Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The protein powder comparo thread page

thoraxe is offline Junior Member

Lightbulb The protein powder comparo thread

Primal Fuel
    After realizing my "crappy" protein powder was expired, I looked into organic / grass-fed whey powders. I've compiled a little spreadsheet that I wanted everyone to see. This is in no means an endorsement of any other product, or saying that Mark's "Primal Fuel" is bad. This is not an exhaustive comparison of the ins and outs of each product. I would appreciate feedback on other organic / grass-fed whey powders to add to this list:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...qQmw2ZGc&hl=en

Mark's product is solidly in the middle of the price per gram of protein in the container. It has some "extras" (coconut fat, natural sugars, etc) that some of the others don't. Are they worth the money, in your opinion?

One thing Mark's site does not indicate is whether or not the WPI in Primal Fuel comes from grass-fed hormone-free cows. Does anyone know either way?

I hope some people find this useful. I will probably buy some Primal Fuel to see how it tastes, since it is solidly in the middle of the "rankings," so to speak. Note that shipping prices are NOT included in these estimates. Feel free to let me know if you think that's way off.

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member
    Wow this is great! I like Jay Robb's a lot. I haven't tried the others. The Swanson one looks interesting. Tera's Whey is awesome. I think it's more expensive though.

For those who've tried Mark's, is it good? Does it taste really coconutty?
    Last edited by ShannonPA-S; 12-07-2010 at 05:42 PM.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    If anyone has a Wegmans near them (ie you live in the Northeast), I really like their store brand.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    I am in no way affiliated with Mark's products, but after having tried like every good powder i could find, I am solidly in the camp for Primal Fuel. It's so goddamn delicious and that means a lot to me. Also, I use it for brownies, puddings, and all sorts of other stuff and it just cooks really well. I freaking love it and I hope it stays around for awhile.

Bane is offline Senior Member
    I've thought of trying Jay Robb's after reading Maria tout it so often in her recipes: Maria's Food and Nutrition Journal.

One of these days I'm going to spring for Mark's powder. Maybe if I win the lottery... err... get some Christmas money.

Seriously though, I do plan on getting that powder some time. Just so I can see for myself what it's all about.

Longquan is offline Member
    I use the organic & grass fed plain whey from Defense Nutrition, tastes great, even with water, and contains no chemicals and other useless stuff. I wanted to try Jarrows because of the cheaper price but it contains Soy Lecithin.

alireb is offline Member
    I actually use the Swanson and really like it. It uses whey protein from grass fed hormone free cows.

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    By the way, you can call Mark's customer service and get a sample of each flavor for $5.95. Some of the people there don't seem to realize they still have them, though. I just got mine and plan to test it out in the next week or two.

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for compiling all of that info, thoraxe! Very useful.

*My* main concern when selecting a protein powder is... how insulinergic is it? Today's MDA post concerns the insulinogenic effects of dairy, including casein, and mentions that casein and, especially, whey, are very insulinogenic. As someone who needs to reduce my BF%, and who is aware that I am insulin-impaired, I'm trying to determine what type of protein powder would be *best* to use. Any input? I have been trying to lose weight following the PB, and the only typical deviation from PB is that I have been taking ~3 heaping tablespoons of hydrolyzed casein every day; my morning fasting blood glucose levels are bad (120-130 range), and I haven't been able to take off any weight, despite otherwise following a very healthy PB diet. Mark's post below struck me like a bolt of lightning... it's probably the casein that's the source of my problems!

On Dairy and Insulin
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dairy...in/#more-18699

(Note: I have a specific health issue that requires me to use protein powder to get extra protein. The protocol that I'm on requires the protein to be hydrolyzed, while Mark's post above mentions that hydrolyzed protein (whey) seems to provoke a particularly large and prolonged insulin response. Any ideas of which hydrolyzed protein might be the least-insulin-provoking?)

Here is the site from which I typically order my protein:
    http://www.trueprotein.com/product_l...spx?cid=22&v=2

It seems that the pea protein isolate, rice protein, whole egg, egg white, and hemp protein are all non-dairy, non-whey, non-soy options. Does anyone know which is the highest-quality form of protein and provokes the smallest insulin response?

Insulin Index
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/insulin-index/

excerpt: "High protein, virtually no-carb foods like meat and eggs, while low on the glycemic index, measured high on the insulin index. In other words, while the meat and eggs didn’t cause a spike in blood sugar the way most carbohydrates do, they did result in an unexpectedly significant rise in insulin."
    Last edited by healthseekerKate; 01-11-2011 at 11:55 AM.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wow thanks for the effort and posting this Thoraxe. I will be looking into these other protein powders in the future.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast