Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starchy Carb Sources page

Rivvin is offline Senior Member

Starchy Carb Sources

Primal Fuel
    I need some help finding sources of good carbs. I keep reading this over and over: "Oh if you are an athlete and need carbs, just eat sweet potatoes and bananas!". Then the next post says, "Don't eat fruit, focus on starches!" So basically the only starches I ever see are sweet potatoes and bananas... the latter of which apparently is not that great and should be avoided.

This leaves only sweet potatoes and I am sick of them. I have been eating one with my lunch daily now for a few weeks and I am bored to tears with them. What other good starchy carb sources are there that I can use to fuel my athletic endeavors? I can feel myself suffering during intense WoDs when my carbs are too low but I am having a hard time forcing myself to keep eating these goddamn tubers.

Please understand: I don't want to debate exercise habits or try to become a "fat-adapted" athlete. If you want to discuss that go to another thread... this is purely about good carb sources.

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    Do you eat any white rice?

Oh yeah, I found this:
    This isn't necessarily about Paleo, but Robb Wolf is incorrect that starch replenishes glycogen better/more quickly than fructose. Fructose has no regulating steps for glycogen synthesis, while glucose from starch does. Because of that, fructose goes directly into the liver and is used directly for glycogen synthesis. Glucose, however, is limited by the enzyme hexokinase, which lets glucose into cells. That's why the HFCS in gatorade is actually beneficial for those endurance athletes during exercise. Many, many elite CrossFitters consume sugar or sugar sweetened beverages after an exercise because of this (i.e. chocolate milk, sports drinks). For me, I tend to drink juice, then drink milk, then eat my breakfast after a workout.
    This guy makes it sound like fruit is actually okay for hardcore athletes which goes against everything I've read on these forums... is there any merit to this? I am desperate for new carb sources here.

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatMe216 View Post
    Do you eat any white rice?
    No, but I have been considering re-introducing it. I had heard on a Robb Wolf podcast that rice, even though it is non-glutenous, can still cause gluten like reactions in many people. I am not averse to giving it a shot again.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Parsnips. Turnips. Jicama. Daikon. Lotus root. rutabaga. Jerusalem artichoke. water chestnuts. There's another one that I see at the market all the time and I've forgotten the name.
    Last edited by naiadknight; 12-08-2010 at 07:28 AM.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    Check out Anthony Colpo. He has some good info on diet and athletes and is completely against grain consumption.

Wow, Anythony Colpo's site is fantastic, thank you for pointing this out! I will definitely be checking out one of his books.

Also, I had not thought about parsnips and turnips... I thought they were pretty damn low carb which was why I see them used to make dishes on low-carb forums. I do like turnips quite a bit though.

I don't think the carb levels are as high for those as they are for sweet potatos and white rice, but it's at least more carbs than standard primal veggies.
    ETA: a large turnip has 12 g, a c of parsnip slices has 24 g, 1 lotus root has 20 g. It's not as high, but it's still a decent amt.
    Last edited by naiadknight; 12-08-2010 at 07:48 AM.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    I don't think the carb levels are as high for those as they are for sweet potatos and white rice, but it's at least more carbs than standard primal veggies.
    Thats a very good point. You are an awesome cook, do you have any recommendations on easy ways to quickly prepare foods like turnips and parsnips before I start doing google-fu?

Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    Thats a very good point. You are an awesome cook, do you have any recommendations on easy ways to quickly prepare foods like turnips and parsnips before I start doing google-fu?
    *Blush* I didn't think I was THAT good...
    Turnips and parnips are my go to potato replacement in stews. You can also mash them, like you would white potatos. Following that logic, I'd be willing to bet you could just bake them and eat like a white potato, but I've never tried that one. Never tried to make fries of either one, either. Hashbrowning them MIGHT work, but they may not be gluey enough to hold together.
    My Primal Battle Tome

jasonph is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I, for what it's worth, will hit the banana after a workout

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast