Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For the vetern Primals! What to expect for the first winter? page

Metismomma is offline Senior Member

For the vetern Primals! What to expect for the first winter?

Primal Fuel
    I started Primal back at the end of April. This will be my first primal winter. I know there are quite a few of us that started in the summer. No offense to anyone but primal is downright EASY in the summer. Lots of sun, lots of fresh veggies, lots of berries, you can run and play outside in minimal clothing. Winter has hit here a couple weeks ago and some of us are just starting to get winter(lucky bastards)
    Soooo...what should we be expecting? Do a lot of people fall of the wagon? Is it just as easy, harder, the same? Colds/flus/SAD? What to expect there? God knows exercise changes. How about for people just easing into more activity?
    Enthrall us with your experience and wisdom Also tips to make it through.
    Thanks!
    Calm the f**k down.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Nothing changes except the sunlight and how many layers you wear. Don’t let a little cold make you eat things you know you shouldn’t. There is some truth about how light/cold affects what you actually crave to eat, but still, no reason to completely fall off the wagon, that’s extreme.

I started Primal the last week of January, it’s about to be a year for me and it was just getting cold. I still made all the dietary changes that I more or less have kept till today.

Use opportunities such as shoveling to get your exercise in, stuff like that. Hope that helps.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I started right in the middle of winter (mid-February), so I'm curious as to what a fully Primal winter wil be like as well. As a heads- up, MM, my chronic earaches started to taper off when I went Primal, and aside from 2 sick days with those, I think most of the sick days I took then were mental health days. I don't remember getting anything knock down drag out at all last winter, which is unusual for me.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Make sure you are sufficient in Vitamin D and minerals. Even before going Primal, taking D made a HUGE difference for me--no colds/flu/SAD at all last winter. Now, 5.5 weeks Primal, I am not struggling with carb cravings at all.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    This is my 2nd Primal winter. Last year I was sort of a crash course, and this year I'm noticing patterns.

1) I want (and need) to sleep more.

2) Getting enough activity takes more effort. Because it's cold here (26 degrees today) a good indoor routine works for me, though I wish I had a treadmill to trudge on in front of the tv. Shovelling and walking in deep snow are great workouts. If only the cold weren't so uncomfortable- lol.

3) Eats tend more towards meat & eggs. Veggies are heartier- sweet potatoes, winter squash, onions, carrots. Fruit cravings wane. More interested in offal also. Lots of garlic and onions.

4) I'm not really one to get sick... maybe from all the garlic? I stink, but I'm healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    3) Eats tend more towards meat & eggs. Veggies are heartier- sweet potatoes, winter squash, onions, carrots. Fruit cravings wane. More interested in offal also. Lots of garlic and onions.

4) I'm not really one to get sick... maybe from all the garlic? I stink, but I'm healthy.
    I said "f yeah" out loud to both of those.

LOL! Yeah garlic rocks. I notice that I'm started to lean towards more meat even though I have a ton of veggies atm. (I ate a bunch of pork roast for breakfast nomnomnom)
    Calm the f**k down.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    The biggest thing I learned was IT IS NATURAL TO SLEEP A LOT DURING WINTER. Every year prior to Primal, I fought this and always felt guilty that I was a lazy slug because I wanted to sleep. Now I know it is natural/biological. It's in our nature. Permission granted.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Question! So what do you think would be a good "move slow often" and "run really fast once in awhile" options if someone doesn't like to walk outside in the winter(due to ice etc), works in an office, and doesn't have a treadmill or a gym membership? (Not trying to be difficult, just trying to open it up to more ideas)
    Actually, I just realized that this describes my mom.

For me, the move slowly is covered through work. Does jumping jacks and burpees count as a type of sprinting?
    Calm the f**k down.

Yeah burpees and stuff are a good way to get your heart rate up, they don’t replace sprinting but given the conditions they’re a good way to get that type of training in.

Also, shoveling snow. Do it in bursts, a couple of shovels then stop, catch your breath, then go frantic again, so on and so forth, you’ll be nice and wiped out at the end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast