat non-primal/non-paleo foods? Is it hard for you not to? The stricter I am the easier it is so, no, in daily life I don't want to cheat. I'm strict when I go to a restaurant during the week but not on special occasions. When a friend bakes a cake for someone's birthday then I'm definitely going to eat a piece. When I'm visiting a country, I want to taste some of the local dishes and so on. I want to eat healthy but still be alive and for me that is a part of life. I just eat a little less on the next day or do a fast and everything is back to normal.
    Last edited by anne; 12-08-2010 at 11:24 AM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast