Thread: Something I'm Still Unsure About: Sodium page

Rivvin is offline Senior Member

Something I'm Still Unsure About: Sodium

I've been taught all my life to stay away from sodium. I've also been taught through paleo/primal eating to stay away from sodium. Unfortunately none of my research is telling me what is an okay amount to consume. I put my numbers into livestrong today as I do once a month just to see how I'm doing, and this is what I came up with:

Apparently my sausage and applegate farms hotdots were pretty damn high in sodium today. My question is... would this be a dangerous level of salt for a healthy, very athletic individual? How can I determine what I -should- be aiming for?

Also, notice how low my carbs are, hence my other thread about starchy carb sources

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Depends on your magnesium and potassium levels, IIRC. You want your potassium levels to be abt twice your sodium levels and I forget what ratio you want with magnesium. I'm wanting to say 4:1, sodium: Mg, but I'm not sure on that. I would preach to you abt making you have enough liquids to process the salt, but I figure you've got that one covered already.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ah thats perfect, I did not know this about potassium and salt. I will put all this into fitday to track my actual potassium levels... thanks!