Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Don't Know Where to Start.... page

1017pam is offline Junior Member

I Don't Know Where to Start....

Primal Fuel
    I stumbled across the Primal Blueprint while looking for Gluten/Dairy free recipes for my 12 year old daughter (serious gluten/dairy intolerance). In the last week my doctor has recommended I stop gluten, all grains and dairy to see if my chronic sinus infections, asthma and complete loss of smell would clear up. I also need to lose about 50 pounds. I had my body fat done a few years ago and it was over 40%. I;m sure it's the same if not higher at this point. My blood sugar is a bit high, bordering type 2. Leptin levels high as well. Cholesterol & blood pressure - great.
    After reading PB, I realized I was the typical SAD person. I ate low fat, high fiber/carb and couldn't understand why I was constantly hungry.

My main question/concern is that I noticed in Mark's book the examples/menus he used for weight loss were for already healthy people who were fit. I'm neither (as of now.) I just started increasing proteins, & fats and I already feel so much better. I eat lots of veggies and some fruits. No crashes in the afternoon or crazy cravings. I definitely feel less bloated in just 8 days on PB.

It's weird to not "count points" or calories, or whatever, but kind of freeing. I'm just afraid I'm not doing it correctly. How much is too much?

I've read alot of the newbie stuff, but I get the impression (maybe I'm wrong) that most people on this site don't have a lot of weight to lose. Do these "guidelines" apply to someone who is 50 lbs overweight?? I would really, really appreciate any input.

Thank you so much.

Pam

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! In addition to the Primal Blueprint 101 posts on the blog, read some of the success stories on the blog & forum--there are quite a few folks here who have had lots more weight to lose than you!

Simon is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations on your journey's start. I think with the PB it's easy to over analyse it and complicate things sometimes, particularly with the wealth of information on this site, Marks book and indeed other websites. I would just stick to the basic rules and make sure you're not slipping. For example, about a month in I realised I wasn't really committing to the exercise even though I *thought* I was - I wrote down what I was actually doing and saw I wasn't getting enough 'moving slowly' in my week. You'll find your appetite and eating patterns will settle down over 4-8 weeks and it all becomes pretty natural after that. You will know if you are overeating after that time - that's the great thing about this style of eating, it becomes more instinctive and natural. Good luck!

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1017pam View Post
    I stumbled across the Primal Blueprint while looking for Gluten/Dairy free recipes for my 12 year old daughter (serious gluten/dairy intolerance). In the last week my doctor has recommended I stop gluten, all grains and dairy to see if my chronic sinus infections, asthma and complete loss of smell would clear up.
    Wow - your doctor is a rare gem!
    ...My main question/concern is that I noticed in Mark's book the examples/menus he used for weight loss were for already healthy people who were fit.
    Yes. That goes against what we've got used to, doesn't it? The idea that there are special 'weight loss diets' you do for a limited time - as you couldn't possibly sustain them healthily for long anyway - and then once you've lost the weight, you go back to eating as before.

This is an alternative approach. To be a healthy, fit person, start by eating like one.

(Yes, you may naturally want to change the way you eat as your body changes, but there isn't a 'weight loss diet' here. Thank God.)

How much is too much?
    More than you need to feel satisfied

(My 'too much' comes when I eat out of boredom, habit, greed, the ingrained compulsion not to waste food... anything except hunger.)
    I've read alot of the newbie stuff, but I get the impression (maybe I'm wrong) that most people on this site don't have a lot of weight to lose. Do these "guidelines" apply to someone who is 50 lbs overweight?? I would really, really appreciate any input.

Thank you so much.

Pam
    I was about 165 lb (at 5'2" - ouch) back in May, and now I'm something like 130. (And no, I haven't counted anything at all, at any stage.) I think my optimal weight would be about 120, though I have been less. Basically, whatever I weigh once I feel 100% healthy and energetic will be fine by me. And what Dragonfly said - plenty of people have lost more than 50lbs, also without counting anything.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Don't have 50 lbs to lose, eh? Check this thread out and your question will be answered.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...light=pictures

K31Scout is offline Junior Member
    PB tells us keep carbs between 50-150 a day. If you want to burn lots of fat and no muscle, go down to 20 or less carbs for a month. You can still get a lot of vegies in there but no fruit. Won't hurt for a month or two and you'll appreciate the 50-150 carbs reintroduced after your weight lose.

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    Pam

I'm on the high end for loosing weight, after having 2 back to back babies in 2yrs! after I had ds this past march I was trying CW (WW + P90X) I did see an inital 13lbs weight loss with that, but then I stopped loosing... so I began looking for other options and stumbled upon PB via a P90X blog - so I've been on PB for almost 6wks. I've been GF for 5yrs so stopping grains was easy...adding in good fats was a challenge, and the first couple of weeks I was hungry like I wasn't even eating....Initially I gained some weight back - so don't worry about it if you do.... I've dropped the 5 or so lbs I gained back when I switched to PB, and I've even started loosing weight... I'm no longer Snacking, I eat good full fat meals, with protein and lots of veggies, and I occasionally eat some starches too. (I'm nursing so its important for me to eat enough to maintain my supply). I've cut back on intense cardio, and I've modified P90X to lift heavier, and in shorter time, and I'm taking long walks with the kids in the evenings (Weather permitting)

I've got 50+ lbs to loose and I'm confident it will come off... I'm at the lowest weight I've been since I had my first baby!

A lot of people recommend tracking occasionally to see if you're in the 50-100g of carbs/day - i tried that and for me it was too much like WW - so I stopped. I just make sure I'm cooking w/good fat (ghee, bacon fat, lard, coconut oil, or olive oil), have a good protein source and LOTS of Veggies at each meal. If I don't eat enough fat I get the munchies and I start looking for the quick fix carbs - I've also discovered I'm a bored eater... Now I just ignore those bored eating fits and just move on...and wait til my next meal...I'm also finding I'm not eating as much fruit as before - my sweet tooth is decreasing as well...

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    (My 'too much' comes when I eat out of boredom, habit, greed, the ingrained compulsion not to waste food... anything except hunger.)
    Soooo true that we have it ingrained in us to clean our plates and/or not waste food. I "solved" my compulsion by saving the little bits that aren't enough for a full meal the next day and using them as a PWO snack. A couple oz of meat and a little veggie is perfect PWO or for a snack. Keeps me from eating just a bit too much at meals.

Boredom, habit, greed...these are a bit trickier LOL Esp boredom!
    Last edited by kennelmom; 12-08-2010 at 08:14 AM.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

1017pam is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shijin13 View Post
    Pam

I'm on the high end for loosing weight, after having 2 back to back babies in 2yrs! after I had ds this past march I was trying CW (WW + P90X) I did see an inital 13lbs weight loss with that, but then I stopped loosing... so I began looking for other options and stumbled upon PB via a P90X blog - so I've been on PB for almost 6wks. I've been GF for 5yrs so stopping grains was easy...adding in good fats was a challenge, and the first couple of weeks I was hungry like I wasn't even eating....Initially I gained some weight back - so don't worry about it if you do.... I've dropped the 5 or so lbs I gained back when I switched to PB, and I've even started loosing weight... I'm no longer Snacking, I eat good full fat meals, with protein and lots of veggies, and I occasionally eat some starches too. (I'm nursing so its important for me to eat enough to maintain my supply). I've cut back on intense cardio, and I've modified P90X to lift heavier, and in shorter time, and I'm taking long walks with the kids in the evenings (Weather permitting)

I've got 50+ lbs to loose and I'm confident it will come off... I'm at the lowest weight I've been since I had my first baby!

A lot of people recommend tracking occasionally to see if you're in the 50-100g of carbs/day - i tried that and for me it was too much like WW - so I stopped.
    I just make sure I'm cooking w/good fat (ghee, bacon fat, lard, coconut oil, or olive oil), have a good protein source and LOTS of Veggies at each meal. If I don't eat enough fat I get the munchies and I start looking for the quick fix carbs - I've also discovered I'm a bored eater... Now I just ignore those bored eating fits and just move on...and wait til my next meal...I'm also finding I'm not eating as much fruit as before - my sweet tooth is decreasing as well...
    Thanks for that post. I know if I have to start counting and keeping track of carb grams, it's too much like WW for me and that so doesn't work for me.

jasonph is offline Senior Member
    Just eat good food, move around a little, and don't stress. Give it a year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast