Thread: Fast-Feast/Grazing page

Iskander is offline Member

Fast-Feast/Grazing

Primal Fuel
    So, I get that grazing is bad. But what actually constitutes grazing? How long between eating do I need to wait to avoid it?

Is it best to just go with a fast-feast model and eat one or two large meals during the day, and fast the rest of the time?

Would throwing in small snacks (like nuts, or coffee/tea with heavy cream, or even a piece of fruit) count as grazing between meals?
    "A man in this world without learning is as a beast of the field."

My Primal Journal

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Just when you are actually hungry - not bored or tired or procrastinating or <insert reason people eat even though they aren't really hungry>. Just eat when you are truly hungry. Everyone seems to be a little different with respect to optimal meal frequency. I typically eat twice a day. That works for me. Some days I'm a little extra hungry and I might have a snack or a third meal.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kennelmom View Post
    Just when you are actually hungry - not bored or tired or procrastinating or <insert reason people eat even though they aren't really hungry>. Just eat when you are truly hungry. Everyone seems to be a little different with respect to optimal meal frequency. I typically eat twice a day. That works for me. Some days I'm a little extra hungry and I might have a snack or a third meal.
    +1
    I'm usually the same as kennelmom when I'm at work or busy at the weekends, but I'm stuck at home today and have fallen into graze mode. It doesn't help that my partner isn't primal so there's a big bag of chocolate covered almonds taunting me! At least they're nuts... 20% maybe :-\

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Me too. While I typically eat twice a day it's not rare for me to add a third, sometimes even fourth meal especially on the weekends. The problem with grazing that I see is what Kennelmom said, too many people tend to eat when they're bored even if they're not actually hungry. Eat when you're hungry, if this ends up looking like a fast/feast type of model then so be it.

People that are looking to lose fat should be more careful with the grazing approach as it can easily end up adding unnecessary calories to your day.

Iskander is offline Member
    Hmn. Thanks for the advice, guys. I guess I'll have to work on eating when I'm hungry. I have no issue telling when I'm definitely not hungry (and have cut out boredom eating from my diet almost entirely), but I have a bit more trouble actually figuring out when I AM hungry. I keep telling myself that I'm not really hungry and that I can wait a few more hours before eating. An unfortunate, and distasteful, remnant of the few years where I thought 1k calories a day was massively overeating.
    "A man in this world without learning is as a beast of the field."

My Primal Journal