Thread: Help with A1C/insulin levels page

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member

Help with A1C/insulin levels

Primal Fuel
    Recent labs showed A1C of 5.3% and fasting insulin <2. I was trying to find out information on this because I know low insulin is good, but was curious that it didn't give me an actual number, just <2.

I found this and it freaked me out a bit because it appears to be written by a doctor:

There are far too many limitations to diagnose someone. An insulin level of less than 2 uU/mL with an A1C of 5.3% would suggest early type 1 diabetes. The glucose is not consistently elevated until approximately 95% of the beta (insulin producing) cells of the pancreas have been destroyed.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...8103747AAv63Gs

The person asking the question had the exact same blood results as me! I'm a bit freaked out right now. Anyone know anything about this?

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    A1C does seem somewhat high. 5.3% corresponds to an average level of 111: http://www.rajeun.net/HbA1c_glucose.html

Maybe you could get a cheap glucometer and check throughout the day. Fasting glucose may be high (eating low carb causes this), but post-prandial should not be elevated very much. If it is, you know that something needs to change.

I think I will get a glucometer as you suggested.

I, too, thought the A1C was high, as Dr. Bernstein says that's high. My doctor didn't seem concerned about it. I was confused about how low the insulin was, plus the higher A1C. I feel like something isn't right. My doctor said he rarely sees insulin levels that low, but said nothing else about it.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonPA-S View Post
    I think I will get a glucometer as you suggested.

I, too, thought the A1C was high, as Dr. Bernstein says that's high. My doctor didn't seem concerned about it. I was confused about how low the insulin was, plus the higher A1C. I feel like something isn't right. My doctor said he rarely sees insulin levels that low, but said nothing else about it.
    As you indicated in your post, the numbers almost makes it seem as if your pancrease isn't--perhaps--producing sufficient insulin.

Did he do pancreatic enzymes?

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    The reason your result was "<2" probably has to do with the labs measuring capability. Amounts may only be detected starting at 2. Did you have a fasting glucose test done?

I had tests done in late October.My results were Fasting glucose 80, Fasting insulin <2, Hb1Ac 4.7 These number are lower than when tested in 2008, before I began eating low carb/primal-- FGL 98, Fasting insulin 8, HbA1c 4.9.

If you're concerned testing with a meter is a good idea. Walmart has 2 meters that sell for $9. 50 strips will cost $20.

From http://www.mercola.com/nutritionplan/index2.htm
    Facts about Your Fasting Insulin Test:
    This test is profoundly useful. It's one of the least expensive tests in traditional medicine, yet it is one of the most powerful. A normal fasting blood insulin level is below 5, but ideally you'll want to be below 3.

From http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...es-health.aspx
    With insulin levels, the lower the better. I like to see them below 5, but 2 or 3 would be far better. Any fasting insulin level over 10 is a major problem and is a huge risk factor for diabetes.

Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    The reason your result was "<2" probably has to do with the labs measuring capability. Amounts may only be detected starting at 2. Did you have a fasting glucose test done?

I had tests done in late October.My results were Fasting glucose 80, Fasting insulin <2, Hb1Ac 4.7 These number are lower than when tested in 2008, before I began eating low carb/primal-- FGL 98, Fasting insulin 8, HbA1c 4.9.

If you're concerned testing with a meter is a good idea. Walmart has 2 meters that sell for $9. 50 strips will cost $20.

From http://www.mercola.com/nutritionplan/index2.htm
    Facts about Your Fasting Insulin Test:
    This test is profoundly useful. It's one of the least expensive tests in traditional medicine, yet it is one of the most powerful. A normal fasting blood insulin level is below 5, but ideally you'll want to be below 3.

From http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...es-health.aspx
    With insulin levels, the lower the better. I like to see them below 5, but 2 or 3 would be far better. Any fasting insulin level over 10 is a major problem and is a huge risk factor for diabetes.
    Wow, this makes me feel a lot better! I didn't find that info when I was searching.

Thank you so much.

My goal is A1C below 5. We're going to retest in 3 months, so I will see. My last glucose test was 77.

Pancreatic enzymes were normal.

I feel a bit better. I think I will still test my for a little while, though.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Could there be different ranges for the A1C? I ask because I'm hypothyroid, and when my endo does blood work every 4 months, he tests my blood glucose, including A1C. Mine is always 5.2 - 5.5, and he's very happy with that. I just checked the lab ranges on my reports, and 4.0-5.6 is the range given for 'normal.'

Although my fasting BG is always in the mid-90s, when I give blood (during the day), it's always 78-85, and my endo agrees that the high fasting number is from my low carb eating (as I read on Hyperlipid).

There's type 2 diabetes in my family (3 siblings), and so I'm naturally concerned about diabetes. My A1C over the past 3 years has been consistently in the 5.2-5.4 range, and my endo says that's "wonderful" (his term).

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    Could there be different ranges for the A1C? I ask because I'm hypothyroid, and when my endo does blood work every 4 months, he tests my blood glucose, including A1C. Mine is always 5.2 - 5.5, and he's very happy with that. I just checked the lab ranges on my reports, and 4.0-5.6 is the range given for 'normal.'

Although my fasting BG is always in the mid-90s, when I give blood (during the day), it's always 78-85, and my endo agrees that the high fasting number is from my low carb eating (as I read on Hyperlipid).

There's type 2 diabetes in my family (3 siblings), and so I'm naturally concerned about diabetes. My A1C over the past 3 years has been consistently in the 5.2-5.4 range, and my endo says that's "wonderful" (his term).
    I don't really think there's a big lab variance for A1C, but I could be wrong. I think normal for my lab is up to 5.9%, but these number correlate to avg glucose levels (see yodiewan's link above). So avg glucose for 5.3% is 111. I thought that seemed high. I am hypothyroid also, so I don't know if that has something to do with it.