Thread: Vegetable Oil? page

Jonah is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

I have a salad dressing recipe that calls for vegetable oil. I'd rather not use corn or soybean oil (which I believe is what you typically get in supermarket "vegetable oil"). What would be a good alternative? I'd also rather not use EVOO since I think that might change the taste too much.

Thanks,

Jonah

AndreaC is offline Member

Walnut (and other nut) oil is tasty for dressing and works well with sweeter dishes.

Coconut oil will work if it's a not a refrigerated dish (it'll harden).

Sesame oil (toasted!) is good in asian inspired dishes or saltier items.

And then there's just the "light" EVOO, it's got significantly less flavor. I use it in homemade mayo without adding olive flavor.

primal pete is offline Senior Member

vegetable oil isn't naturally bad, quite the contrary actually. The reason things like soybean oil are bad for you in conventional foods is that they undergo massive amounts of processing, for example hydrogenation which creates trans fats.

you can use anything really

olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil, nut oil...anything that can have oil squeezed out of it basically.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

pete, you are in error on two counts. Vegetable oils ARE, at the least, not good for you, regardless of the processing. They are high in the polyunsaturated fats with attendant high levels of Omega 6. For that reason, primarily, vegetable oils ARE naturally quite bad.

One of the pillars of paleo and primal is that these oils were not in our diets until late in the 19th century and didn't really take off until the eartly 20th.......right in line with increased heart diseases.

The only vegetable oils that get hydrogenation are the ones made into solid shortening like Crisco. Liquid ones are not hydrogenated.

klcarbaugh Guest

I agree with OnTheBayou. I use the best oil ever! It is completely liquid at room temperature and is a blend of macadamia oil (lowest monounsaturated oil in n-6), coconut oil, and red palm oil. I think it is organic too. I get mine at whole foods... it's called original paradise oil from jungle products.

http://www.junglepi.com/news/index.html

Jonah is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Light OO might do the trick.

klcarbaugh, it looks like they don't sell that product any more... too bad.

OnTheBayou, what recommendations do you have?

nina_70 Guest

We often use macademia-nut oil from slanker's grass-fed meats (which is where we buy our meats too)

http://slankersgrassfedmeats.com/

Also, been using coconut oil at home too