Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you know you're getting enough calories? page

weird fish is offline Senior Member

How do you know you're getting enough calories?

Primal Fuel
    This has always been a source of stress for me, both while attempting to follow CW and since starting paleo/primal. I've always been told that a teenage girl needs about 1800 calories if she isn't doing any exercise, and 2000+ with exercise. I was slowly and steadily gaining weight eating about 1500 calories per day, unrestricted, combined with lethargy, sleep deprivation and constant stress which sometimes reached crisis-level. In three years I added 40 pounds to my small frame. While that sounds drastic, I estimate that only about half was from getting fat, the rest went towards growing half a foot taller + other puberty stuffs.

The first time I lost weight, ever, was when I ate 1000 calories per day for a couple weeks. I lost ~8lbs of water weight and steadily lost 10lbs over 2 months eating 900-1200 calories. While sticking to primal, eating this much hardly felt like a restriction. I was only ever tired when I slept horribly, I remained well-muscled, I could exercise well (I added calories for exercise), and my hair, skin and nails were always in good condition. When I avoid grains and sugar and sleep properly, I naturally consume 1300-1400 calories, and I only lose weight when in the ballpark of 1000. What's the deal? Why do I feel healthy and satiated eating this "starvation" diet? Even my maintenance level is in the supposed "starvation" zone. If, despite feeling healthy, I'm damaging my metabolism, what can I do to make my body use more calories without having to spend three hours a day on a treadmill?

Sorry for the long-ness, I feel like background is somewhat important with this issue.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    I do not believe that "starvation" is possible while eating a resonable ammount of high quality, nutrient dense foods.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    How close are you to your ideal body weight?

Edit: by ideal, I mean a weight that is healthy for your height and frame?

animalcule is offline Senior Member
    How tall are you now?

Beefsister is offline Senior Member
    You have the slowest metabolism ever, lol. I can lose 2 pounds a week on an 1800 calorie diet, even if it's carby.
    Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

Dualhammers is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefsister View Post
    You have the slowest metabolism ever, lol. I can lose 2 pounds a week on an 1800 calorie diet, even if it's carby.
    More than likely your body is extremely good at utilizing calories. If you feel fine at such a low level, then just be happy with it if it doesn't limit you or make you feel like you are being limited in what you eat. If eating really healthy foods and that is all your body wants, then so be it. The biggest part of primal is learning to listen to your body.

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefsister View Post
    you're kinda a jerk huh? many people (myself included) have been known to maintain under 1200 calories of SAD.

(full disclosure, I'm currently over 180 lbs and 5'2" and still working on kicking sugar)

Primalvore is offline Senior Member
    You sound like my twin. I seem to only be able to lose weight at about 1000 calories. I have PCOS and a pretty crappy metabolism, which I know are both contributing factors. It drives me crazy because it seems like it goes against all of the "conventional" wisdom of 1200 calories being the absolute minimum you should be eating. I always have a nagging feeling that I should be stuffing my face more because I fear I'm messing up my metabolism...but then the fear of gaining the weight back makes me feel more comfortable that I am completely full around 1000 calories!

Does anyone think we're messing up our metabolisms going this low? Or, like lojasmo and dualhammers point out, is this just the level that our body best utilizes calories?

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moonablaze View Post
    and still working on kicking sugar)
    Stop buying it, stop eating it.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Don't believe what you 'read' about how many calories you need, etc. We're all unique. I can only lose weight at 900-1000 calories, and I've had a genetically slow metabolism my entire life (according to my endocrinologist). I have a good friend who is approximately my height and weight who can lose on 2000 cal a day. People are different, and the 'estimates' that you read are based on useless generalities.

If you're eating healthy foods, and you're not hungry and not losing weight (unintentionally), then your calorie level is fine--for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast