Thread: Primal Journal (CardioJunkie) page

CardioJunkie is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal (CardioJunkie)

Primal Fuel

Ok, I'm back. After pretty much winding the last 2 weeks of the challenge, I have been in a pregnancy/carbohydrate induced fog that has finally lifted! I have been feeling pretty sick for the past couple weeks, and have basically let myself eat anything (everything) that remotely sounded good. (Read, not very primal-like.) Well, nothing really seemed to help, and in the last couple weeks I've put on about 6lbs, so yesterday I decided that enough was enough, and I was going to get back on the wagon, like it or not. So back to eggs & avocado for breakfast, leftover ribeye for lunch, made a batch of banana nut bars (somewhat primal) and finished the day with pork tenderloin & vegetables. And wouldn't you know it, I started feeling better! It may be coincidence, but I don't think so because I'm only 9 weeks along, so by all counts I'm not quite over the morning sickeness. I've continued today to eat more primally, and I STILL feel good! Imagine that.

I'm also deciding that I am no longer going to try to keep running (as I have been) and instead today I took a long bike ride over my lunch hour and it was great. Running was NOT feeling good at all, I was getting up at the crack of dawn to do it, and it was adding to my exhaustion. I know it doesn't sound like much, but these have been big changes for me.

Going to try to keep up with this journal as my motivation.

The last week has been pretty un-eventful for me. Still feeling a bit pregnancy-sick, and not eating as healthy as I would like, but making progress. I've been tracking my food for the last several days and my carbs have been in the 200g-250g range. Not great, I know, but better than the 300-400g range I found myself in trying to combat nausea. My goal is to try to regularly get below 200g, and then try to get below 150g. Realistically if I can maintain between 100-150g I will be happy with that.

I have not run since last week, but I have taken a couple long bike rides. It's getting to be fall-ish here in the midwest and the days have been sunny & beautiful. Also making an effort to walk 2 miles once a day, either in the morning or evening.

Down to two weeks until the end of my first trimester, I'm hoping to feel more "normal" soon!

Monday again, and didn't start the week off too well. I have re-visited Mark's carbohydrate curve and need to really focus on lowering my carb intake. I am still averaging between 200-300g per day, which is way too high. Feeling the effects too, although I'm pregnant and I know weight gain is going to happen, I can still be controlled about it. Going to re-focus this week.

My transition to walking has gone well, I have not run in almost 2 weeks! I am adding pushups, dips, lunges, squats, and planks to my walk (I have the luxury of walking on a deserted golf course early in the morning so no strange looks!). The planks are getting rough, I am shaking after 30 seconds, but still trying. Feeling good just a little "heavy" from the excessive carbs.

slesca is offline Senior Member
    Rural midwest; just outside a mid-sized city

PrimalCon New York

CardioJunkie, I'm about 3 weeks behind you on the pregnancy train, and I just wanted to offer my support! I've been trying to keep up with the primal habits I've established over the past four months and struggle the most with just getting out and doing something in the evenings when I'm exhausted. Have you had another pregnancy? This is my second and I'm curious to compare the 1st and 2nd time around with a drastically different nutrition/fitness plan (I was a "cardio junkie" and vegetarian for baby 1). I have already felt a lot more stable- emotionally, energy, appetite, etc, but have no idea whether that's due to the PB or not.

Congrats and good luck!