Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Not why you think: gluten free lollies page

Mog
    Mog is offline Senior Member

Help! Not why you think: gluten free lollies

Shop Now
    Hi

I have a close friend whose 6 year old daughter is plagued by serious allergies. Poor kid is allergic to pretty much everything and has serious anaphylactic reactions - apart from the obvious issues with food (tho she is essentially primal lucky thing - food is meat veg and rice), she can't play with crafts at school (glue has gluten and enough to induce a reaction), she has to sit on separate mat at school in case other kiddies have smeared allergy containing substances on floor, misses all the treats other kids eat as contents unknown. This kid had to leave a wedding because the smell of satay sauce made her throat close. Poor kid.

Anyway, her mum just told me that ALL she wants from Santa is snakes and jelly babies (as in the lollies). I think she remembers them before she developed allergies at age 2ish. Doesn't that break your heart? It breaks mine.

anyway, so I wondered if groks who dabble in frankenfood, can suggest somewhere to buy gluten free lollies. Yeah, I know we avoid sugar, but maybe one of you is trying to sneakily convert your kids??

any suggestions welcome, I just have to try help search for this xmas wish!! and thanks, Mog

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member
    That is such a sad story, poor kid; I can relate as I too am allergic to pretty much everything artificial, albeit not to the same degree I just get hives and even those have started to abate through the years. Hopefully you can find what you are looking for.
    My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

Mog
    Mog is offline Senior Member
    Thanks...me too. Come on Santa!!

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    Oh, that is really sad. I get my kids something like these from Trader Joes. No artificial dyes or flavors. They love them and I had one once, they taste like regular lollipops I hope she can have them.
    http://www.amazon.com/YummyEarth-Lol...1816541&sr=8-1

Adrianne is offline Senior Member
    I really like this company's candy: www.sees.com for which I found this list: http://specialchildren.about.com/gi/...nfo_062609.pdf

I am not sure if they ship internationally.

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    This may be way too much effort. You CAN make your own lollipops though. Sugar, water, and fruit juice for flavoring. If worst comes to worst...
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

superjenni is offline Member
    I agree with Katie. All the yummy earth products taste great. One of my best friends (who actually recently moved to Australia for school) always had the giant containers of them. I think they make gummies and other types of candy too.

http://yummyearth.com/

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie82 View Post
    Oh, that is really sad. I get my kids something like these from Trader Joes. No artificial dyes or flavors. They love them and I had one once, they taste like regular lollipops I hope she can have them.
    http://www.amazon.com/YummyEarth-Lol...1816541&sr=8-1
    I think these are the ones we get from Trader Joe's too (TJ's labeling of course). They're good.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    If your friend hasn't already, she may want to have her daughter's vitamin D levels checked & then supplement to sufficiency, if needed. Most of my allergies disappeared after 9 months of supplementing.

aktres is offline Senior Member
    Here's a recipe for gummy worms. Not sure how you would substitute the corn syrup though.

http://candy.about.com/od/gumgelatin...gummyworms.htm

This recipe makes dual-flavored orange and raspberry worms. You can substitute other juices to change the flavors, or make a double batch with a single flavor.
    Ingredients:
    12 tbsp sugar, separated
    2/3 cup raspberry juice (see note)
    2/3 cup orange juice
    8 tbsp corn syrup, separated
    8 tbsp unflavored gelatin, separated
    Food coloring, optional
    Preparation:
    1. Prepare an 8x8 inch pan by wetting it lightly with water.

2. Place 4 tbsp gelatin in cup cold water to soften for about 5 minutes.

3. Place the raspberry juice, 6 tbsp sugar and 4 tbsp corn syrup in a medium saucepan over medium heat and stir until sugar dissolves.

5. Stir in the gelatin and continue stirring until gelatin dissolves.

6. At this point add food coloring if desired.

7. Pour into prepared pan and leave until completely set, 4-6 hours at room temperature or 1 hour in the refrigerator.

8. Repeat procedure with orange juice: place 4 tbsp gelatin in cup cold water to soften for about 5 minutes.

9. Place the orange juice, 6 tbsp sugar and 4 tbsp corn syrup in a medium saucepan over medium heat and stir until sugar dissolves.

10. Stir in the gelatin and continue stirring until gelatin dissolves.

11. At this point add food coloring if desired. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes in pan.

12. Pour over raspberry layer and leave until completely set, 4-6 hours at room temperature or 1 hour in the refrigerator.

13. When set, turn out of pan and cut with a sharp knife into long, thin strips to resemble worms.

Note: Raspberry juice can be obtained from boiling fresh or frozen raspberries over medium heat. Place 1.5 cups of berries in a small saucepan and heat, stirring occasionally, until they are very liquidy. Pour through a strainer, reserving juice, and press fruit against the strainer to squeeze out all the juice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast