Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BCAA and light food to eat before a Crossfit page

strom is offline Senior Member

BCAA and light food to eat before a Crossfit

Primal Fuel
    I like doing crossfit at around 6:30 am in the morning since it makes my energy levels about normal. wake up at 5:45 and probably should immediately start drinking water. Should I eat anything besides a small apple and some bcaa powder? The bcaa powder tastes nasty without some sort of strong flavor to hide it, open to suggestions on that. According to martin berhan at leangains, you should take the 10g bcaa before and after a workout.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    That doesn't seem like much time to go from being dead asleep to pushing your body into overdrive. I know my energy levels would seriously suffer if I didn't give my body a chance to actually fully wake up.

Completely unrelated to your question and most likely completely unhelpful, but there ya go.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Coffee!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Are you looking for energy?

BCAAs are NOT meant to give you an energy boost at all. Martin recommends them only for fasted trainees (as you would be) but for other purposes (protein synthesis, preventing catabolism, etc) and an apple probably wouldn’t do much towards energy either.

I would make sure to eat well the previous night, maybe with good primal carbs to ensure plenty of glycogen going into the workout. I’ve never done crossfit though but whenever I lift or sprint in the morning (fasted) I feel good and strong. I take BCAA for what it’s worth.

To second what Tfarny said, coffee with some coconut oil might give you a nice boost.

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    You actually have a problem if you try to mix the BCAAs with anything containing water since they are hydrophobic and tend to clump and float around. I would be curious about melting some coconut oil, dissolving the BCAAs in there, letting it cool, and then eating the result ( maybe use an ice cube tray to reform the BCAA nuggets? ). This seems like a bit of overkill to me though.

Just get yourself a capsule machine and some empty gelcaps. Fill them with your BCAA powder and then just down a fistful with water ( size 0 gelcaps are about 500 mg so you would need to take 20 for your 10 g. ). This is what I do, and it is certainly better than trying to deal with the taste.

As an aside, despite what Martin says, studies show that BCAA ingestion before a workout does not affect muscle protein synthesis. After a workout, however, they are indeed beneficial. You also need to be aware that BCAAs are quite insulinogenic, which is not something that you want prior to working out. Again, after a workout, when you have depleted muscle glycogen and muscles are insulin sensitive, it's ok.

-PK

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    strom: I wouldn't bother with eating a huge breakfast. I think it's better to eat most of your calories post-workout.

pklopp: Do you have links or studies? I've been taking BCAA pre-workout and just eating post- but if you have evidence that this isn't the best idea, I'd like to see it. Thanks

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pklopp View Post
    You actually have a problem if you try to mix the BCAAs with anything containing water since they are hydrophobic and tend to clump and float around. I would be curious about melting some coconut oil, dissolving the BCAAs in there, letting it cool, and then eating the result ( maybe use an ice cube tray to reform the BCAA nuggets? ). This seems like a bit of overkill to me though.

Just get yourself a capsule machine and some empty gelcaps. Fill them with your BCAA powder and then just down a fistful with water ( size 0 gelcaps are about 500 mg so you would need to take 20 for your 10 g. ). This is what I do, and it is certainly better than trying to deal with the taste.

As an aside, despite what Martin says, studies show that BCAA ingestion before a workout does not affect muscle protein synthesis. After a workout, however, they are indeed beneficial. You also need to be aware that BCAAs are quite insulinogenic, which is not something that you want prior to working out. Again, after a workout, when you have depleted muscle glycogen and muscles are insulin sensitive, it's ok.

-PK
    20 gel caps? sounds like a butt-load when I can just chug half a glass for my 10g.

I do eat post workout. Would vomit if I ate more than say an apple and some nuts pre workout if at all. Biggest issue I had last time was not being hydrated enough so I could only do about half of the workout. Warmup was pretty rediculous too, but I got that done.

having london broil and latkes tonight.

Its more for recovery. Had some orange juice mixed with coconut milk (light) for some energy. Hope it works.

chickenbackside is offline Senior Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast