Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coffee Creamer!!! page

Nathan Smetzer is offline Junior Member

Question Coffee Creamer!!!

Shop Now
    So this coffee mate, single-serving creamers seem okay to consume. Made with coconut oil, some dairy, and about 4g of sugar each, it has sugar but only a bit. I don't have access to anything better at the moment, is this going to set me back at all if I use maybe 2-4 of them a day? Thanks for the input.

K31Scout is offline Junior Member
    Look closely for hydrogenated oil in there. Most of those Coffee Mate creamers, liquid and dry, have it. If it's not in there they will brag about it on the label. I don't think any of that is good.

justjoem is offline Junior Member

trans fats

Quote Originally Posted by K31Scout View Post
    Look closely for hydrogenated oil in there. Most of those Coffee Mate creamers, liquid and dry, have it. If it's not in there they will brag about it on the label. I don't think any of that is good.
    I agree with this 100%

Check the label to see if it contains the words “partially hydrogenated” oil of any kind. The words “partially hydrogenated” is code for trans fats. The labels from most coffee mate says no trans fat even though it is present. This is allowed by the U.S. government labeling laws as it contains less the 0.5gm per serving. The problem is that a few servings of this very quickly gets to very toxic levels of trans fats. Regardless of feelings about the merits of high fat and low fat diets, everyone agrees that artificial trans fats are very bad. I will not eat anything with trans fats. Because of the inadequate labeling laws in the U.S. you must check for the words “partially hydrogenated” in the ingredients.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    if you only use 2-4 why not just cut it out. It can't be making *that* much difference.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    I can't believe you're trying to make a case that fake creamer is some acceptable food. I can't think of a worse substance on the planet (well, at least it doesn't have grain!). Crap oil and crap sweetener and some chemicals. Probably not a large enough amount to do you major harm but I won't consume that stuff under any circumstances. And I agree with Kennelmom, how much difference is it really making?

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member

mayness is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Smetzer View Post
    I don't have access to anything better at the moment, is this going to set me back at all if I use maybe 2-4 of them a day?
    Do you mean that you have nothing better for a few days until you can get to a grocery store? In that case, I doubt it will screw you up too much, 8-16g of sugar isn't the end of the world.

Coconut milk or heavy cream are the obvious choices once you're ready to switch. If the problem is a lack of refrigeration, they sell half & half in those little single servings that are stable at room temp - not ideal, but better than fake creamer crap. I've heard of coconut milk powder... I've never tried it but I bet that would work too.

Or you can do what I did, which is the simplest, cheapest, and most convenient method - start drinking your coffee black. =]
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Somewhere recently--wish I could remember where--I saw mini-cans of coconut milk, about the size of a typical tomato paste can. I laughed about it at the time, because what I was looking for was jumbo cans, which I've yet to find.

Anyway, those mini cans would be useful in place of 2-4 servings of creamer. I'm thinking of sticking some in my car for emergency use
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member
    I've only seen the Thai Kitchen Brand for those small cans you are talking about at Whole Foods. I can't drink coffee black either.

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    Somewhere recently--wish I could remember where--I saw mini-cans of coconut milk, about the size of a typical tomato paste can. I laughed about it at the time, because what I was looking for was jumbo cans, which I've yet to find.

Anyway, those mini cans would be useful in place of 2-4 servings of creamer. I'm thinking of sticking some in my car for emergency use
    Yeah! Our local Vitamin cottage carries those! I love having that as an option because I don't always want to open a big can!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast