Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Elusive Free-Standing Handstand page

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member

The Elusive Free-Standing Handstand

Primal Fuel
    I just made a new blog post about free-standing handstands, inspired by my fellow MDA board members (thanks you guys!).

Hope this is helpful - I look forward to your feedback!

-Al
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Good stuff once again Al! I work at handstands almost daily and my push-off-the-wall record is about 5-6 seconds and haven’t gotten it again. I’m learning how to kick up without hitting the wall (or at least not hitting it too hard) which is helping a lot. Also, I’ve found that working at handstand push-ups is helping not just in developing strength but also balance, I find that when I’m pressing I’m usually in a free standing handstand until I get to the top then lose it either by over or under balancing, usually under balancing.

It’s tough for me to put more weight on the front of my hands, I’m still putting most of it on the heel of the hand which leads to under tipping. I’m working on that by getting in pushup position then leaning forward as much as I can. I feel a pretty good stretch in my forearm.

However, I think all the pre-req work can’t compare to just kicking up over and over and over and over and working at it day in and day out. It’ll develop strength and balance at the same time.

Great article!

critta is offline Senior Member
    Good post Al!

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    Nice one Al, I was just thinking this morning that I need to do more handstands.

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    This is something I have been working on for the past 6 months. I am able to do 3 full HSPU's against a wall at this point but I still have trouble with freestanding handstands. I have found that my technique has changed since my form has improved and my strength has increased. I used to kick off pretty hard to get up into the handstand. Now I raise one leg up and only have to do a slight push with the other leg. I am able to save handstands also that was impossible for me to do before. Handstands are a great exercise thanks for the write up Al.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    This website is helpful for inspiring hand-balancers as well as Al's: http://www.lostartofhandbalancing.com/

Talks about how being inverted helps with your spine and other stuff like that. Interesting stuff.

jasonph is offline Senior Member
    a few summers ago, i went outside and just started kicking up. within 4 months, i was able to do a handstand on a chair, a normal handstand, and about 3 HSPUs unbroken. this winter, i'm hitting 'em against a wall pretty hard so that when summer comes, i'm ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Good stuff once again Al! I work at handstands almost daily and my push-off-the-wall record is about 5-6 seconds and havenít gotten it again. Iím learning how to kick up without hitting the wall (or at least not hitting it too hard) which is helping a lot. Also, Iíve found that working at handstand push-ups is helping not just in developing strength but also balance, I find that when Iím pressing Iím usually in a free standing handstand until I get to the top then lose it either by over or under balancing, usually under balancing.

Itís tough for me to put more weight on the front of my hands, Iím still putting most of it on the heel of the hand which leads to under tipping. Iím working on that by getting in pushup position then leaning forward as much as I can. I feel a pretty good stretch in my forearm.

However, I think all the pre-req work canít compare to just kicking up over and over and over and over and working at it day in and day out. Itíll develop strength and balance at the same time.

Great article!
    Thanks! I agree that there is no substitute for lots of practice. Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by critta View Post
    Good post Al!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fist View Post
    Nice one Al, I was just thinking this morning that I need to do more handstands.
    Thanks! I have that same thought just about every morning.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyAl View Post
    This is something I have been working on for the past 6 months. I am able to do 3 full HSPU's against a wall at this point but I still have trouble with freestanding handstands. I have found that my technique has changed since my form has improved and my strength has increased. I used to kick off pretty hard to get up into the handstand. Now I raise one leg up and only have to do a slight push with the other leg. I am able to save handstands also that was impossible for me to do before. Handstands are a great exercise thanks for the write up Al.
    Thanks! It sounds like you're making good progress. You must have good flexibility to get up like that as well!

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    This website is helpful for inspiring hand-balancers as well as Al's: http://www.lostartofhandbalancing.com/

Talks about how being inverted helps with your spine and other stuff like that. Interesting stuff.
    Yes I have seen that site and I agree that they have some good tips!

Quote Originally Posted by jasonph View Post
    a few summers ago, i went outside and just started kicking up. within 4 months, i was able to do a handstand on a chair, a normal handstand, and about 3 HSPUs unbroken. this winter, i'm hitting 'em against a wall pretty hard so that when summer comes, i'm ready to go.
    Nice progress! Best of luck getting back on track!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

coldwater is offline Member
    nice blog post al!

i've been doing capoeira angola for quite a few years now, and hand stand is a must of course, and all sorts of them. i'm really glad people see it as a good exercise 'cause it really is very effective and really easy to learn, with a little help from the wall :)

keep it up!

btw, if you check some good capoeira angola videos, i'm sure you'll see more good bodyweight exercise ideas :)

Thanks, Coldwater! I have seen a lot of capoeira over the years and it is definitely a cool form of bodyweight training. If I understand correctly, the handstand in capoeira is done a bit differently than the way I do them because you have to keep your eyes on your opponent. Some of those guys do some sick one-handed handstands too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast