Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: treat the flu page

naiadknight is online now Senior Member

treat the flu

Primal Fuel
    I'm sick, I know this much. I'm reasonably certain it's the flu. Whether it's a cold or a flu, antibiotics won't touch it. This is the first time I've gotten the flu EVER, to my knowledge. What do I do?
    I know to rest/ sleep, drink bone broth (which I don't have any, unless you count my homemade beef broth), get lots of vitamins C and D, use a heating pad on the muscle pain, and drink plenty of liquids. I have no real desire to go anywhere (except home from work at lunch and take the rest of the day off), so try to keep your recommendations to stuff I'd likely have at the house. (BTW, DayQuil does funny stuff to me, so I don't take it.)
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    Ugh - sympathies!

I think you've got it covered. Sleep, drink (yes, homemade beef broth 'counts'!), sleep some more, and let your body do its stuff and make that sorry virus wish it had picked an easier target.

Oh, if you have a sore throat and a sage plant (or dried sage), make sage tea. Works about 50x better than any lozenges with polysyllabic ingredients.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    I'm sick, I know this much. I'm reasonably certain it's the flu. Whether it's a cold or a flu, antibiotics won't touch it. This is the first time I've gotten the flu EVER, to my knowledge. What do I do?
    I know to rest/ sleep, drink bone broth (which I don't have any, unless you count my homemade beef broth), get lots of vitamins C and D, use a heating pad on the muscle pain, and drink plenty of liquids. I have no real desire to go anywhere (except home from work at lunch and take the rest of the day off), so try to keep your recommendations to stuff I'd likely have at the house. (BTW, DayQuil does funny stuff to me, so I don't take it.)
    The MAIN question is HOW MUCH Vitamin D are you taking? IMO, you need 10,000 IU daily of D3 Gellcaps and if you had been taking enough vitamin D you would not have gotten the flu in the first place. How much Vitamin D have you been taking? Then after 3 months get a blood test to verify your blood level is optimal at 60-70 ng/ml. See section 19.8 in my research report below for more on Vitamin D. An optimal blood level of vitamin D substantially boosts your immune system.

Get well soon,
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 12-08-2010 at 12:14 PM.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    You could try fasting.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    I'm not a doc or other health care provider
    • Not To Be Construed As Medical Advice (NTBCAMA)
    • consult your hcp
    •take respiratory symptoms seriously...very seriously. Had a friend up in respiratory distress and on a respirator last year during the H1N1 thing. One of R's friends (R of the lab) *died* of complications from H1N1. He fell ill and died in his home within 6-8 of first symptoms.

This is how I treat....

50,000 IU vitamin A (one time)
    50,000 IU vitamin D (one time)
    elderberry syrup - double the frequency of bottle directions
    green tea - continuously (reading: scholarly and popular press)
    green tea extract - several per day
    zinc lozenges (zinc gluconate, no citric acid)
    Natural Factors Anti-V - 2 initially then 1 every two hours

Other good stuff:

bronichitis and essential oil monoterpenes--
    http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=1449883

eucalyptus--
    http://www.resmedjournal.com/article...432-6/abstract
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...4&searchtype=a
    http://thorax.bmj.com/content/49/10/1024.abstract

Here's a flu doc I wrote last year during the H1N1 thing (currently everyone is locked out of this doc but I'm sure google will resolve it soon):
    https://docs.google.com/Edit?docid=0...83NnhxZGd3a2N3

Fortunately, most are experiencing mild flu from 2009 H1N1. However, for those at risk for respiratory complications (including our pregnant friends and family members, those with breathing difficulties including asthma, lung disease, obesity, diabetes) it doesn't matter that 'most' have mild illness. For them, this is not a typical flu. Please practice social distancing for the recommended amount of time if you have symptoms. Please keep your child home if that child has symptoms.

Influenza, including H1N1 is contagious from 1 day prior to onset of symptoms until 7-10 days after onset.

The following is not to be construed as medical advice nor is it intended to take the place of
    your own research
    your own responsibility for your health
    information from your own health care providers
    common sense

What can you do to prevent or treat the flu?

Consider:
    •Anti-Virals if you fall under the CDC recommendations (you have been exposed and are considered high risk) Keep in mind that there is a 50-90% false negtive rate on the rapid flu tests. Yes, 50-90% false negatives. Just b/c you have a negative rapid flu test absolutely positively does not mean you do not have H1N1. Lack of a fever absolutely positively does not mean you are H1N1 free.

Effective treatment:

•Anti-Viral Medication started within 24h (less helpful but still helpful if started later....though rare drug resistant cases have emerged)
    •High Dose Vitamin D3 therapy

Likely Helpful adjuncts to effective treatment - will reduce and/or moderate cytokines or act as ACE inhibitors:
    •Aspirin, Adults only; never children or adolescents (reduces cytokines).
    •Green tea (ACE inhibitor, reduces cytokines). Consider drinking
    daily and/or gargling with it. (scholarly cites and popular press)
    •High dose vitamin C therapy to bowel tolerance. Use cheap ascorbic acid unless you personally need buffered - avoid time released for this usage.
    Effective Prevention:
    •Optimal blood levels of D3 (reduce cytokines)
    •55-65 ng/mL appears to be optimal. it depends on who's writing and when they wrote it. Anything less than 50 ng/mL=substrate deficiency which is a Very Bad Thing for immunity. Our 50-80 ng/mL translates to 150-200 nmoL.
    Moderate levels are correlated, by some data, with increased cytokine activity (20-40 ng/mL). We don't want moderate levels or even 'normal' levels. We want optimal levels in the middle of the 'reference range'.
    •Remember that because of problems with Quest's test, any D result from them should be divided by 1.3 to get an accurate number.

•Optimal vitamin D levels are your very best defense against influenza, some researchers posit that it may be as or more effective than a vaccine.

•Green tea (ACE inhibitor, reduces cytokines).

Drink it or gargle.

•Probiotics. Take daily.

May be helpful adjuncts to effective treatment and/or prevention in addition to above measures:
    •Black tea (ACE inhibitor, reduces cytokines)
    •Quercetin (possible ACE inhibitor, reduces cytokines)
    •Pomegranate (ACE inhibitor)
    •Proanthocyandin containig foods, supplements (ACE inhibitors): grapeseed extract, pinebark extract (pycnogenol)
    •Turmeric (reduces cytokines). 1/4 tsp powder can be placed on tongue and swallowed with water. (this and this)
    •Black pepper (reduces cytokines)
    •Raw crushed garlic (reduces cytokines). For easy dosing, mix with tsp raw honey.
    •Coconut oil (reduces cytokines)
    Echinacea (increases some cytokine activity but overwhelmingly reduces cytokine activity)
    Oscillococinum...as directed on package

Assess carefully:
    Elderberry "Sambucol" or similar (known to increase cytokines - I am avoiding for H1N1)
    •Astragalus (reduces activity of some cytokines, increases activity of other cytokines). I am avoiding for H1N1
    •Olive oil (may increase cytokines). I will continue to use as needed but will use coconut oil for cooking/baking.
    •Fish oil (may increase cytokines). I will continue to take significant amounts.
    •Chocolate (ACE inhibitor but increases cytokines). I will use moderately. And by moderately, I might mean 'daily' or 'as needed'
    Last edited by cillakat; 12-08-2010 at 12:51 PM.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

mayness is offline Senior Member
    Vitamin C is also mentioned in cillakat's post above, but this blog post inspired me to buy some to keep on hand in case I get sick. It's still fairly debatable whether it really works, but there doesn't seem to be anything harmful about high doses of C, and it's so cheap, so why the heck not.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I up my vitamin D & C and put 3 drops of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide in each ear for 2 minutes, once or twice a day. See Dr. Mercola's archives for more on this trick. It works for me every time!

I apologize in advance if I come across as bitchy. I assure you that's it's just the cottonheadedness talking and is not meant in the slightest way to be a personal attack.
    Grizz, I was at 30 ng last time doc checked me (beginning of summer, I think.) I was taking 10-15k IU during the summer and am taking 21k IU now in an effort to get my D levels where they should be. Next D check is next time I have bloodwork, but I have a sneaking suspicion I'm not at an optimal D blood level yet.
    Grumpy- I'm letting my body tell me what it wants. Now that I'm back from a heavy nap (I ate abt an hr before passing out), the thought of food is actually a little nauseating, so I'm staying away from everything but water right now.
    Cillakat- Thankfully, this doesn't seem to have much of a resp edge to it. Heavy post nasal drainage, a bit more sneezythan usual, and a slightly stuffy nose are my only resp symptoms. Given my propensity for turning some mild into a hospital job, i'm really watching those parts of it. I've been drinking green, white, and black hot tea like they're going out of style, gratuitous garlic and black pepper goes in everything I cook, I had one of those horsepills of Vit C (1000 mg from NOW! foods), an extra 5k IU vit D and some echinacea this morning.
    Mayness- I usually get ginormous amts of C through the foods I eat, and this morning I took that horsepill I told Cilla abt.
    Dragonfly, I may try the alcohol trick later.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Dragonfly, I may try the alcohol trick later.
    LOL! ((Hugs))) You are slightly cottonheaded...though alcohol might be what you want to put yourself out of your misery, I highly recommend you use hydrogen peroxide in your ears!

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    LOL! ((Hugs))) You are slightly cottonheaded...though alcohol might be what you want to put yourself out of your misery, I highly recommend you use hydrogen peroxide in your ears!
    Heh. Ooops. Thanks.
    My Primal Battle Tome

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast