Thread: perfect health diet pregnancy and protein restriction in pregnancy?? page

Sonnenblume is offline Senior Member

perfect health diet pregnancy and protein restriction in pregnancy??

Primal Fuel
    I have just found that article on the "Perfect-Health-Diet" homepage: http://perfecthealthdiet.com/?cat=46
    I am not pregnant at the moment but as we are planning on trying for a second child sometime next year I am already interested again in everything pregnancy- related. The article recommends that pregnant women should restrict their protein intake to under 10% of their calorie intake. From what I have learned before (and this is an aspect where conventional wisdom and primal lifestyle seem to agree) that pregnant women need a significant amount of protein. Pregnant women who do not eat adequate amounts of it seem to be at much greater risk to develop pre-eclamsia and severe swelling and, most dangerous of all, it seems to put you at risk for poor placental growth. Protein`s jog is to hold water and salt inside the bloodstream, right where they should be, so that fluid does not leak into the tissue...It seems plausible to me...I am not at all talking about excessive intake but from my last pregnancy I remember that I felt much more appealed by protein-rich food than ever and I didn`t experience any swelling whatsoever...But now I am confused...What would you do if you where pregnant or what would you recommend to your pregnant spouse? I can imagine that the liver cannot handle excessive protein but I am talking about staying around 15%...

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    why are you confused?

it's one opinion. there is more evidence to the contrary than this one article/web page. and seriously, i didn't even worry about my diet when pregnant. i ate when hungry, ate whole foods, and ate what my body wanted. that was that.

listen to yourself. simple as that.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    why are you confused?

it's one opinion. there is more evidence to the contrary than this one article/web page. and seriously, i didn't even worry about my diet when pregnant. i ate when hungry, ate whole foods, and ate what my body wanted. that was that.

listen to yourself. simple as that.
    +100000000 Your body knows what it needs. Def make sure your vitamin D & mineral levels are sufficient.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    In spite of excessive weight gain in moms and overly large infants, Brewer's diet (mostly) works because it's whole foods, not necessarily b/c of protein content.

20ish% seems reasonable. More than 30% is likely excessive. Sufficient, good quality fat is certainly a requirement as are optimal micronutrient densities. It does seem prudent to eat some starches daily in order to reduce the workload on the liver.

ETA: I think Paul is right on with this recommendation as he seems to be with most things

K
    Last edited by cillakat; 10-17-2011 at 03:46 PM.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

earthspirit is offline Senior Member
    Never have I heard anything about restricting protein while pregnant. Even my doc is fully on board with my primal diet. She seems to care less about my lack of consumption of anything grainy or my saturated fat intake. I think I struck gold with her. She even suggested that in weeks 32 onward I start drinking red raspberry leaf tea and to start increasing intake of vitD to at least 5000iu daily as well as Biotin right away before I get my GD test (which I'm getting early next week). I have never heard of anyone but maybe a midwife suggesting all natural supplementation during pregnancy. Then again I think I came across as the "I want everything all natural" girl.

Sonnenblume is offline Senior Member
    I continued researching the subject and found the following which seems to support that a higher protein intake in pregnancy is helpful:
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1123111459.htm
    http://www.naturalchildbirth.org/nat...utrition05.htm

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnenblume View Post
    I continued researching the subject and found the following which seems to support that a higher protein intake in pregnancy is helpful:
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1123111459.htm
    http://www.naturalchildbirth.org/nat...utrition05.htm
    Not very good studies to support your statement. One was done with mice, not humans and the other was done in 1935 on a small number of women who were also given vitamin injections along with the very high protein.

I'm with Cillakat on this one. Pregnant moms need sufficient nutrients but not excessive protein.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 01-01-2011 at 09:44 AM.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    maybe it's a throwback to the days when doctors used to recommend that women not gain more than 10-15lbs?

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Not very good studies to support your statement. One was done with mice, not humans and the other was done in 1935 on a small number of women who were also given vitamin injections along with the very high protein.

I'm with Cillakat on this one. Pregnant moms need sufficient nutrients but not excessive protein.
    sufficient nutrients and sufficient protein. and not excessive protein. just clarifying.

[ETA: my position has shifted. I think Jaminet is right on]

Having said that, I do also believe fully that excessive weight gain is *very* bad. It seems that much of the support for gaining 25-35 lbs is based on the fact that with crappy nutritionally bereft foods, we have to eat excessively (and gain weight excessively) to meet nutrient requirements. 20 lbs weight gain should be enough for just about everyone if foods are nutritionally dense, biologically appropriate and coming from the *whole* animal (not just the muscles).

K
    Last edited by cillakat; 10-17-2011 at 03:47 PM.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    sufficient nutrients and sufficient protein. and not excessive protein. just clarifying.

I've read all of his protein/pregnancy cites and am still unimpressed with his reasoning.

Excessive is bad to be sure, but no cited studies indicate that 20% cals from protein indicate excessive.

Having said that, I do also believe fully that excessive weight gain is *very* bad. It seems that much of the support for gaining 25-35 lbs is based on the fact that with crappy nutritionally bereft foods, we have to eat excessively (and gain weight excessively) to meet nutrient requirements. 20 lbs weight gain should be enough for just about everyone if foods are nutritionally dense, biologically appropriate and coming from the *whole* animal (not just the muscles).

K
    or maybe another way to look at it is to pretty much forget the numbers (unless you suspect insulin resistance) and focus on eating whole foods the PB way.