Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have paralysis by analysis – please help! page

cook12345 is offline Junior Member

Question I have paralysis by analysis – please help!

Primal Fuel
    Okay – so this is my first post – and unfortunately, it’s to ask for help. Some history (but not too much) - I’ve been primal-ish for about 18 months…mostly hitting the 80% - average 1400-1600 calories, 50-100 carbs daily. Current stats – 39 yo female, 5’ 2”, 142 lbs. No current meds – I do supplement daily with a probiotic, chelated magnesium (250), potassium (99), and Vitamin D (12,000 IU). I have a sit-down job - and my exercise is limited to 20 minute interval training 5x week. I like to lift (and could definitely be stronger), but I have a ganglian cyst/fluid on my left wrist that has had me out of commission for the last little bit.

Over the last few months, I’ve been exhausted – not tired – but sit-down-on-the-couch-for-15-minutes-and-I’m asleep-exhausted. That combined with bone-chilling cold and some other symptoms made me think my thyroid might be a little wonky. I went to the doctor and had a butt-load of bloodwork done, and now I’m trying to determine what my next step should be. The doc says everything’s in normal range (with the exception of 2) – but one of my concerns is that I’m at the low-end of these normal ranges. My other concern is that it was performed by Quest Diagnostics (which is not great for Vit D – not sure about other tests?) I’ve googled to my heart’s content, but now I’ve read so much – I can’t tell which way is up, and I feel like I'm backtracking. Anyone want to help me figure it out? Here’s my results (ranges in parentheses)

Thyroid panel
    T3 Uptake - 29 - (22-35%)
    T4, Total - 7.8 - (4.5-12.5 mcg/dL)
    Free T4 Index (T7) - 2.3 - (1.4-3.8)
    TSH, 3rd gen - 0.61 - (0.4-4.50 mIU/L)

Lipid panel – my cholesterol rocks – totally happy with it !
    Triglycerides - 30 - (0-149 mg/dL)
    Cholesterol, Total - 198 - (125-200 mg/dL)
    HDL - 71 - (40-999 mg/dL)
    LDL - 113 - (0-129 mg/dL)
    Chol/HDLC Ratio - 2.79 - (0.00-5.00 RATIO)

I also had a comprehensive metabolic panel ran – here are a couple of items from that

Glucose - 90 - (65-99 mg/dL)
    Bun/Creatinine Ratio - 24 - (6-22) – this is high, not sure why?
    Potassium - 4.8 - (3.5-5.3 mmol/L)
    Calcium - 9.8 - (8.6-10.2 mg/dL)
    Protein, Total - 7.2 - (6.2-8.3 g/dL)
    Alkaline Phosphatase - 31 - (33-115 U/L) – this is low, not sure why?
    Vitamin D, 25-OH, D3 - 41 - (30-100 ng/mL) – if Quest is usually high, does this mean mine’s
    even lower than 41? Even with supplementing 12k?

Iron, Total - 102 - (40-175 mcg/dL)
    Iron Binding Capacity - 340 - (250-450 mcg/dL)
    Vitamin B12 - 485 - (200-1100 pg/mL) – this seems low, and could account for my
    tiredness

Okay – I didn’t mean to post all of that (and to think, I left some of it out – I also have a complete CBC panel )

Anyway – any help would be greatly appreciated – thanks so much!

<<listening to crickets>> guess not? My google search continues...

Grizz is offline Banned
    Cook,
    * 1400-1600 calories a day
    * 39 yo female, 5’ 2”, 142 lbs.
    * I’ve been exhausted – not tired
    * bone-chilling cold... hands? feet? all over?
    So the problem is that you are worse than tired, and don't know why?

What is your BP and your resting HR? What is your typical diet, especially breakfast?

1st pass,
    1) I think your calories per day is too low,
    2) I think training 5x a week is too much. You need at least 1 day to rest between workouts.

Best to you,
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 12-09-2010 at 07:17 AM.

Adrianne is offline Senior Member
    I had some of the same tests as you and my creatinine was elevated due to high protein consumption. However, my B12 was "off the charts high" according to my doctor because I was eating so much meat. I also had the same sit down/crash out tiredness that you had and my doctor said it was from too much exercise. She had me take a week off completely and then go back to exercise slowly after that. It has helped a lot.

@Grizz - I guess the problem is that I'm worse than tired, but only for the last few months...I had bloodwork drawn to see if anything jumped out, and now I'm making myself crazy trying to "self-diagnose" - my doc doesn't see a need to do anything, since everything came back normal. The coldness has been a constant since I started - mainly hands and feet - I figured it had to do with dropping the carbs, but then wondered if maybe the carbs were masking an undiagnosed thyroid issue...I just wanted to see if something jumped out at someone else...

Exercising could be the cause...but I was doing the bottom levels of Simplefit until the cyst in my wrist sidelined me. I'd taken some time off to allow the cyst to burst (and then the fluid to go down) and hope to pick up a modified version of the program, because I really liked it. The "worse than tired" didn't start until I'd been off SF a few weeks (I'd considered the fact that the removal of SF was in part the cause - still not sure on that one). I started the sprint intervals a couple of weeks ago - mainly because I have a very sedentary job - and very little time. I get up 20 minutes earlier and hit the elliptical before I get in the shower.

BP's normal - usually 110/70s; resting HR is about 66? I just checked...

Typical diet is coffee in the morning (with 1 T coconut oil and 2-4 T cream), I usually have some nuts and/or fruit mid-morning; then 2 biggish meals for lunch and dinner. Lunch is generally leftover meat (at least 4 oz) and vegetables (usually a cup or more, seasoned with bacon grease or butter), sometimes a salad, sometimes part of a potato - just depends on what's in the fridge. Dinner is the same, only larger portions. I average 1400-1600 calories - some days are high, some a little low - depends on what I've decided to cook that week. FatSecret has my average ratio 60/20/20 (fat/pro/carbs).

Calories are something else I've thought about - I'm constantly busy, but it's not the type of busy that I'd relate to burning calories (getting me/kids/husband out the door for school/work, desk job, cooking dinner, cleaning up, homework, baths, laundry, etc.). So I find it hard to think that I need more calories - especially if I'm using my hunger as a measure. But maybe that's something I can tinker with...

@Adrianne - what was weird is that the BUN and Creatinine came back normal, it's the ratio that was high...I would have thought my B12 would be high, too - but it actually looks a little low -

Thanks so much for your responses - I know being on the low end of the Vit D and B12 scale is something to look at...but I was also looking at secondary hypothyroidism (where the TSH is on the low end, but others are normal) - I think I'll start next week with upping the calories - see where that takes me...

geez - no wonder no one wants to read/answer this post - can I NOT write a book next time?

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Your Total T4 is at 41% of it's range. Your Free T4, as indicated by the results given, is at 38 % of it's range--I've not seen it described with "index (T7)". Many people feel best with numbers at midrange or better. However given your TSH you'd, most likely, be hard pressed to find a doctor that would treat you.

T3 Uptake is an old test and tells you nothing. To see where you are in terms of T3 you need a Free T3 test done.

Tiredness and feeling cold can be indicative of low ferritin. Ferritin is the body's iron stores. It can be low long before a problem with other iron measures, such as your total iron, take place. Low Vitamin D can also be a problem.

Are you getting enough selenium, (200mcg)/day? Not getting enough can impair thyroid function.

Roo
    Roo is offline Member
    My very quick first impressions would be 1) thyroid and 2)B12. Find yourself a naturopath who will give you weekly B12 shots until your energy improves. And try to use iodine and selenium to kickstart your thyroid. The naturopath would also be able to help you with adrenals if you feel that may be a problem.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You don't need to worry about writing a book ... many of us do that.

If you want to try the B12 approach, I'd suggest getting the methyl form of B12 (methylcobalamin, I like the Jarrow brand) and putting a tablet under your tongue till it more or less dissolves. Also make sure that your bedroom is good and dark. If you find that your sleep improves (longer, deeper), then B12 may have been part of your trouble.

Have you tried taking ubiquinol? (It's CoQ10 in an improved form). It is one of the things which I can really tell I'm taking.

I also got a mood boost when I started taking krill oil, just one gelcap a day. I like the NKO (Neptune Krill Oil) brand, put out by Source Naturals, but no doubt others are fine, too. Check the label. It should have 1.5 to 2 milligrams of astaxanthin per gram of oil. I find that krill oil is far more effective than fish oil, and also keeps better. Someone pointed out that it's phosphorylated, while the fish oil is not. Some day it would be nice to find out what that meant.

You want the alkaline phosphatase low! That was the one my dad would watch to see if his cancer was getting worse. (It's high in cancer patients.)

Do you have any way of knowing how your female hormones are? You don't want to be estrogen-dominant. You're a little young for perimenopause, though many women start it even earlier. Sometimes a carefully timed small dose of progesterone cream (you get it at the supermarket, since as a natural product it can't be patented!) will do wonders for energy.

Maybe trading off your workouts and a nice slow ramble outside (every other day) would leave you more rested. For someone very busy, just the time alone can help lower cortisol levels, and so forth.

By the way, that brings up one more thing to try: ashwagandha tincture (vitacost.com carried Herb Pharm brand.) Google it, it's a lot of fun reading everything from the most tight-laced official medical study to mystical Ayurvedic sites with sitar music in the background. Ashwagandha is the "queen of Ayurveda". It's also called "Indian gingseng." Unlike Chinese ginseng (panax), it gives a calm energy which doesn't leave you all riled up. I find it's a very gentle mood-enhancer. Thousands of years in use, millions of people, the only warning I've found about it is that for some people already hot (like having hot flashes) it's a little heating.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast