Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: For those of us who need more carbs!! page

Satori75 is offline Member

For those of us who need more carbs!!

Primal Fuel
    Hello all!

I am a 35 year old guy, who has been on the paleo/primal lifestyle for about 9 months..... I never quite felt satisfied after meals, and always felt and knew that my body just needed more carbs.. I am very active, workout often, doing circuit training 3 days per week, with an hour of slow cardio on the other days, and also 20 minutes of cardio after my 40 minute circuit....

I keep protein and fat as my stable, but feel much better adding a little oats into my smoothies, and adding a potato or yam with dinner... My question is that if I am having a steak or salmon with my yam and potato, is it nescesary to add butter to it to slow down the sugar response, or is the fat in the steak and salmon enough? Just don't want to over do the calories... Thanks!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i don't know, honestly. i tend to add more fat if i'm not feeling satisfied, and that tends to take care of it.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Maybe you weren't satisfied after meals because you're having too little fat. Cardio isn't primal either. You may be paleo but you don't sound primal
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

racingsnake is offline Senior Member
    If you're fit and healthy, I wouldn't worry too much about the sugar response, but I don't eat carbs without fat just because they're rubbish without fat Have you tried profiling what you eat in FitDay to check you're getting enough fat? If you're not feeling satiated, try sitting down and eating a pound of roasted pork belly with brocolli soaked in butter - see if that helps

jasonph is offline Senior Member
    you're training sooooooooo much.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori75 View Post
    Hello all!

I am a 35 year old guy, who has been on the paleo/primal lifestyle for about 9 months..... I never quite felt satisfied after meals, and always felt and knew that my body just needed more carbs.. I am very active, workout often, doing circuit training 3 days per week, with an hour of slow cardio on the other days, and also 20 minutes of cardio after my 40 minute circuit....

I keep protein and fat as my stable, but feel much better adding a little oats into my smoothies, and adding a potato or yam with dinner... My question is that if I am having a steak or salmon with my yam and potato, is it nescesary to add butter to it to slow down the sugar response, or is the fat in the steak and salmon enough? Just don't want to over do the calories... Thanks!
    Interesting question. I'm not really sure. I would add them for taste and if you're training as you are I wouldn't consider 100cals from butter to be too much.

I would ease up on oats, too high in anti-nutrients, keep your potatoes, yams, berries, other tubers, squash, etc.

In another thread somebody mentioned Anthony Colpo. I literally just started reading his site www.anthonycolpo.com and already finding useful information. He's basically a paleo athlete that consumes very primal carbs and is trying to put to rest the theory that low-carb and high level activity can co-exist. I've experienced that it's hard to exercise and be low carb at the same time, I mean exercise that is more demanding such as what you're doing.

I do think you're probably doing way too much cardio, hit the weights and drop a couple of cardio days. Are you doing cardio in an effort to lose weight? it sounds like it since you're worried about calories. Hit the weights, and keep your diet clean, abs come easier from proper nutrition than running yourself to the ground.

Sam Cree is offline Senior Member
    I'm a 62 year old guy and I don't train as much as you do, but I do train. I've reintroduced some starchy carbs, in the form of white rice and potatoes, into my diet to help with energy levels and to keep from losing more weight than I meant to. Mark has recently blogged that these are OK if you don't do them too much, so I think it's fine and maybe necessary if you're working out, or physically very active.

AntonG is offline Senior Member
    i train almost 7 days a week and one thing that helps is red potatoes. theres no gluten and they are alkaline. hard workouts will deplete glycogen and theres just isnt enough complex carbs in strictly paleo diet to replenish the glycogen. i boil them and mash them with tons of butter and it comes out great.

Satori75 is offline Member
    Thanks for all of the responses.... It seems that no matter how much fat I had, I am still hunger, I will start adding butter to my yams and potatoes to nullify the sugar response... Maybe, I am just working out too much as well... Its possible that if I just cut back on the cardio, as some of you suggested, that I may not even need the carbs that I'm needing now..... I do however always feel better with some yam or potatoe.... Mark said white rice is ok????

Sam Cree is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well, as a lifelong jogger, I think that cardio exercise definitely gives us a carb craving. I also think running is hard to do without carbs in the diet.

Yeah, I think if you look back in his blog, you'll see a fairly recent article in which Mark backed off on his rice position a little and gave a qualified OK for eating it, if not an enthusiastic one.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast