Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darkness of Winter inducing Pizza cravings... page

Barb is online now Senior Member

Darkness of Winter inducing Pizza cravings...

I went primal in Feb. I stopped eating grains and have had no cravings for cereals or bread or even pizza since I changed my diet. I will admit to some sweet cravings that are easily satisfied by a bit of chocolate or some fruit, but the grain thing just never happened.

Now it is December. I live in dark and dreary Seattle at latitude 47. The sun is above the horizon only 8 hours a day and even then it is shrouded in a cloak of grey cloud cover. I have never been primal through the darkest period of winter. Suddenly I find myself wanting to make oatmeal for breakfast and I had a screaming pizza craving for dinner last night. This has really struck me as very odd.

Overall, I am finding that I am craving carbs a lot more the past couple weeks than at anytime since I went primal. It feels directly related to the lack of sunlight. I am feeding my carb cravings with more root vegetables like carrots, potatoes, and parsnips, as well as apples and oranges. So far I have avoided the grains.

Anyone else at dark northern latitudes feeling more dragged out, more carb cravings during winter?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Yup, absolutely. I eat a lot of winter squash, carrots, onions and sweet potatoes this time of year as opposed to "lighter" veggies through the spring, summer and early fall. Actually, those are pretty much my staples through winter.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I'm fortunate enough to liver further south (~32 degrees), so feel free the dismiss any suggestions I might give, as I may not know what I'm talking about, haha.

Maybe more vitamin D would help.
    Maybe you are also craving foods that are usually served very warm; try chili or hot tea/coffee to warm from the inside out.
    And there is always cauliflower+cheese crust if you have to make pizza! Hehe.

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    Yes! It's awful. I'm making more roasted root veggies, esp sweet potatoes lately and I'm trying to make comfort foods like beef stew, chicken soup, chili... but I really have just wanted some homemade mac and cheese or spaghetti and meat sauce...with garlic bread Things that I really wouldn't crave in the summer. Ohwell, it's only about 4 more months until we can break out the grill again and pretend it's warm until it really is.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Anyone else at dark northern latitudes feeling more dragged out, more carb cravings during winter?
    Surprisingly, no! In fact, my husband bought me a sweeter chocolate than I usually eat & it was too sweet for me. I have been eating a bit more fat as well as sweet potatoes--but not huge amounts.

+100 on the Vitamin D suggestion. I live on the Olympic Peninsula and have noticed how much better my mood is during our dreary weather. Have been supplementing for over a year with 8,000 IUs.

Barb is online now Senior Member
    I have been supplementing 4000 IUs Vit D daily since sept, was on 2000 IUs during the summer. Maybe I should get my level tested to see if I am in a good range.

I have had the mac and cheese craving multiple times as well!!! I might have to give in to that maybe once this winter......

Karma is offline Senior Member
    You need a "happy lamp" full spectrum light in your home. Sit under it for a while every afternoon, it really helps with Seasonal Adjustment Disorder and the blahs that come with it. I had a room mate in college who had one and she was a totally different person after a "happy lamp" session. Or go vation in LaPaz for a week in December!

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    Its your internal clock...that lack of light says its time to pack on the fat and hibernate, and there's no better way to induce weight gain and sluggishness than carbs. Evolution-wise, makes complete sense. Sub-par food slows down metabolism, because we're obviously not finding the good stuff, like wild antelope liver or something.....

I second the vitamin d and happy lamp suggestions. Hawaii or a tropical island would be the ultimate happy lamp....but not as affordable as a lightbulb (darn). I want to curl up with a good pizza when the weather gets dark and gloomy, too.

Iskander is offline Member
    I had a huge pizza craving last night. More for the cheese and pepperoni than anything else, though. Went with Chinese instead.

I find that, in general, I tend to crave fat more during the winter than any other time of the year. I want creamier soups, nuts, and other fat-rich foods.
    "A man in this world without learning is as a beast of the field."

My Primal Journal

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am at 33 degrees in Atlanta. Major increases in carb cravings with the onset of winter.

And it's not a D issue

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast