Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I have paralysis by analysis please help! page 2

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Cook, I find that it's best to be as specific as possible when starting a new thread. You should have put the word "thyroid" in there somewhere to catch the attention of people who know about thyroid issues. Also helps to add tags to the thread (at the bottom of the screen). I just added thyroid and metabolism for you.

Anyway...I'm not a big supplement user, but there's a supp I've used a couple of times in the past that I love: liquid Floridix iron plus herbs: http://www.amazon.com/Salus-Haus-Flo.../dp/B0010EI0CA Costs a small fortune, but one bottle should do ya. The idea is that the plant extracts make the iron very easily absorbable. Did the trick for me; I was bouncing around with energy after a few days.

profdjj is offline Senior Member
    I second the Floradix recommendation. It was the only iron that I could take that didn't make me sick to my stomach and constipated. It comes in liquid and pill form. I buy it at my local organic store.

Grizz is offline Banned
    @DragonMamma
    @Profdjj

I just looked at my multi-vitamin jar and was surprised to see ZERO iron supplements. Another very good reason to eat liver.

Quote Originally Posted by Article
    It used to be called "iron-poor blood," but now we know it as anemia. Whatever you call it, one way to help treat it is to eat foods rich in iron (most doctors recommend taking a supplement, too).To boost the amount of iron in your diet, try these foods:
    * Red meat
    * Egg yolks
    * Dark, leafy greens (spinach, collards)
    * Dried fruit (prunes, raisins)
    * Iron-enriched cereals and grains (check the labels)
    * Mollusks (oysters, clams, scallops)
    * Turkey or chicken giblets
    * Beans, lentils, chick peas and soybeans
    * Liver
    * Artichokes
    And here's a tip: If you eat iron-rich foods along with foods that provide plenty of vitamin C, your body can better absorb the iron.
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/t...ron-rich-foods
    And then there is the related subject of Choline Deficiency & Fatty Liver Disease:
    http://blog.cholesterol-and-health.c...egg-yolks.html

We eat chicken livers with LOTS of onions frequently, and many of the foods in the above list, so we should be OK (fingers crossed).
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 12-10-2010 at 05:46 AM.

Grizz is offline Banned
    This article is fascinating.
    Quote Originally Posted by article
    The symptoms of iron deficiency are:
    - Lack of energy, feeling tired and weakness.
    - Pale skin on the lining of the eyes, the inner mouth, gums and the nails.
    - Rapid and forceful heart beat.
    - Low blood pressure with position change, from sitting to standing up.
    - Finger nails become thin, brittle and white. They may grow abnormally and get a spoon-shaped appearance.
    - Severe menstrual pain and bleeding.
    - Tongue may become sore, smooth, shiny and reddened.
    - Decreased appetite especially in children.
    - Headache - frontal-
    - Shortness of breath during exercise. (even during a simple exercise like walking)
    - Brittle hair.
    - Reduction in immunity and increased vulnerability to infection.
    - A strong desire to eat nonfoods such as ice, paint or dirt. A condition called pica.
    - Disturbed sleep.
    - Abdominal pain.
    http://www.essortment.com/all/irondeficiency_rchi.htm
    Grizz

cook12345 is offline Junior Member
    @dragonmamma - thanks so much for the tags...I guess I was so busy trying to not write a book (and ended up doing it anyway)...anyways - thanks to everyone for their responses, lots of good information and things to consider

@Dragonfly - I'd thought about adrenals, but I associated suppressed immune system with adrenal problems (of course, I may be wrong). My immune system is pretty good - nothing more than sniffles for the past 18 months. The test for adrenals is a saliva test, right?

@marcadav - should the Free T3 be something I need to ask for? Given the other test results (and my ranges) - seems like it's just a little under. I don't know how much selenium I'm getting in my diet - it would mainly be from animal products (with some seafood)...so selenium could be another avenue to try.

I was wondering why ferritin wasn't listed on my lab results - I googled, and it looks as though the "iron binding capacity" means iron storage - my level is 340 (with a range of 250-450). The higher the level, the lower the stores. I've had anemia issues with all three of my pregnancies - especially my last (5 years ago) - there wasn't a steak within 20 feet of me that was safe

@Roo - I did try one bottle of iodine (after reading about iodine deficiency on MDA, I think) a while back - I can't say I noticed a difference. Do I need to take selenium with it? B12 shots are definitely something to look into (I'd love to find a naturopath, as well - so two birds, one stone).

@piano-doctor-lady - I will keep the B12 in mind (and the ubiquinol) - I currently take CLO 2-4 times a week (when I can remember) - when that runs out I may have to switch to krill oil (I get so confused on which is better). Thanks for the heads up on the alkaline phosphatase - I'd never heard of it, but good to know I'm doing something right there! Will definitely do some research on Ashwagandha - sounds fascinating...

I had my female hormones tested a couple of years ago - surprise, surprise - they were normal. I didn't think to get the actual lab results, so I'm not sure where I fell. I can have them tested again at my next annual exam (in a couple of months).

I actually switched my sprint interval out this morning for a less intense routine. A bit faster than a ramble, but still less intense than the intervals. That will work well - sprints MWF, rambles TTh. And then if I get out for a walk, it's a bonus!

A couple mentions of Floradix - I've got it in my shopping cart as we speak. I hated the iron supplements my docs had me take when I was pregnant, hopefully this will be easier to "stomach".

@Grizz - still trying to muster up the nerve to eat liver...and figure out how to talk my fam into eating it (I'm primal, they're not - but I'm working on it). I have a couple of the iron deficiency symptoms you listed (including the headache - I thought it might be stress, but I guess it could be stress coupled with iron deficiency)...

Stress is another thing that could be a factor. I'm a pretty high strung, type-A personality. I thrive on deadlines & schedules - that thriving might actually be me floundering...something I know I need to change, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Again - thanks so much for your responses...you've definitely given me food for thought...

cook12345 is offline Junior Member
    and of course, one more thing...

Vit D - my level was 41 (and it's Quest, so if I remember cillakat correctly, I divide it by 1.3? So it's actually 31.5?) I have supplemented 12,000 IUs daily to this point, and am now increasing to at least 20,000. Vit D deficiency can definitely play a part in this, right?

Should I have another test (non-Quest)? If not now, how soon should I test again?

Thanks!

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cook
    still trying to muster up the nerve to eat liver...and figure out how to talk my fam into eating it (I'm primal, they're not - but I'm working on it). I have a couple of the iron deficiency symptoms you listed (including the headache - I thought it might be stress, but I guess it could be stress coupled with iron deficiency)...
    Try Chicken Livers fried in Coconut Oil ( or bacon grease) with 2 whole onions. I used to hate livers but now with a LOT of onions, they are truly delicious. Now lately we are also adding scrambled eggs with spinach to the livers/onions and this mix is the BEST EVER. This combines 3 major sources of iron
    Livers + Egg Yolks + Spinach

Best to everyone's health,
    Grizz

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cook12345 View Post

Vit D - my level was 41 (and it's Quest, so if I remember cillakat correctly, I divide it by 1.3? So it's actually 31.5?) I have supplemented 12,000 IUs daily to this point, and am now increasing to at least 20,000. Vit D deficiency can definitely play a part in this, right?
    Should I have another test (non-Quest)? If not now, how soon should I test again?
    Thanks!
    Cillikat was correct.... Divide the Quest reading by 1.3 to arrive at the real level. She is our resident expert and all of us learn a great deal from her work.

Reputable doctors I follow recommend the following Vitamin D tests:
    * Home Test Kits, 25(OH)D Blood Level should be 60-70 ng/ml
    ZrtLabs at home testing kit $65
    http://www.zrtlab.com/vitamindcouncil/
    Lab Corp Testing at nearby lab $50
    http://www.saveonlabs.com/products/V...2dHydroxy.html

* My favorite Vitamin Shops for 5,000 IU D3 Gelltabs:
    http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...367&aid=332800
    http://www.swansonvitamins.com/NWF182/ItemDetail

It is recommended to let vitamin D accumulate for 2 to 3 months before taking your blood test. This is because each body system "fills up" with vitamin D in sequence. You immune system gets top priority, then your intestines, then your organs then your fat cells.
    20,000 IU Vitamin D3 is no where near overdose.
    * D Council: Toxicicity overdose > 40,000 IU Daily
    http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/vitaminDToxicity.shtml
    http://www.easy-immune-health.com/Ov...Vitamin-D.html

Best to you,
    Grizz

lcme is offline Senior Member

Thanks!

If you want a response from her on it. Try posting your Vit D results and current supplement regime in the Vitamin D thread...

I'm sure that there is more to it that just increasing your supplementation. I bet that there is an issue with other vitamins or minerals that she can suggest.

Jomp is offline Junior Member
    Stress is another thing that could be a factor. I'm a pretty high strung, type-A personality. I thrive on deadlines & schedules - that thriving might actually be me floundering...something I know I need to change, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
    I was just to point this out. If you eat a normal varied mostly primal diet I would not look into nutrition first. Stress, sleep and mental attitude have a huge impact on energy levels.

I'd try something along the line of this for a couple of weeks.
    1. Stop your current training and try to get out walking a lot instead (should be made possible by 4).
    2. Up the fat a bit. Don't count calories! Eat food that you like and you know is good for you.
    3. Try improve your sleep. Get as much sleep in before 24:00 as possible
    4. Kick back on all the agendas. Type A:s tend to have a lot on em
    5. Have some good clean fun. Make an effort of really trying to enjoy life and have fun EVERY DAY.

For me the Primal WOL is about relaxing. Just letting go of the controlling part of me that tries to over analyze the way I eat and train.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast